SVS PB13 Ultra - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I purchased one of the SVS SB13 Plus's a few months back, and just got the notification from SVS about the Ultra. Seems it still has the 13.5'' driver and the 1,000 watt sledge amplifier.

Does anyone know what the difference is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I am pretty sure you meant you purchased a SB12-Plus?? but I think SVS is releasing a new SB13-Ultra which is brand new to the Sealed Box's design (SB). If you want to do the trade up program and still have time to do so I would highly recommend doing it to get the better sub if you can money permitting! smile.gif
post #3 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTactics View Post

So I purchased one of the SVS SB13 Plus's a few months back, and just got the notification from SVS about the Ultra. Seems it still has the 13.5'' driver and the 1,000 watt sledge amplifier.
Does anyone know what the difference is?

See here .... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/905031-post2.html

Bullet points.

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
PARTIALLY damaged bash amp?

Anyone know if it's possible to hear audio from a partially damaged sub amp? After a recent power outage, the audio level output from my PB 13 Ultra hasn't been anywhere near what it was before. I initially thought the problem was from the sub pre out on my Denon 5308CI but after getting that unit checked from an authorized Denon service center I have to assume there is a problem with my sub. I was initially told by SVS that if the amp was damaged there would be no output at all from the sub. Of course it's difficult to diagnose this problem over the phone but, assuming my Denon is OK, I'm now being told there is a chance the amp in the Ultra is most likely partially damaged. All I know is I cannot run Audyssey XT32 using the PB 13 now because the output form the sub is so low that Audyssey doesn't even detect it even with the gain control maxed out. Needless to say I didn't have this problem before the power outage.

I have ordered the Sledge upgrade and should receive it this week. At this point I'm out of options. Could a partially damaged amp still work??
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It is odd to hear a partially damaged amp with its output somewhat muted. Did you try to connect to its XLR input? You may need a RCA to male XLR cable for this test.

Bass, please. Shaken, not stirred.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post

Anyone know if it's possible to hear audio from a partially damaged sub amp? After a recent power outage, the audio level output from my PB 13 Ultra hasn't been anywhere near what it was before. I initially thought the problem was from the sub pre out on my Denon 5308CI but after getting that unit checked from an authorized Denon service center I have to assume there is a problem with my sub. I was initially told by SVS that if the amp was damaged there would be no output at all from the sub. Of course it's difficult to diagnose this problem over the phone but, assuming my Denon is OK, I'm now being told there is a chance the amp in the Ultra is most likely partially damaged. All I know is I cannot run Audyssey XT32 using the PB 13 now because the output form the sub is so low that Audyssey doesn't even detect it even with the gain control maxed out. Needless to say I didn't have this problem before the power outage.
I have ordered the Sledge upgrade and should receive it this week. At this point I'm out of options. Could a partially damaged amp still work??

I am curious on what your previous levels on the PB13 Ultra were prior to the amp failure?? I am having some issues with my Ultra's output as well! My older subs do not have any issue at all and its not the sub pre out on my AVR since I tested it.
What was your gain/volume set at on your PB13 and also on your AVR Sub level prior to the amp damage?????? Right now my PB13-Ultra is set at max gain/volume of 0db and my AVR is set to around +2db and I do get decent output but not what I expected after reading all about the Ultra!
post #7 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxht View Post

It is odd to hear a partially damaged amp with its output somewhat muted. Did you try to connect to its XLR input? You may need a RCA to male XLR cable for this test.

I'd second that, check to see if a different input makes a difference. I've never had a partially bad amp in any audio gear, mine have either been just fine (the majority), or completely gone, but I can see how an input could be an issue.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

I am pretty sure you meant you purchased a SB12-Plus?? but I think SVS is releasing a new SB13-Ultra which is brand new to the Sealed Box's design (SB). If you want to do the trade up program and still have time to do so I would highly recommend doing it to get the better sub if you can money permitting! smile.gif

Nope. SB13 Plus. Looks identical to this new one, but was discontinued a few months back.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:

I am curious on what your previous levels on the PB13 Ultra were prior to the amp failure?? I am having some issues with my Ultra's output as well! My older subs do not have any issue at all and its not the sub pre out on my AVR since I tested it.
What was your gain/volume set at on your PB13 and also on your AVR Sub level prior to the amp damage?????? Right now my PB13-Ultra is set at max gain/volume of 0db and my AVR is set to around +2db and I do get decent output but not what I expected after reading all about the Ultra!

I have been looking into reviews and listening to highend demo subs and I have decided to buy the SVS PB13 Ultra! I have a large room (4000cu ft.) to fill and my old ported polk 8" just don't cut it now... So I really hope it lives up to the hype of the reviews,
post #10 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I would go with dual Epik empires. They are $500 less, can extend to 10hz, have a combined output of 1200 watts rms, and weigh a total of 280lbs, and each sub has dual 15" drivers. These would absolutely KILL the SVS is every area, and your room response would be much smoother across all frequencies.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #11 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

I would go with dual Epik empires. They are $500 less, can extend to 10hz, have a combined output of 1200 watts rms, and weigh a total of 280lbs, and each sub has dual 15" drivers. These would absolutely KILL the SVS is every area, and your room response would be much smoother across all frequencies.

In what sense?

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems&col=3&type=0&sort=desc&mfr=-1

Unless you mean above 63hz. Below that in the 20-30hz range (and 15hz if you choose 15hz tune), the SVS "kills" the Epik in every area. In terms of linearity, it "kills" the Epik in every area (check out the Frequency response graphs). In terms of tweakability and options, the SVS "kills" the Epik in every area (3 different tunes, amp twekability), etc.

The duals would of course allow for smoother in-room response. If you stacked them, I guess you'd approach the headroom at 15-31.5 Hz you'd get from the SVS in 15Hz ported tune, but still need a 3rd Epik to "Beat" it from 16hz to 25hz. But of course, if you stack them to get the extra 6db, then you'd lose out on the smoothing of the FR.

Not that the Epik isn't a wonderful sub. But let's not throw around "kill the PB13-Ultra in every area" lightly. wink.gif

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

In what sense?
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems&col=3&type=0&sort=desc&mfr=-1
Unless you mean above 63hz. Below that in the 20-30hz range (and 15hz if you choose 15hz tune), the SVS "kills" the Epik in every area. In terms of linearity, it "kills" the Epik in every area (check out the Frequency response graphs). In terms of tweakability and options, the SVS "kills" the Epik in every area (3 different tunes, amp twekability), etc.
The duals would of course allow for smoother in-room response. If you stacked them, I guess you'd approach the headroom at 15-31.5 Hz you'd get from the SVS in 15Hz ported tune, but still need a 3rd Epik to "Beat" it from 16hz to 25hz. But of course, if you stack them to get the extra 6db, then you'd lose out on the smoothing of the FR.
Not that the Epik isn't a wonderful sub. But let's not throw around "kill the PB13-Ultra in every area" lightly. wink.gif

+1

Totally agree, I've had this discussion in the forums of my country (Spain), and the user still did not stay very convinced of what he argued.

A hug.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I'd second that, check to see if a different input makes a difference. I've never had a partially bad amp in any audio gear, mine have either been just fine (the majority), or completely gone, but I can see how an input could be an issue.

Sorry for the late response. I do not have XLR connections on any other components so there was no way test that connection.confused.gif

After installing the Sledge amp and rerunning Audyssey, the sub now is back to the same performance and audio level before the power outage. It's really hard to tell a major difference at this point between the Bash & Sledge because I have a lot of crap in the way and my current HT room is not ideal for acoustics. I'm not really concerened about this until after I finish building my new house.

At any rate it appears that there was indeed PARTIAL amp damage to the Bash amp. No other way to explain turning the gain control all the way up (where it was previously about half way) with the Bash and still not being recognized by Audyssey, is there?
post #14 of 16 Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 AM

Hello

In my case, the power of my PC13-Ultra DSP is located at -20 gain, to achieve the 75 dBs of Audyssey MultEQ XT executed.

I must say it is in a small room (10 square meters).

I'm surprised to see how some users say they have ultra gain the maximum = 0 or -05 approximate.

According to that gain, in my room directly Audyssey would say there is too much volume on the subwoofer and force me to lose volume. The most you left me to calibrate it with Ganania to -08 in the ultra.

Anyway, it's just a curiosity, because in my room is perfectly integrated and am very happy. smile.gif

post #15 of 16 Old 09-15-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

Hello
In my case, the power of my PC13-Ultra DSP is located at -20 gain, to achieve the 75 dBs of Audyssey MultEQ XT executed.
I must say it is in a small room (10 square meters).
I'm surprised to see how some users say they have ultra gain the maximum = 0 or -05 approximate.
According to that gain, in my room directly Audyssey would say there is too much volume on the subwoofer and force me to lose volume. The most you left me to calibrate it with Ganania to -08 in the ultra.
Anyway, it's just a curiosity, because in my room is perfectly integrated and am very happy. smile.gif

yup, even svs recommends starting at -20 which is the 75dbs level (varibles not included) mine was -18gain.

however, the other option they state is to set gain at 0 on the sub maximum min on avr(-15-12 level) rerun audussey until it starts to move up the ladder. this way you have maximum amount of output from the amp.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #16 of 16 Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

yup, even svs recommends starting at -20 which is the 75dbs level (varibles not included) mine was -18gain.
however, the other option they state is to set gain at 0 on the sub maximum min on avr(-15-12 level) rerun audussey until it starts to move up the ladder. this way you have maximum amount of output from the amp.

Hello

In my case this great, -20 are 75 dBs of gain and indicates my Onkyo TX-NR809. If I put it to the fullest, would stay very high volume and can even use all his power dynamics, Audyssey in its sweep, would indicate that the subwoofer is very high gain and would have to adjust the volume in a few less dBs = gain.

Another problem is that if you leave the highest Subwoofer in a calibration, can affect the response time of the automatic power subwoofer, making it take longer to ignite.

Anyway, calibrated to 75 dBs as the reference indicates, this perfect and I notice the "Slam" and proper earthquake effect (present but without overwhelming the entire soundstage). lol

A hug.

PS: Sorry if at some point my words are not precise, I am Spanish and the translation is not exact.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page