Narrowed down to 3.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My choices are VT F-2 MK4 for $477 B Stock. It turns out I live where HSU is located or the current on sale Outlaw EX for $599 shipped. Or the Epik Legend for $570ish. Around 4,00 cubic feet, in a corner of a family room but open to kitchen, living room, etc. My guess all 3 are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 891
4,000 cubic foot is a moderately big room.

What is your primary goal in use? How loud do you like to listen?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Television shows, normal levels, some movies on blue ray (3d), HBO, etc. I will turn up pretty loud when appropriate. Nothing crazy. Love rock music but play mostly on my Iphone. Current set up is 60 inch Sharp 3D display, Boston towers with powered sub inside, VR12 center. Low end new Yamah RX V371 receiver. Seems to run the current set up fine. I'll be honest, the base that the towers and center produce seems very strong and tight. Just have gone this far, I want I mean need a "real" sub. This is a dedicated but open family room and the downstairs is about 1,200 sq ft with 10 ft ceilings. I have been told this is a very large space but anything larger than the EX is not going to fly if you read between the lines (wife). But she did say today are you ready for your new subwoofer but she really thinks it's a waste of money. It's like a need this to move on. HSU is in Orange County and 10 minutes from my work so I can save on shipping.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 891
All of those subs are in the same general class. Of the three you mention an Epik Legend would probably fill up the room with the most SPL, while the Outlaw for the HSU equivalent would dig a bit deeper. (lower frequency response capability).

Personally I'd want more subwoofer for a room that size - but any of these should add a fair amount to your towers ability.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Go with the HSU. If you live close by you could request a time to stop in their office to pick one up to save on shipping charges. Might also have so other deals there that they might work with you on.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

All of those subs are in the same general class. Of the three you mention an Epik Legend would probably fill up the room with the most SPL, while the Outlaw for the HSU equivalent would dig a bit deeper. (lower frequency response capability).
Personally I'd want more subwoofer for a room that size - but any of these should add a fair amount to your towers ability.

Do you think this is a deminished return considering the size of my space. The Kiplisch RD12 is always on sale for $299 it seems. Putting this in the same space would be nearly just as good considering the limits of all my current choices? If someone blind folded me, and I tried all 3 or 4 in the same space, none would be a clear winner? Or would I be able to tell when the HSU or Outlaw was playing. If the difference is not night and day, is spending $177-$300 more really worth it. I know this is very subjective.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 634
The Hsu would be good because if you ever needed it serviced, you could just drive up there. If you aren't sure what would be enough, Hsu does have a demo room, but they want people to schedule a visit a day in advance so they can make time for you. I would call them to schedule a visit, so you know what kind of subs you are dealing with. Who knows, you may end end wanting something bigger, or you may feel that a less expensive sub will be enough.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The Hsu would be good because if you ever needed it serviced, you could just drive up there. If you aren't sure what would be enough, Hsu does have a demo room, but they want people to schedule a visit a day in advance so they can make time for you. I would call them to schedule a visit, so you know what kind of subs you are dealing with. Who knows, you may end end wanting something, or you may feel that a less expensive sub will be enough.[/quote

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. $477 B stock picked up in person is a good choice.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The Hsu would be good because if you ever needed it serviced, you could just drive up there. If you aren't sure what would be enough, Hsu does have a demo room, but they want people to schedule a visit a day in advance so they can make time for you. I would call them to schedule a visit, so you know what kind of subs you are dealing with. Who knows, you may end end wanting something, or you may feel that a less expensive sub will be enough.[/quote

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. $477 B stock picked up in person is a good choice.

$477 b stock is damn good choice. My friend has one and it does nicely filling out his living room with all kinds of bass suck out. I know he is gonna have envy hearing my dual sub setup. Muahahaha.

butter and jelly please.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page