OK, I need help making a decision, compact subwoofer for 3000^3 room. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

My primary concern is either bending/destroying the sub grate under the weight of the sub,.....

Compared to the price of a pair of subs, considering the replacement of floor vents can be done both cheaply and easily, don't let your worries of crushing a couple of floor gratings stop your bliss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Compared to the price of a pair of subs, considering grates, on the cheap, are easily lifted out and replaced. Don't let crushing a couple of gratings stop your bliss.

I'm not worried about physically destroying the grate, I'm concerned that if the grate is deformed and the sub is not sitting level it won't be performing properly.
post #33 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

I'm not worried about physically destroying the grate, I'm concerned that if the grate is deformed and the sub is not sitting level it won't be performing properly.

Nothing that an easily fabricated adapter plate won't fix. An adapter plate can be easily fabricated out of some plexiglass, cut to fit leg stand measurements.

Drill and cut the plexiglass to serve your purposes and you'll be good. If worried about rattles and such, add rubber grommets under the place and/or between the feet of the subwoofer and the plexiglass. You can do it. smile.gif
post #34 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

I would definitely verify with Chad with the picture you've posted and the dimensions available for placement that the Empire will have enough clearance on its sides to get the job done. That it would "just fit" with the grills removed doesn't inspire me with confidence.

fair enough.

A thought has occurred to me. There is quite a bit of space on the TV console (below the TV which is suspended on a large Chief mount)... would it be ill advised to place a sub on top of this piece of furniture directly behind the TV? Would it end up damaging or destroying the electronics (especially the $4000 TV) or would it underperform if it was placed this way?
post #35 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think firing a 15" woofer right into the rear of a $4000 TV would be my first choice of things to do. I can't imagine the vibrations would be good for it.

Well, the woofers would actually be firing to the sides, so not directly AT the TV, but yes, I get the drift and it's not my 1st placement choice. I have a call in to find out what is recommended for minimum side clearance from the drivers. Worst case I could probably pull the sub out about 1" from the side of the sofa.
post #36 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Well, the woofers would actually be firing to the sides, so not directly AT the TV, but yes, I get the drift and it's not my 1st placement choice. I have a call in to find out what is recommended for minimum side clearance from the drivers. Worst case I could probably pull the sub out about 1" from the side of the sofa.

Think tsunami wave and the wrap around effect. Same thing with sound waves.
post #37 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd toss out this as another option:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/D15SE.html
Wouldn't have to worry as much about clearance with the downfiring setup.
And you also mentioned a F15 would be on the ragged edge of what would fit. What about the E15 (compact version).

There are a lot of compact options out there, the downfiring sub is definitely a good idea although I have a feeling my wife would nix the piano finish in a heart beat. The main reason I'm going to go as big as I can physically fit is that my room is over 3000 cubic feet and another 3000 cubic feet minimum of adjoining areas... this is going to be an incredibly tough area to get good performance in at reasonable listening levels, so I'm trying to get the most bang for what will fit into my space.

I actually was ready to pull the trigger on the SVS SB13-ultra because size wise it is absolutely ideal, but I'm not sure if it can fill my room (pretty doubtful actually). At $1500 it is right at the edge of my budget.
post #38 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Talked to Chad, he says that 1-2" from furniture, etc, is plenty, he says he actually has his Empires 1" from the wall so that the wall helps to load the subwoofer. Unless I have not done my homework it seems to me that this is probably going to be my absolute best option for the space I have. In the "two brothers" subwoofer comparison it is pretty apparent that out of all of the "$1000 heavy hitter" subs they demoed the Empire Epik was the absolute smallest size wise.
post #39 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4772
Quote:

Quote:

Talked to Chad, he says that 1-2" from furniture, etc, is plenty, he says he actually has his Empires 1" from the wall so that the wall helps to load the subwoofer. Unless I have not done my homework it seems to me that this is probably going to be my absolute best option for the space I have.

Given the constraints your situation presents, it would seem that way. FWIW, I'd still try to keep the grills on if possible. Good way to make sure there aren't any accidents, ie a woofer slapping up against your wall or furniture.

The Empire/Legend combo should be awesome, love my Empire. However, the Empire grill does not offer much protection, just hides the woofer pretty much, but don't think you have any worries about the woofer slapping the wall or furniture either...don't think my woofer ever made contact with my grill but don't sit in front of it trying to see if I can make it do that smile.gif
post #40 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The Empire/Legend combo should be awesome, love my Empire. However, the Empire grill does not offer much protection, just hides the woofer pretty much, but don't think you have any worries about the woofer slapping the wall or furniture either...don't think my woofer ever made contact with my grill but don't sit in front of it trying to see if I can make it do that smile.gif

Yeah, there's not enough excursion of the driver for that to even be a concern. We have a dog that's well behaved and no kids currently, my wife will probably make me put the grill on the side facing out towards the room for aesthetic reasons. I'm going to go ahead and place my order and see if I get shot after it arrives. Chad says he's only ever had two Empires returned and in both cases it was due to WAF of the size of the unit.
post #41 of 57 Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OK, Epik Empire ordered. I will see how it goes with 1 Epik and if I'm insane enough to augment it with a Legend or somehow shoehorn a 2nd Empire in someplace. Thanks for the help, what a painful process. I will update with impressions in a week or so when the new sub arrives.
post #42 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:

OK, Epik Empire ordered. I will see how it goes with 1 Epik and if I'm insane enough to augment it with a Legend or somehow shoehorn a 2nd Empire in someplace. Thanks for the help, what a painful process. I will update with impressions in a week or so when the new sub arrives.

Good luck! FYI I use mine as a tv stand...it's cabinet is very much inert when it comes to vibrations due to the opposed design. I don't worry about the surrounding electronics or soundwaves, hasn't killed 'em yet!
post #43 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good luck! FYI I use mine as a tv stand...it's cabinet is very much inert when it comes to vibrations due to the opposed design. I don't worry about the surrounding electronics or soundwaves, hasn't killed 'em yet!

Thanks, that is good to know, I will explore that option if my wife threatens to shoot me when she sees how big it is, or if I have to get ultra creative because I want/need a second one.
post #44 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that is good to know, I will explore that option if my wife threatens to shoot me when she sees how big it is, or if I have to get ultra creative because I want/need a second one.

At least with the thick walls of the subwoofer cabinet, you'll have a place to duck into. tongue.gif
post #45 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You going to need her help to position it? They're heavy suckers...
post #46 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You going to need her help to position it? They're heavy suckers...

Well, she did help me put my 65" plasma on the wall mount, but wasn't too happy about it afterwards... I believe it weighs about 110lbs without the stand.

I will have to bribe a buddy to come over and help me get it into position more than likely.
post #47 of 57 Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

At least with the thick walls of the subwoofer cabinet, you'll have a place to duck into. tongue.gif

Fortunately no guns currently in the home so I won't have to test how well the cabinet holds up to gunshots. smile.gif
post #48 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1236
Quote:

Bump, still looking for input.

I seriously doubt that you will ever have good bass in a room that reflective.
post #49 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I seriously doubt that you will ever have good bass in a room that reflective.

You are probably right... but after the $100K I've dumped in to other renovations and improvements, the chance of me getting a dedicated HT room built any time in the next couple of years is precisely zero. 'Good' is relative... what I'm looking for right now is 'noticeably better than my SB12-Plus'.
post #50 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:

You are probably right... but after the $100K I've dumped in to other renovations and improvements, the chance of me getting a dedicated HT room built any time in the next couple of years is precisely zero. 'Good' is relative... what I'm looking for right now is 'noticeably better than my SB12-Plus'.

You don't need a dedicated room, you just need some acoustic tweaks to what you've got.
post #51 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You don't need a dedicated room, you just need some acoustic tweaks to what you've got.

Please elaborate. Room treatments?
post #52 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Please elaborate. Room treatments?

Yeah, stuff you hang on ceilings and walls, put on floors or stuff in corners to make the room less reverberant. Your room IMO very tastefully done, so we can't throw appearance to the winds. But this may not be Mission Impossible.

After staring at your picture for a while, I decided that a scaled plan view sketch would be a big help. Include the adjoining rooms if the openings into them are very large.
post #53 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey guys, guess what showed up a day early!

It is not quite as bad as I thought, I didn't move it all the way up against the wall but the furniture arrangement is not too shaken up by things. The other subs I was looking at likely would have been too big, but then again the wifey has not seen this one yet. DSC00858.jpg 379k .jpg file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00858.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	63698  
post #54 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OK, holy crap. Huge upgrade over the SB12-Plus. FREAKING HUGE!!!

It's not even broken in and I'm grinning ear to ear.

Is there any benefit in keeping the SB12-Plus running? If so I will have to see how hard it would be to calibrate XT32 with a single sub out to run both.
post #55 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

OK, holy crap. Huge upgrade over the SB12-Plus. FREAKING HUGE!!!
It's not even broken in and I'm grinning ear to ear.
Is there any benefit in keeping the SB12-Plus running? If so I will have to see how hard it would be to calibrate XT32 with a single sub out to run both.

Actually keeping the SB12 running could degrade the sound quality since it would not be able to keep up with the Epik and could start distrorting well before the Epik does.

You could probably sell it and get a nice return, SVS hold their value pretty well.

Congrats, and glad to hear you are enjoying it!
post #56 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I know that ear to ear grin!
post #57 of 57 Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM

As far as keeping the older sub in the system, I would as long as you aren't pushing things to their limits....like was said perhaps it wouldn't keep up. Should generally provide more even coverage in your room (placed appropriately) even if not a matching unit. At least that's my experience (unmeasured, tho) with adding 1 and 2 Infinity PSW310 subs I picked up on sale, in addition to my Empire. I have a big room, bigger than yours, just the basic room let alone open stairwell and adjoining rooms (altho the adjoining rooms have sliding doors, often at least one is open), so more pressurization is a good thing IMHO even if not matching/ideal. Right now I've just gone from the Empire and both Infinitys to just one and it's still very nice (but really haven't tried pushing limits a lot either, or measuring).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page