$525 for an HSU VTF3 MK3 good deal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I am looking to buy a quality sub that excels in both music and movies. I was originally looking at an STF -2 but I just found someone local selling their VTF3 MK3 (last years model) for $525. Is this a good price? Would it be worth it for me? My room is small only 14x13 but I am definitely looking for an amazing sub that I will never be looking to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 440
It's an OK deal, depending on when the mk3 was made. The mk3 has been out for awhile and had changes made to it was available, so not all mk3s are alike although the changes are mostly aesthetic. If it's an older mk3, I wouldn't spend that much, but if it is a newer one, that is not a bad deal. Check to see when it was made. If it is like 5+ years old, I wouldn't spend more than $400, but if it is only a couple years, than that isn't bad. One way to tell the difference is a newer mk3 will have a smooth matte black finish, whereas an older one will have a rougher plasticy finish with a seam around the top of the cabinet.

Here is a picture of an older one:

Here is a newer one:
post #3 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Check to see when it was made. If it is like 5+ years old, I wouldn't spend more than $400, but if it is only a couple years, than that isn't bad.

The owner said it was purchased in May 11' . If that is the truth then i guess this would be considered a good deal then. Thanks for the input.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I paid $370 for the newer version, but mine had a bunch of scratches on it, probably from pets. And I had to buy a plug from hsu. But yeah, if it's the newer version, and it is mint, that is a good price.

butter and jelly please.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 637
It's not a good deal right now since the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX is onsale at $600 shipped. The EX is comparable, in the same performance class as the VTF3.3. Makes more sense to get a new sub for only $75 more. Here's a review of the EX: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/lfm-1-ex-review

post #6 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

It's not a good deal right now since the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX is onsale at $600 shipped. The EX is comparable, in the same performance class as the VTF3.3. Makes more sense to get a new sub for only $75 more. Here's a review of the EX: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/lfm-1-ex-review

Agreed. Even if it's the new version Hsu, I'd go for the new sub with warranty! There aren't many complaints when it comes to the EX around here. cool.gif
post #7 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Agreed. Even if it's the new version Hsu, I'd go for the new sub with warranty! There aren't many complaints when it comes to the EX around here. cool.gif

Highly agree here. Spend the extra money for the new sub WITH a warranty. It will be money spent wisely!

Jeff
post #8 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 AM

Looks like OP and I are cruising the same craigslist ads -- I think I contacted this seller about the same sub ...

FWIW, I confirmed that the HSU warranty does transfer upon resale and so, if the seller can be believed, the amp warranty would be good through May 2013. Regardless, I think the seller is asking a bit much for this older model (with fewer adjustment capabilities than the current 3.4), particularly when you can get the new Outlaw for $600 shipped.

Assuming it's the same sub, I gave the guy a lowball offer, which he rejected.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebo View Post

Looks like OP and I are cruising the same craigslist ads -- I think I contacted this seller about the same sub ...

I was looking at Central New Jersey Craigslist. I offered $500 but they did not respond to me yet. The ad said it was only a year and a half old.

Is the Outlaw better then the HSU that it would be worth the extra $100?
post #10 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Keep in mind my space is only 14x13x8 which is just under 1500 sq ft. Would it be better getting a smaller sub like maybe the m8? or even 2 m8's?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
How about the klipsch rw-12d? Smaller subs just can't dig deep as a bigger sub and most of the subs recommended here have good to great output. You can get two klipsch's for the money you're looking to spend. Or better yet, two jamo 650's for less.

butter and jelly please.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlearn View Post

I was looking at Central New Jersey Craigslist. I offered $500 but they did not respond to me yet. The ad said it was only a year and a half old.

From my understanding the Outlaw and HSU share the same tech. Imho it's worth the extra $100. But hey it's not my money it's your's. But you can't go wrong with the newer sub.

Jeff
post #13 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlearn View Post

Yeah, it's the same ad. It's not so much that the Outlaw is better than the Hsu -- I think there would be a difference of opinion on these boards, and many would prefer the HSU -- it's the fact that one of the subs is new while the other is used. You don't know how hard the used Hsu has been pushed, it may be difficult to fully evaluate it before purchasing, and you have about 8 months of amp warranty left. With the new Outlaw, you're getting a new sub with a full warranty. Worth an extra $100 IMO.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page