Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between spending $600 on the HSU vs $300 on the Klipsch or Jamo. I will use the sub primarily for HT and gaming. We're planning to move in the next year or so, and I'd really like to step up to something like the Submersive or Captivator, but those subs won't fit in the current space. Thus, I'm trying to find a sub that will hold me over for a year or two. We don't listen at reference levels at all.

I don't mind spending the $$ on the HSU if you guys think it will be substantially better than the $300 offerings. I just like to get a good value for my dollar (who doesn't) and want to make sure there would be a significant different between the two. I'd rather spend $300 now, if those subs will do ok, and then take less of a hit when it comes time to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Hey guys,
I'm trying to decide between spending $600 on the HSU vs $300 on the Klipsch or Jamo. I will use the sub primarily for HT and gaming. We're planning to move in the next year or so, and I'd really like to step up to something like the Submersive or Captivator, but those subs won't fit in the current space. Thus, I'm trying to find a sub that will hold me over for a year or two. We don't listen at reference levels at all.
I don't mind spending the $$ on the HSU if you guys think it will be substantially better than the $300 offerings. I just like to get a good value for my dollar (who doesn't) and want to make sure there would be a significant different between the two. I'd rather spend $300 now, if those subs will do ok, and then take less of a hit when it comes time to upgrade.
Thanks in advance.
In small room and just for HT & game, no music, Klisph will do ok for you. But if you wanna spend 600 bucks, why not 2 Klisph ?
Single Hsu = dual Klipsh = 600 shipped.
I got both VTF3MK2 Hsu and RW-12D Klipsch. The VTF3-2 is older model but similar to VTF3MK4 which is big brother of VTF2MK4
The single Hsu dig deeper for sure and dual rw-12d won’t dig deep as Hsu but will have an inherent significant advantage over a single of same size, 3 to 6 dB of increased output plus the potential for flatter frequency response across a larger seating area
If you using two or more carefully positioned and phased subwoofers can further reduce distortion, minimize response variation due to room modes and enhance transient response.
There's no substitute for smooth bass response and add more output. IMO
post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Tough call because of temporary situation. Personally, I say get two klipsch or jamos and give the next guy a good deal when you sell them to upgrade. Resale value in a year though, the hsu will probably hold its value better though you would have to sell to somebody knowing what they are getting.

butter and jelly please.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the thoughts. At much as I don't want to admit, since this is our main living room, 1 sub is all I'm going to be able to squeeze in. I'm already dreading the looks from the wife when I bring home a big box to stick in the corner.

The main TV room is fairly small, but does open up to the breakfast nook and kitchen, so overall, its a fairly big room. I guess I don't doubt that singly, the HSU would be better, I'm just trying to determine if 2x better or not (or if I'm going to be able to hear an audible difference).

Part of me just says suck it up and get the HSU. $300 isn't THAT big a deal, but then I think, man only spending $300 would be nice, too. A lot of other hobbies to pay for.... smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 322
If you're definitely going to move soon, and have your heart set on getting a beastly sub after you do, then save your money now and just get the Klipsch. Patience; in the long run it may prove to have been the wisest choice.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 7 Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 481
How big is your room? Dimmensions?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #7 of 7 Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The tv room is about 1400 ft^3 opening up to another 2400 ft^3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page