Subwoofer for B&W CM5 Bookshelf Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM5 bookshelf speakers. I'm planning on pairing them with the Outlaw Audio rr2150 stereo amplifier.

What subwoofer would complement this system well?
Do I need an active or passive subwoofer?
Which has better sound quality: active or passive?

price range: $300-$500
listening area: 12ft x 14 ft with 10 foot ceilings
music that I listen to: alternative rock, progressive house, electro, and classical

Really, for the subwoofer, I'm looking for something that does have some kick to it but is still very tight and clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you are looking for rythmik
a little over your budget though and currently out of stock...until mostly end of year
post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamludwinski View Post

I recently bought a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM5 bookshelf speakers. I'm planning on pairing them with the Outlaw Audio rr2150 stereo amplifier.
What subwoofer would complement this system well?
Do I need an active or passive subwoofer?
Which has better sound quality: active or passive?
price range: $300-$500
listening area: 12ft x 14 ft with 10 foot ceilings
music that I listen to: alternative rock, progressive house, electro, and classical
Really, for the subwoofer, I'm looking for something that does have some kick to it but is still very tight and clean.

You mean the srereo receiver RR2150. Make sure it has bass management that meets your needs. Many stereo receives do have a sub output but they output full range in which case that is not the best for you. For your case, you are better off with a AVR that has bass management so that you dont play your speakers as "full range" and let the receiver do the bass management.

RR2150 does say it has selectable analog bass management but read the manual before you make the decision. For the price of the RR2150, you could get a mid range Audio/Video receiver by Denon or Onkyo that will give you bass management, more features like room correction and the sound quality would still be decent. Make sure the AVR you buy has pre-outs so that you can add an amp later if you want.

For $300-500, if you want clean, tight bass, you have limited options. You would want a powered sub. Not many options come to my mind that can give you clean tight bass in that range. HSU STF-2, Klipsch RW-12D are some with good value for the money but nothing extraordinary. There are many low end subs in the $300-350 range, but again nothing exceptional. Epik Legend at $499 may fit your bill but I am hesitant to recommend as Epik subs seem to have amp issues.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You may want to hunt around for a lightly used Velodyne 10" MiniVee. It's a $900 sub which you can find for ~$500-$600. I am very happy with it next to my CM9s. It will more than fill your room, looks good and sounds great.

Video: Epson 5010 / SI Black Diamond G3 1.4 / Oppo BDP-103 / Darbee Darblet
Audio: Yamaha RX-A820 / Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200/ B&W: CM9s, CMC2, CM7s / Seaton Submersive HP
post #5 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 744
The RR2150 has crossover settings on the back. It'll be fine for bass management.

You describe a "listening area." If this is a sealed room that size, then a 10" sub sealed sub from Emotiva or NHT would be a good bet for music listening. For some reason, I couldn't find the X-Ref 10 listed on Emotivas website at the moment (here's a review), so check out the NHT B-10d.

However, a 10" sealed sub probably wouldn't work very well if your listening area is part of a much longer room.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Liked: 12
This is what I have bundled up with my CM5's Here and it does a great job in a large space and LOVES corners

3 things in life my father said to me

1. Deny till death
2. If you dont sleep with her, someone else will
3. If it dont fit, force it
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page