What to do with a dead sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an old Infinity TSS 1200 sub that died a few months ago (second time it died, Warranty the first time). I just got around to opening it up to see if I could figure out what went wrong. The obvious problem is it looks like someone took a blow torch to the back of the board. I know the electronics are toast but what can I do with the box and speakers? I don't want to just throw away a good speaker and box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Shadow View Post

I have an old Infinity TSS 1200 sub that died a few months ago (second time it died, Warranty the first time). I just got around to opening it up to see if I could figure out what went wrong. The obvious problem is it looks like someone took a blow torch to the back of the board. I know the electronics are toast but what can I do with the box and speakers? I don't want to just throw away a good speaker and box.

Have you thought about looking in the diy thread and getting a replacement amp with a good track record?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Or an external amp, that's what I did with my Sunfire. I don't use it in my HT anymore, but it's a good sub for a secondary system.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice Oztech and TornadoTJ. I am not versed in the DIY/Tech side of AV equipment, I generally just buy what gets good reviews. I started looking through the DIY forum and am lost. Can you point me in the right direction and or give me a ball park how much it might cost to get a replacement amp so I can see if I can even budget it. Thanks again
post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 490
You ought to know the specs of the driver before you buy an amp for it. You will also need a way of dealing with sealing the cabinet when you are running an external amp to it. Any amp you could buy is probably worth more than the sub itself, I would just get a new subwoofer, it won't be hard to top that Infinity. If it were me I would take the magnets out of the old driver and play with them, I always have fun with magnets.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can get replacement plate amps from Parts Express and OAudio but you will likely need to do some cutting, reshaping to get them to fit.

In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200; in the under $400 range, the Hsu STF-2.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Shadow View Post

You need to first complete the survey of the damage. Most speaker systems are disassembled by first removing the speaker driver which you have apparently already done. Then clip the wires from the circuit card to the speaker at the circuit card end. Then check the woofer driver out by hooking it up in place of one of your main speakers. It should make a somewhat muffled and bass-shy sound if it is OK. You should also check the voice coil for rubbing.

This is a fair article with more details:

http://www.fixitclub.com/Electronics/Speaker_printer.shtml

The business of gently but firmly pressing on the cone evenly and listening for rubbing is very important. A speaker will make sound but will still be defective if its voice coil is rubbing.

One of the economic stories that surprises many is the fact that the enclosure is a major part of the cost of most subwoofers. I was just looking at a pro-grade subwoofer that sells for $1500 or so. The manufacturer both specifies and sells the only electronic part which is the speaker driver, for about $500. In this case the course of action seems like a no-brainer.

Not every subwoofer situation makes things this obvious, but matching a new driver to the existing enclosure is very doable.

If the driver is OK, then replacing the amplifier is a possibility. it is also reasonable to replace the amplifier with a sheet of wood that tightly and non-resonantly covers the hole, and has just a set of speaker terminals on it. You can find a lot of the sort of parts you need including the amplifers at web sites such as Parts Express.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page