post #61 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Fished my cables under the carpet pretty easily. Nobody is calling it the "norm", just pointing out that using 4 subs has nothing to do with "a room as big as a commercial theater".

So you removed the carpet, put the cables under and put the carpet back? That is a lot of work and this is the kind of effort I feel that only some 1 or 2% would take. May be if I am planning to get rid of the old carpet and put a new one or if it is a new house, then that MAY be possibility. I may call it extreme but you may substitute a polite word if you like, say "out of the ordinary".

I am an audio/video enthusiasts but just don' t want to take the kind of extreme measures like removing the carpet (whether in the middle or just around the edges of the room) or drilling through the basement/sub-floor etc.

I do experiment with speakers like book shelf vs floor standing, horizontal center vs vertical center etc. As you can see in the picture below, I have all the cables lying on the carpet. They are not neatly hidden under the carpet or taken through the basement. It may not look nice but I can live with that. Once I figure out which speakers to keep, I may add a second sub to the left. But that's it. But 4 subs? I dont think so.

Edit: No they are not hooked up at the same time. Front stage is only 3.1 at a given time. yep that is my sub. Now you know why I insist on the weight so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

I see SEVEN front speakers. And you think a multi-subwoofer system is weird??? eek.gif How is what you're doing with speakers appreciably different than what the OP is doing with subwoofers???

It's hard to tell, but I don't see any seating between the equipment racks and the speakers. You don't actually have the equipment racks between the seating and the speakers, do you???

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #63 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

Again, stop being condescending.

There was nothing -- absolutely nothing -- condescending about what I said. Stop fabricating a reason to be so nasty.

Quote:

I have nothing more to add.

Nothing "more" to add? What have you added thus far?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #64 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

FWIW, I thought it was pretty obvious, given that you answered the question with the first sentence in the first post in this thread - "I call it my living room!" - and then you followed up with "So how about a little contest? Think you know your subwoofers? Can you guess what they are?"

Yup, that's exactly what this thread was supposed to be all about.

post #65 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The only one I could positively identifiy was also the Power Sound sub.....others look famiiar, particularly the one with the decorative rivets/buttons on top (what are those things?)

Can't tell you that, it would ruin the surprise. biggrin.gif

I'll give you a hint; those aren't decorative, nor are they buttons. Those are allen bolts used to seal the top chamber.

post #66 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

Good to see conservatives and extremists from multiple camps come together in this thread eek.gif

Yea, lucky me... mad.gif

post #67 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Whats the use of evaluating so many subwoofers and spending so much money on shipping?

Doesn't cost me a dime; the manufacturers pay shipping both ways. I suspect the value of reviews is self-explanatory though.

post #68 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I don't think he deserves to be called extreme, what he does is help out community for those researching a budget subwoofer.

Thanks... smile.gif

Quote:

Theres nothing extreme or conservative about anyone on this board, majority of the public thinks having any speakers outside of your tv is extreme even more so if you want a subwoofer.

No extremists on AVS? I think this thread could certainly provide a counter-argument to that... biggrin.gif

post #69 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny View Post

I believe thread titles intents are to grab the readers attention to look into the topic further. I then look into the first couple of paragraphs to read the intention of the thread. What I found is that most of the subs in his home are used for reviews and that he has another room used for storage. I believe he wanted to host a competition to see us guess the companies names and possibly the make of each sub. This process was something I learned in middle school but I wouldn't trust me after all since I'm just from Nebrasky. I can talk about corn though, yep. It is real nice.

Not only were you spot on, this was funny as well! Thanks for the laugh - after reading some of the derisive posts I needed a good one like this. wink.gif

post #70 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I see SEVEN front speakers. And you think a multi-subwoofer system is weird??? eek.gif How is what you're doing with speakers appreciably different than what the OP is doing with subwoofers???
It's hard to tell, but I don't see any seating between the equipment racks and the speakers. You don't actually have the equipment racks between the seating and the speakers, do you???

I did not say that they are all hooked up at the same time. I said I am experimenting with book shelf vs floor standing, vertical center vs horizontal center and that I will decide which ones to keep later.
post #71 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Nothing "more" to add? What have you added thus far?

See that is being condescending. When I said "add" I meant add to the argument. If you want people to respect you, you have to stop being condescending. I know you do a lot of reviews, help out people and contribute to the forum more than anybody else. But you cant expect people to throw accolades at you all the time.
post #72 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW there are 5 front speakers, 1 center speaker and a sub. Like I said they are not hooked up at the same time. Front stage is only 3.1 at a given time. I am still experimenting. I switch between the front book shelf and floor standing speakers, between the vertical center (single black front speaker) and horizontal center. Of course I move the black front speaker to the middle when I try it as a "vertical center"

What I called as "extreme" or "weird" or whatever was not a photo op of subs lined up in the living room. My reaction was to the idea of hooking all 9 subs together and writing a review about it.
post #73 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See that is being condescending. When I said "add" I meant add to the argument. If you want people to respect you, you have to stop being condescending.

The alleged condescension only seems to be a problem for you, so I guess that proves my point about it being fabricated. Now unless you can guess what any of those subs are -- which is why I started this thread -- then perhaps it's time for you to move on.

post #74 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Your challenge is very difficult, even for those of us who hang around the bass subwoofer forum to point of addiction. Ha I can't do it. I only identified the PSA sub as well, and figured I'd come back and take a closer look on my computer instead of my mobile phone --- but even now don't know what they are.

Why?

Many times the subs you review are relatively unknown, or at least not typically the defacto recommendation around here - thus not much traffic. Nothing wrong with that - but it does make your identification challenge quite difficult! tongue.gif

Oh no! I was counting on you to be able to identify at least a of few of them. You let me down... biggrin.gif

Most of them are indeed obscure, but when I finally divulge what they are a few you'll find are not really arcane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I don't see the Crystal Acoustic TX-12Sub in there that I've had hands on, you must have already shipped that one back. I got nothing...tongue.gif

Correct. That's one of the units in a box waiting for a call tag.

post #75 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I did not say that they are all hooked up at the same time. I said I am experimenting with book shelf vs floor standing, vertical center vs horizontal center and that I will decide which ones to keep later.
And the OP doesn't have all 9 of those subs hooked up at the same time either. So, how is what you're doing appreciably different from what he's doing?

And you didn't answer the question about where your seating is placed relative to the equipment racks.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #76 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I think the front row, second from left is a Simply Sound Rumba 12.
(edit to add) and in the second row, left to right:
position 1) Crystal Acoustics TX-12Sub (although Archea doesn't seem to agree)
position 3: Speakercraft V12
position 4) Power Sound Audio XS15

Wow, very good - you got 3 out of 4 right. Congrats, you're in the lead!

post #77 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You nailed one of my two ace-in-the-hole subs! eek.gif You didn't get that up from some other forum, did ya? tongue.gif

post #78 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, for those of you who actually understand what this thread is supposed to be about -- assuming you haven't unsubscribed because of all the extraneous BS -- here's where you stand on the guesses...

Front Row (left to right)
1:
2: Simply Sound Audio Rumba 12
3:
4:
5: Source Loudspeaker HVS 10

Back Row (left to right)
1:
2:
3: SpeakerCraft V12
4: PowerSound Audio XS15

That's four down, five to go.

Here's a hint for you; number 1 and number 4 on the front row will probably be the easiest. One of them is from a company that's pretty well known on this forum, and has been in business for a while. The other is from a company akin to the Phoenix; died off, but was subsequently resurrected. Any ideas? smile.gif

post #79 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And the OP doesn't have all 9 of those subs hooked up at the same time either. So, how is what you're doing appreciably different from what he's doing?
And you didn't answer the question about where your seating is placed relative to the equipment racks.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1427255/if-2-subs-are-good-and-4-even-better-what-do-you-call-9/0_20#post_22363074

He may not have hooked up all at the same time but it is the idea and the support for that idea (i.e hooking them all up and writing a review) that was the cause for the reaction. I really have nothing more to "say" in this thread. You guys can continue the fun with the contest smile.gif
post #80 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

He may not have hooked up all at the same time but it is the idea and the support for that idea (i.e hooking them all up and writing a review) that was the cause for the reaction. I really have nothing more to "say" in this thread. You guys can continue the fun with the contest smile.gif

Your wrong on all of your points except for that fact that you realize he DID NOT hook them up. Point to me where he is pushing the idea that you need 9 subwoofer? Can you please do that? I can't fine it anywhere other than you just making BS up. Glad you have nothing more to say. You haven't added anything to the thread other than just complaining that someone has 9 subs not hooked up sitting in his living room with some getting shipped back. His reviews have been single subs running only, not all together nor has he hammered on every post that you need multiple subs.
post #81 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look at all those unnessary speakers its ridiculous to have that many speakers in the front. Why would you do that its just so uncalled for. Your ruining the forum and this hobby by doing that, I also don't like the way you push your agenda that you need all those speakers in the front even if you don't have them hooked up its just the idea that you having them there and posting a picture on this thread and forum.

Whooaaa now I sound like you rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
post #82 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Of course it depends on the way you come across whether you get "straightened out" pounding your chess will get you some heat for sure. But no one has a problem with anyone that owns mega high end amps or DACs ect... Its when you come across that pretending to know everything, disregarding facts cause they don't match your Golden ears or making remarks that everyone elses stuff is junk because they don't own some boutique brand with a huge price tag.

Many folks that purchase megabuck amps and the like, typically makes claims of sonic improvements over and above mainstream amps. They never admit they're making those purchases for vain reasons, which I suspect is the real reason, they come in making unsubstantiated audio claims.
post #83 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

What does that have to do with what Jim posted? He reviews budget/mid level subs and ships them back. He just put them in the same room and took a picture as just a guessing game, harmless fun for the forum to just make some guesses.

Also no one jumps on anyone for actually owning something like a $40,000 Krell monoblock, its when they start pushing the snake oil BS that gets them in trouble. I also don't see much issue in someone stating and opinion that they think they hear a difference between amp A or B its when they discard the facts and push an agenda.
post #84 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You nailed one of my two ace-in-the-hole subs! eek.gif You didn't get that up from some other forum, did ya? tongue.gif

I was kind of actually interested in that sub so kind of just researched around till I found it. Now that I found out what it is and seen the specs and price, its a pass for me.
post #85 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Jim,

Your Phoenix clue gave away one of them.

I'd read about the RSL Speedwoofer and your clue helped me identify it as #1

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #86 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look at all those unnessary speakers its ridiculous to have that many speakers in the front. Why would you do that its just so uncalled for. Your ruining the forum and this hobby by doing that, I also don't like the way you push your agenda that you need all those speakers in the front even if you don't have them hooked up its just the idea that you having them there and posting a picture on this thread and forum.
Whooaaa now I sound like you rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

No you dont sound like me. You are just dragging this matter with such ridiculous rebuttals. You didnt understand what my point of argument was. Didnt I say that I dont have a problem with the photo op. My reaction was mainly to the IDEA of hooking them all up at the same time. I gave the link to the post that mentioned the idea.

Again it is not ridiculous to line up 9 subs for a photo op or a guessing contest. It is the idea of hooking 9 subs together (that was brought up later and supported by some for a review). If you still don't understand my point, you can keep posting rebuttals.

I will say it again. Lining 9 subs (not hooked together) for a photo op or contest is not ridiculous. It is the idea or thought or whatever of hooking them all up and the support for a review of 9 subs hooked up at the same time, that is ridiculous. My argument about 4 subs was the extra effort required in doing the wiring/cables, which not many people can do. I have tried to make this clear many times. Sure wireless transmitter is a better option to deal with the cables.

The idea behind posting my picture was to show that I leave the wiring on the carpet and do not go to the extent of putting them under the carpet or drilling holes on the sub-floor as it would be required in the case of multiple subs. If people still dont understand my point of argument , they can keep posting rebuttals. But I am going to stop here.
post #87 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My reaction was mainly to the IDEA of hooking them all up at the same time. I gave the link to the post that mentioned the idea.

Quote:

All the ones I don't own are here to be reviewed. And I've never hooked them up at the same time, although I have been tempted to give it a try...

I would not call "tempted to try it out" as telling everyone that they need 9 subs. No reason to get all bent out of shape, he's not making up some new standard that everyone has to follow just stated that he's tempted to try it out. Never told any one to do it and never said its the best thing you can do.

Quote:

My argument about 4 subs was the extra effort required in doing the wiring/cables, which not many people can do. I have tried to make this clear many times.

So you also against surround speakers as well cause those take some effort for wiring too. Maybe we should all just stick with Bose 321 system with just a pair of cubes since theres so much effort involved. You entire arguement is based on thinking many people don't want to waste the effort to have multiple subs? Instead of arguing against 4 subs even if someone wants to have them to help smooth out the bass in the room, how about you actually help that person in recommending how to hookup those 4 subwoofers. THX specs recommend 4 subwoofers, my room and many other rooms benefit from multiple subwoofers whether its 2,3, 4, 5, 6 or how ever many the person feels like installing. If they want to buy one $35,000 Krell subwoofer or buy 8 SVS Ultras does it matter? So if the person doesn't care about the extra effort what upsets you so much about it?

Again Jim has told NO ONE that they need 9 subwoofers.
post #88 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

But I am going to stop here.

Please do. You and Auditor are just being argumentative for its own sake. Stop cr@pping on the guy's thread and move on.
gtpsuper24 and JimWilson like this.
post #89 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Please do. You and Auditor are just being argumentative for its own sake. Stop cr@pping on the guy's thread and move on.

As you can see, I don't any argument with Jim, never did. He explained that he was using the subs for test purposes.
post #90 of 117 Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 773
trainwreck2.jpg

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint