Check out PBC's excellent review of the new SVS SB 13 Ultra! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Party's at PBC's house. Congratulations.

.......................biggrin.gif
BeeMan458 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
the right outcome came out of this, it was a bit worrisome at first.
Billy p likes this.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #63 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Excellent! Congrats PBC.smile.gif
mojomike is offline  
post #64 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member
 
pbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,422
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks guys... Hmmm .... 1800ish cubic foot family room ... 4 subs ... someone ain't going to be pleased. wink.gif

 

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

 

pbc is online now  
post #65 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Thanks guys... Hmmm .... 1800ish cubic foot family room ... 4 subs ... someone ain't going to be pleased. wink.gif

Now the rear corner opposite the PB13U can finally have a sub. I'm sure that empty spot has been driving her crazy. tongue.gif

Congrat's pbc, it was well earned.

~Nick

 

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Snowmanick is offline  
post #66 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Thanks guys... Hmmm .... 1800ish cubic foot family room ... 4 subs ... someone ain't going to be pleased. wink.gif

The neighbors are just going have to go out and get their own subs cause the wife can't fault your success. biggrin.gif
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #67 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markham,Ont
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Now the rear corner opposite the PB13U can finally have a sub. I'm sure that empty spot has been driving her crazy. tongue.gif
Congrat's pbc, it was well earned.

Nope because its open to the kitchen only place I figure will be on top of the current pb13u or Steve will have a lot of esplaining to do...wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Nice problem to have nonetheless...lol smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Billy p is offline  
post #68 of 77 Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Nope because its open to the kitchen only place I figure will be on top of the current pb13u or Steve will have a lot of esplaining to do...wink.gifbiggrin.gif
Nice problem to have nonetheless...lol smile.gif

Well, "you gotta do what you gotta do," as the saying goes. As you say, its a nice problem to have.

~Nick

 

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Snowmanick is offline  
post #69 of 77 Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Very nice review!

For anyone who may currently have tried this I'd like your opinion one one aspect of the SB13-Ultra please. While I definitely appreciate deep base, I want something very accurate/tight. I'm looking for a nice small footprint sub that has very little distortion. Would this fit that category or is there another sub you might recommend more?

Thanks
boe is online now  
post #70 of 77 Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Very nice review!
For anyone who may currently have tried this I'd like your opinion one one aspect of the SB13-Ultra please. While I definitely appreciate deep base, I want something very accurate/tight. I'm looking for a nice small footprint sub that has very little distortion. Would this fit that category or is there another sub you might recommend more?
Thanks

Small footprint is such a subjective term. For our needs, I find the footprint of the SB13-Ultra to be prohibitively large. tongue.gif

Either which way, if the Ultra fits your size requirements, my research shows it to be a very capable sub that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase. Due to our need for subwoofers with smaller footprints, subs I'm looking at are the smaller ported SVS, PB12-NSD (two or three each), a pair of SVS, PC12-Plus or a pair of the Hsu, ULS-15's.
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #71 of 77 Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Small footprint is such a subjective term. For our needs, I find the footprint of the SB13-Ultra to be prohibitively large. tongue.gif
Either which way, if the Ultra fits your size requirements, my research shows it to be a very capable sub that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase. Due to our need for subwoofers with smaller footprints, subs I'm looking at are the smaller ported SVS, PB12-NSD (two or three each), a pair of SVS, PC12-Plus or a pair of the Hsu, ULS-15's.

I thought the SB13-Ultra was 17.5x17.5x17.5" and the HSU was 18x18x18
boe is online now  
post #72 of 77 Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I thought the SB13-Ultra was 17.5x17.5x17.5" and the HSU was 18x18x18

Sorry, you're right. As I posted small body (SB), I was thinking the larger, PB13-Ultra, which is a much larger ported body subwoofer.

For our personal needs, the problem with the small body SB13-Ultra was the price as two Ultras breaks the budget of $3k that was raised from $1.5k. Second, for the price, I'm not impressed with the performance characteristics of the PB12-Plus. For peace in the family, I locked the budget at $3k. A subwoofer budget has to be locked down or you'll find your budget creeping on you. As an example, if you can afford $1,500.00, why not bump it to $1,800.00 and if you have bumped it to $3k, why not two hundred more? Oh heck, why don't I simply buy four Paradigm, Sub 2's at $36k and be done with it? eek.giftongue.gif

On the other hand, for our needs, the HSU, ULS-15 meets our size requirements but I'm not sold on it's sonic capabilities over that of the lesser SVS, PB12-NSD. But these are personal niggles that I need to square with as I haven't seen any charts on the ULS-15 to make direct comparisons with.

For many reasons, I'm not a fan of down firing subs but due to price/performance characteristics, balanced against size/price constraints vs personal prejudices, I am giving consideration towards a pair of SVS, PC13-Plus'. Again, first I must square with my many issues, among which are my issues with down firing subs; lack of directionality in the >80 Hz frequency band.

Hopefully, by sharing our budget/feature set/size constraints with you, you'll have a better idea about what's in a reasonable budget and why I post what I post.

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #73 of 77 Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So has anyone gotten the SB13-Ultra yet?
boe is online now  
post #74 of 77 Old 10-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Member
 
dozer95667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

So has anyone gotten the SB13-Ultra yet?

I have one. I have not been on this board a very long time but I had an original ACI Titan for years that started humming on me. So I went from a tiny little supercube from Best Buy, to a SB12NSD (much better), to a SB13-Ultra (much more better).

I couldn't be happier with it. Big nicely finished 100 lb box (I got black oak, it matches my psb tower speakers). It plays very low and loud. Example, the Matrix helicopter crash scene... it was flickering the limiter on my SB12NSD even though it sounded good and I did not NEED to upgrade strictly speaking.

But on the SB13 Ultra, there is a lot more residual rumbling after Trinity smashes her body into the glass wall... a lot more rumbling in my chair. The music is even more perfect although I thought the SB12NSD was very good in this regard.... the SB13 Ultra is even more impossible to locate.

I may have been able to live happily ever after with the SB12 but the money wasn't a huge stretch and I figured, what the hell... get yourself the best sub you can afford within reason and that the wife will accept. I'm glad I did.

With the liberal return policy (45 days) I don't see any reason for you not to try it. Only about $50 to return it if you don't like it. To me, it is totally dope... last subwoofer I'll ever buy I'm pretty sure. I'm sure the ported boxes or cylinders can do a better job popping the nails out of the studs in your walls.... but the SB-13 ultra is no slouch in that regard and really sounds very very clean and controlled... very high end. I like the fact that it weighs almost 100lbs too.
dozer95667 is offline  
post #75 of 77 Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer95667 View Post

I have one. I have not been on this board a very long time but I had an original ACI Titan for years that started humming on me. So I went from a tiny little supercube from Best Buy, to a SB12NSD (much better), to a SB13-Ultra (much more better).
I couldn't be happier with it. Big nicely finished 100 lb box (I got black oak, it matches my psb tower speakers). It plays very low and loud. Example, the Matrix helicopter crash scene... it was flickering the limiter on my SB12NSD even though it sounded good and I did not NEED to upgrade strictly speaking.
But on the SB13 Ultra, there is a lot more residual rumbling after Trinity smashes her body into the glass wall... a lot more rumbling in my chair. The music is even more perfect although I thought the SB12NSD was very good in this regard.... the SB13 Ultra is even more impossible to locate.
I may have been able to live happily ever after with the SB12 but the money wasn't a huge stretch and I figured, what the hell... get yourself the best sub you can afford within reason and that the wife will accept. I'm glad I did.
With the liberal return policy (45 days) I don't see any reason for you not to try it. Only about $50 to return it if you don't like it. To me, it is totally dope... last subwoofer I'll ever buy I'm pretty sure. I'm sure the ported boxes or cylinders can do a better job popping the nails out of the studs in your walls.... but the SB-13 ultra is no slouch in that regard and really sounds very very clean and controlled... very high end. I like the fact that it weighs almost 100lbs too.

Is it musical/ I'm hoping this bad boy or the new JL "E" 112 can accept the torch from my M&K MX150 (which is no small feat for musicality ) I have no worries for movies thats the easy part but pitch definition and beautiful articulation with no bloat or boominess is what the M&K so very well excelled at in spades. 45 day trail is a good way to find out and I hope the JL is out by years end. This is were the fun's at!
audiofan1 is online now  
post #76 of 77 Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer95667 View Post

I have one. I have not been on this board a very long time but I had an original ACI Titan for years that started humming on me. So I went from a tiny little supercube from Best Buy, to a SB12NSD (much better), to a SB13-Ultra (much more better).
I couldn't be happier with it. Big nicely finished 100 lb box (I got black oak, it matches my psb tower speakers). It plays very low and loud. Example, the Matrix helicopter crash scene... it was flickering the limiter on my SB12NSD even though it sounded good and I did not NEED to upgrade strictly speaking.
But on the SB13 Ultra, there is a lot more residual rumbling after Trinity smashes her body into the glass wall... a lot more rumbling in my chair. The music is even more perfect although I thought the SB12NSD was very good in this regard.... the SB13 Ultra is even more impossible to locate.
I may have been able to live happily ever after with the SB12 but the money wasn't a huge stretch and I figured, what the hell... get yourself the best sub you can afford within reason and that the wife will accept. I'm glad I did.
With the liberal return policy (45 days) I don't see any reason for you not to try it. Only about $50 to return it if you don't like it. To me, it is totally dope... last subwoofer I'll ever buy I'm pretty sure. I'm sure the ported boxes or cylinders can do a better job popping the nails out of the studs in your walls.... but the SB-13 ultra is no slouch in that regard and really sounds very very clean and controlled... very high end. I like the fact that it weighs almost 100lbs too.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'd probably order one online tonight if it weren't for the fact they don't offer a cloth grill. I know many would probably say that is a crazy reason for hesitation but for me it really is important. I keep tossing different models around but I can't seem to pull the trigger. I'm going to check out the JL F113 this weekend. I can get a brand new one for less than twice the price of the SVS but that is still a lot more money. I don't have the space for more than one, otherwise I'd just get two subs.
boe is online now  
post #77 of 77 Old 11-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Member
 
dozer95667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
good news bad news.

good news... they are $100 off.
bad news... they are sold out till Thanksgiving.
dozer95667 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off