Stupid Question About Drivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems like I'm only on here to show how little I know... Fortunately, I respect AVSForum as the definitive educational resource for audio noobs.

On to the question! As I've been doing research on different subs, I keep reading that I need to consider driver and woofer placement as two separate things. Would someone guide me to a picture or an educational resource that shows me the anatomy of a subwoofer and teaches me the difference between a driver and a woofer? Or, if it's easier to just explain it here, would you post some pictures showing me the difference?

Again, I feel dumb for coming in here once in a while and starting new threads to demonstrate how stupid I am, but I respect the voices in this forum and only feel comfortable getting answers from the people who know how to explain this stuff better than any other site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
A woofer is a driver that handles low(er) frequencies. A tweeter is a driver that handles high(er) frequencies. And a mid-range is a driver that handles, well, mid-range frequencies. smile.gif

A subwoofer typically consists of a single low-frequency driver (or sometimes two drivers) in a sealed or ported/vented enclosure.
BenTheWicked likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate it. I had a feeling that woofer and driver were interchangeable, but some of the educational resources I was reading made it sound like they were two different things.

This is why I keep coming back here!
post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

And a mid-range is a driver that handles, well, mid-range frequencies. smile.gif
LOL funny... I laughed my ass off. biggrin.gif

But that is totally correct.

OP, when you get speaker system make sure it has mid range drivers as some systems don't have them. Without them it will sound a bit.... missing. Mid range is very very important ingredient for great music listening experience.

Try experiment with the equalizer on the audio system or via computer audio. This will give you good idea of the range of frequencies too.

And don't forget to buy nice audio cables. I spent about $1500 just for two cables.... Now I am going after the high-end power cable.....
post #5 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
... when you get speaker system make sure it has mid range drivers as some systems don't have them. Without them it will sound a bit.... missing.
IMO, that depends on the design of the speaker. My vintage Paradigm 5se MkII speakers - which I use regularly in my home office - have only a tweeter and a woofer each, and there's nothing missing from their sound. cool.gif I'd choose them over an average pair of three-way (tweeter, mid-range, woofer) speakers any day.

As for "high-end" cables, I don't think it's necessary to spend a lot of money on them, but YMMV. smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page