Another what sub should I get thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am updating my entire 5.1 HT speaker set. I have narrowed down to a reasonable list for the front pair, and the complimentary centre and rears. I have no idea where to start with subs though.

I am moving house twice in teh next 18 months, so can't really know how big the final room will be, but let's make believe it's about 15' x 23' x 11' high.

My budget is around $2000 per sub, and I am thinking I want to get a pair this time, so $4000 in total. Ish. I could spend more if I was convinced it was worth it, but I do think that should get me anything I could dream of.

Initially they'll be just for movies and effects, but it's really important to me that they sound great musically, because longer term I will probably integrate them into my stereo setup too. For music, I listen to a very wide and eclectic range. Tom Waits, Marsalis, Duke Ellington, Offspring, Iron Maiden, Frank Zappa, Mozart (but not that opera stuff). Just about anything goes at my place. It doesn't ever get turned up to concert levels, but there's an expectation that we'll really feel the floor falling apart when LA falls in to the ocean during an earthquake, or when some ship explodes in space off the shoulder of Orion. Needs to really hit me in teh chest hard. That why the budget is generous. Wanting to get that.

The real challenge is that the boxes themselves can't be all that large. As mentioned, there's going to be a bit of moving about. They also need to fit into the room's decor, so am willing to pay alittle extra for a finish. I could get away with one of them being doubled up as a surface on the side wall, I guess.

At the moment I am thinking of getting some custom Rythmik 15" subs made up. Not sure who does a good job of that. Also not sure if that's my best bet. I've also heard great things about Seaton Submersives, ut I think they might be huge?

What would you get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephariah View Post

The real challenge is that the boxes themselves can't be all that large.

"can't be all that large" is a somewhat nebulous statement, and doesn't really give us much to go on. What's large for you might not be for me. I can think of a few potential options, but they may not work if the size is different.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
15' x 23' x 11' high.

My budget is around $2000 per sub, and I am thinking I want to get a pair this time, so $4000 in total. Ish.
Dual SubMersive HP subwoofers will fall within the "ish" budget parameters and, by all accounts, they will not disappoint. cool.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

"can't be all that large" is a somewhat nebulous statement, and doesn't really give us much to go on. What's large for you might not be for me. I can think of a few potential options, but they may not work if the size is different.

Thanks for the response. I tried hard to cover all 6 items in the 'how to ask' post. smile.gif I guess I should have been more specific. This question is hard for me. The line isn't hard, but I am thinking a 24" x24" x24" would be comfortable. Like the budget though, I could stretch it a little for the right units.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephariah View Post

This question is hard for me. The line isn't hard, but I am thinking a 24" x24" x24" would be comfortable. Like the budget though, I could stretch it a little for the right units.

That's a pretty good size, which opens up a number of possibilities.

You're already thinking Rythmik, which is definitely one of the better sub manufacturers. The Submersives mentioned previously are another good choice. A few more worth looking into are...

• PowerSound Audio XS15 {new company started by some industry vets. I have one of these subs for review, and I can tell you it's worth a lot more then they're charging}
  • JTR Captivator S {a tremendous amount of output in a very small package, relatively speaking. A little above your budget though}
  • HSU ULS-15 {they sell a pair for about $2100. This will be similar to the Rythmik}
  • Funk Audio Custom Sub {with your budget you might want to consider full custom subs. If you opt to go that route Funk Audio would be my first choice}

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page