Another help me choose a sub thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have mirage os3 fs for my front left and right speakers and use a mirage os3-cc for center and mirage os3- sat for the rear satellite speakers.

Please do help me choose an appropriate sub. I like in the first floor of an apartment complex and can run my speakers to a normal volume and was never a problem.

1. Budget: 500$
2. Room dimensions : i have attached the floor plan. 16 X 14 hall extends into 13 X 6 Kitchen and a 4.4 X 5.5 space that leads to closed bedroom and toilet. 8 feet ceiling
3. 80 % movies, 20% music
4. took a sub from bestbuy for time being. supercube 2000, so i need a replacement sub in say 30 days.

My considerations.

1. PL-200 for 275$
2. Emotiva Ultra 10 for 350
3. HSU - What sub is right for my house. i couldnt decide between STF-1 / STF-2 / VTF-2. I see some used one on craigslist as well.
4. used SVS PB12-NSD for 400$

Please suggest. I love my mirage. Wanna complement it with a right sub.

FlooorPlan.jpg 22k .jpg file
Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlooorPlan.jpg (22.0 KB, 16 views)

My Setup:
Plasma Panasonic 65" VT50
A/V Receiver : Yamaha 671 7.1
Console: PS3, PS4
Speakers : Mirage OS3-FS L/R, OS3-CC, OS3-Sat Rear L/R with PB12-NSD Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
have a look at hsu vtf 2 and rythmik FV12. These subs are way betterr off than the hsu STF, PL-200
the PB12-NSD is a good sub too, belongs in the category of VTF2. Since you are getting it at 400, if all's well with the sub, my opinion would be to jump in and buy it.

being in an apartment, you might want to explore how best to decouple your sub from the floor
you dont want your neighbour throwing bricks at you wink.gif
post #3 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I would get the used SVS PB-12nsd if it's still available.

New I would look at the VTF-1 MK2.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
If the PB12-NSD is in acceptable (to you) cosmetic condition and 100% working order, I'd snag it.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions.

the HSU sub that i found as used is 9 years old and SVS is 5 years old. If i incline towards either what are the precautions that i should be taking.

Should i avoid a sub that is 9 years old. But the seller says that they are in pristine condition.

I also found a Outlaw LFM-1 plus for a nice price. New in the box with in NJ as well. I could drive to pick it up.

I enjoy the Sleepless nights for past five days in deciding which sub to choose.

My Setup:
post #6 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
IMO at 9 years old I would avoid, 5 years for the SVS might be ok. Ask the seller to demo it for you, check to make sure amp isn't too hot, check the woofer and the rubber/foam surround to make sure it didn't deteriate. Also ask how hard they used the sub if they listened loud and long and abused it I would steer clear (however I doubt a seller will be honest about that knowing their answer may make you walk away).

I would personally go with the LFM-1 Plus (I own 2 of them and love them).

Shawn
post #7 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Ask the seller to demo it for you, check to make sure amp isn't too hot, check the woofer and the rubber/foam surround to make sure it didn't deteriate.
+1. Re. the demo, bring material (movies, music) you're familiar with and play at different volume levels - you might hear something at a loud volume that doesn't reveal itself at a low volume, and vice-versa.
Quote:
I would personally go with the LFM-1 Plus
if the LFM-1 Plus is new-in-box and, presumably, comes with warranty, I'd go for that one, too.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

+1. Re. the demo, bring material (movies, music) you're familiar with and play at different volume levels - you might hear something at a loud volume that doesn't reveal itself at a low volume, and vice-versa.
if the LFM-1 Plus is new-in-box and, presumably, comes with warranty, I'd go for that one, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

IMO at 9 years old I would avoid, 5 years for the SVS might be ok. Ask the seller to demo it for you, check to make sure amp isn't too hot, check the woofer and the rubber/foam surround to make sure it didn't deteriate. Also ask how hard they used the sub if they listened loud and long and abused it I would steer clear (however I doubt a seller will be honest about that knowing their answer may make you walk away).
I would personally go with the LFM-1 Plus (I own 2 of them and love them).

Thanks for your suggestions. I am inclined towards Outlaw as well. Price seems to be right for me.

So no love for HSU VTF-2 and Emotiva Ultra sub 12.

My Setup:
post #9 of 15 Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

What are your suggestions on HSU STF-2. Do u think this sub can handle my room dimensions.

My Setup:
post #10 of 15 Old 09-16-2012, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I've had a VTF 2.3 for a while a year ago so perhaps I could offer some points for you. There are usually 2 types of bass heads: a) one that likes low and deep b) the other fast and punchy. If you like a then you'll probably be happy with Hsu since you also mentioned 80% for movies. So in my case I ended up selling both my Hsu the VTF 2.3 and a pair of ULS because I found out after spending over 2K I'm the fast and punchy person who loves a healthy dose of powerful mid bass my previous Velodynes gave me.

Hope that helps you some and get some sleep dude and get away from it for a while if it's causing you that much sleep loss. It's not the end of the world even if you pick Hsu, you'll be able to sell them close to their original value as they are have very strong re-sale value on craigslist. I was able to sell them within days with many interested parties so don't worry. Oh and your room is pretty small so that will help you too.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Liked: 25
If you haven't made a decision yet, you might want to consider the SSA Rumba 12. It's getting rave reviews and I can vouch for the support. Mine should arrive tomorrow and I can report back how it sounds. It's $549 + shipping.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I've had a VTF 2.3 for a while a year ago so perhaps I could offer some points for you. There are usually 2 types of bass heads: a) one that likes low and deep b) the other fast and punchy. If you like a then you'll probably be happy with Hsu since you also mentioned 80% for movies. So in my case I ended up selling both my Hsu the VTF 2.3 and a pair of ULS because I found out after spending over 2K I'm the fast and punchy person who loves a healthy dose of powerful mid bass my previous Velodynes gave me.

thanks. I appreciate it. Please do report.

Hope that helps you some and get some sleep dude and get away from it for a while if it's causing you that much sleep loss. It's not the end of the world even if you pick Hsu, you'll be able to sell them close to their original value as they are have very strong re-sale value on craigslist. I was able to sell them within days with many interested parties so don't worry. Oh and your room is pretty small so that will help you too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

If you haven't made a decision yet, you might want to consider the SSA Rumba 12. It's getting rave reviews and I can vouch for the support. Mine should arrive tomorrow and I can report back how it sounds. It's $549 + shipping.

biggrin.gif. Nice. Thanks. this research is eating my hours at work as well. I plan to order HSU VTF 2.4 soon. The used SVS PB12-NSD is still available. I couldnt pick it up this week. Seems it was a old version with 350 W. the owner said that he had to replace the gain knob which was damaged during the recent moving and got it fixed professionally.

Hope i will be ending to get either one of those.

My Setup:
post #13 of 15 Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Just placed an order for new VTF-2. But Svs pb12-NSD is available for 120$ more than what I spent on VTF-2.

Help me.

My Setup:
post #14 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

So you went back to Velo?
post #15 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

I Cancelled my order with VTF-2 and got the used PB12-NSD sub for 300$ instead. Man its huge. I just got it yday. So still playing with the settings.

I still am setting it up. I will post in the comments.

My Setup:
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page