New sub time, little help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-03-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a fairly large-ish room (~2k cubic feet). I mostly use it for movies and I'm looking for a large amount clean low frequency output. From what I've been reading, the Epic Empire seem to fit this quite well (on paper at least) but I would like a smaller sub if at all possible. The epik empire is 24 x 22 x 18; I would love to find one no more than 18" tall (to fit under my screen) but width and depth are flexible and could be even larger than the empire. Also, it would be nice to come in a little less expensive as well. Thoughts?

My main speakers are Linn Ninka's fwiw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
The brand new SVS SB13 ULTRA should do what you want and its a 17.4" cube. And duals would be awesome..... http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb13-ultra

Shawn
post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

The brand new SVS SB13 ULTRA should do what you want and its a 17.4" cube. And duals would be awesome..... http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb13-ultra

Please notice the OP said "Also, it would be nice to come in a little less expensive as well." The SVS SB13 is a lovely sub for sure, but less expensive it certainly is not. I'd suggest an SVS PB12-NSD. Turned on it's side, it's 17.3 inches high. It has more output than the Empire at 20hz.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I missed the less expensive part... How about the SVS SB12 NSD for $650 or Dual Energy S10.3s for $230 each?

Shawn
post #5 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I missed the less expensive part... How about the SVS SB12 NSD for $650 or Dual Energy S10.3s for $230 each?

The problem with those choices is that neither is really capable of high output in the deep bass region. Neither of those choices will come close to the Empire in output.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
18" height limits you a bit.

The Klipsch rw-12d at 300 on sale is nice, but its a bit over 19" tall. Some like the Jamo sub 650 for around the 300 price range and it is under 18". I think there are a few threads comparing both of these subs.

I've owned and still own dual rw-12ds, and they did a decent job in my 3300+ ft^3 room.

resolution good....
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiyum View Post

I've got a fairly large-ish room (~2k cubic feet). I mostly use it for movies and I'm looking for a large amount clean low frequency output. From what I've been reading, the Epic Empire seem to fit this quite well (on paper at least) but I would like a smaller sub if at all possible.

A suggestion would be to look at a pair of Epic, Legend subwoofers as they meed your 18" height requirement and by using dual 12" woofers, you get the synergistic punch of a 15" sub. Purchased as a pair and you have smooth, 15" bass on the cheap; $900.00/Pr.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

The problem with those choices is that neither is really capable of high output in the deep bass region. Neither of those choices will come close to the Empire in output.

Based on this and reading reviews of suggested subs, I'm thinking of relaxing my criteria on price and size... Any thoughts comparing Epik Empire with SVS SB13-Ultra? I'll search around a bit and see what I find..
post #9 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiyum View Post

Based on this and reading reviews of suggested subs, I'm thinking of relaxing my criteria on price and size... Any thoughts comparing Epik Empire with SVS SB13-Ultra? I'll search around a bit and see what I find..

Search for the model called SB13 Plus which was recently discontinued. It seems as though, but without absolute certainty, that the Ultra is essentially the same sub as the Plus, but with a different finish. I tend to doubt it's output will match the Empire, but it's likely to be a higher quality sub.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Search for the model called SB13 Plus which was recently discontinued. It seems as though, but without absolute certainty, that the Ultra is essentially the same sub as the Plus, but with a different finish. I tend to doubt it's output will match the Empire, but it's likely to be a higher quality sub.

Damned with my size constraint, to the corner again I guess. I ordered an empire earlier today. Excited with anticipation!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page