Why Power Cords are Important - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not only are the audio interconnects super important but also the power cables are super duper important. I came across a web source that I think you guys and girls will find fruitful. It has a lot of interesting information. Be sure to read the WHOLE page on the first link.

High-end power cord:

http://www.lessloss.com/dfpc-signature-p-199.html

Scroll half way down and start reading on "Length Vs Sound" and down. It also covers power cord burn-in:

http://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=86

As much as I would like to buy me a $1200 power cord (I have $1400 cables) I think I'll go bankrupt. I will have to settle for a little bit cheaper one that costs several hundred dollars.... Only if I don't own a house and a nice expensive car I can easily afford these top notch stuff. frown.gif

Here is another good info about cable management:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/buying-guides/do-expensive-home-audiovideo-cables-matter/

Read towards the bottom where it mentions about cabling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks for the useless links!

post #3 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
post #4 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Dude if you want a $211,000 AMG Mercedes that's great. They account for about 1% of Mercedes business. If you search wires, cables, interconnects, you will find that a huge number of members here get their cables from Monoprice, and those who want a little better will go with Blue Jeans Cables.

But by all means if you have the money for thousands of dollars in cables, go for it.

You should also read about the speaker wire challenge by The Amazing Randy. He put up $10,000 if anyone could prove that one can hear the difference in speaker wires and no one was willing to accept the challenge.

Do a search of Monoprice and you will have enough reading for the entire weekend. smile.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

but it's fun sometimes.... smile.gif

the first line of his equipment list says it all.... 200 dollars of pc speakers connected with a 1200 dollar cable... rolleyes.gif if anyone reads that and takes him seriously, it's on them...

iirc, he's started at least one thread like this before... that one did not end well... wink.gif

however... power cords ARE important... as without one, stuff doesn't work very well... tongue.gif even though i only performed sighted testing, i have a pretty high confidence in that...

edit: spy, the mercedes analogy doesn't work...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
but it's fun sometimes.... smile.gif
the first line of his equipment list says it all.... 200 dollars of pc speakers connected with a 1200 dollar cable... rolleyes.gif if anyone reads that and takes him seriously, it's on them...
iirc, he's started at least one thread like this before... that one did not end well... wink.gif
however... power cords ARE important... as without one, stuff doesn't work very well... tongue.gif even though i only performed sighted testing, i have a pretty high confidence in that...
edit: spy, the mercedes analogy doesn't work...

Oh great one, show me the error of my ways. tongue.gif
post #7 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

the amg has defined meaurable differences that result in a "real difference" when "tested" by a properly skilled driver... wink.gif stopwatch don't lie... there are commonly accepted protocols for testing vehicle performance parameters, and it's hard to "voodoo them up"...

by using the amg analogy, you are actually arguing against your point, and all but admitting that golden ears exist...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #8 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

And can you imagine how many D-cell batteries it would take to run your SubM's? Wow, who knew these things were so useful?

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #9 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Liked: 147
I power my sub with a solar panel, the cord is only a backup. I am sure the solar panel on top of my sub is enough power because it reflects almost all the light from the projector back into my eyes during the movie...
post #10 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol! biggrin.gif mark would have to sell an "auxiliary power box" the size of the subm itself for all the batteries... tongue.gif

- chris

post #11 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
These are not useless links. They are helpful links. Very informative. They do better job conveying information than I can. And there are other web source that do even better...

And this thread is about power cords.... not audio cables. If I want audio cables, I go to AudioQuest, Nordost, Wireworld, Ridge Street Audio, Kimber, Synergistic Research, etc...

You guys are so negative... I'm giving you valuable information and instead of thanking me you troll me nice.

I really don't have money left to buy a nice power cords.... this is sad. Lend me some money. frown.gif
post #12 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
What do you do about that non Hi-Fi grade Romex thats attached to your power receptacle that leads back to your circuit breakers that lead back to the pole on non Hi-Fi grade wires.
This is why power cords are snake oil and most if not all equipment sold will have the proper gauge to length cord.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 PM

I wonder if this cable would sound that good if it was priced without the zeros at the end..

George.
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page