Definitive Tech. ProSub 60 8" Sub VS. Pol Audio PSW10 10" Sub? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am shopping for a decent sub to complete my shelf-stereo system that I am currently using as my PC speakers. I only have about $150 for the sub.

I am looking at two different brands/models. The Definitive Technology ProSub 60 8-Inch and the Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch. The dilemma is that, the Definitive sub only has an 8" driver, but good 150W amp. The Polk has a 10-inch driver but only a 50W amp. I realize that Definitive makes a bit higher-end speakers, so I am thinking that the sound will be less thump and more rumble if that makes sense.

Does the smaller driver make a big difference in the sound as far as the frequency of the lows it can effectively reach? I am not just looking for sub that just pours out muddy booming bass. If I was I'd just buy the cheapest thing available. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Based on the specs alone, I'd choose the Polk over the DefTech:
- The PSW10 is rated at 50W RMS, while the DefTech is rated at 150 "mystery" watts. Given DefTech's penchant for playing "fast and loose" with specs, the rating is probably the dynamic wattage, which would place the RMS wattage rating quite a bit lower.
- Similarly, I suspect the DefTech does not extend down to 24Hz @ -3dB (more likely @ -6dB or even -10dB), while the Polk's 35Hz extension is likely @ -3dB.

I haven't heard the DefTech, but I have heard the Polk and I think it would be a decent sub for a modest system in a smaller room.

That being said, if you can stretch your budget a bit I think you'd be quite a bit better off with the Energy S10.3 for ~$200 when on sale.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

That being said, if you can stretch your budget a bit I think you'd be quite a bit better off with the Energy S10.3 for ~$200 when on sale.

Neither of those others subs is really all that good, but the S10.3 certain is. Noticeably so, more then just a $50 bump would lead you to believe.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite