Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what is the difference between the sealed F12 & the ported FV12

here is what I found
FV12 is Ported, with 300w Amp having a frequency response of 20 - 100 Hz

F12 is Sealed, with 370w Amp having a frequency response of 14 - 200 Hz

How is the F12 better than the FV12? It costs 300$ more than the FV12. Is it that much better than FV12?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
The F12 is a sealed sub with better SQ; the FV12 is a ported sub with more SPL. So which is better for you actually depends on how you are going to use it (music mostly? HT?) and how big the room is.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Music - 75 & HT - 25
Currently room is small - 14x12. Intend to build a bigger room in future. Sized not bigger than 14x 22 with height no more than 12.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs View Post

what is the difference between the sealed F12 & the ported FV12

One you can buy, the other you can't. The FV12 has been out of production for a while, so between those two I'd vote for the F12... smile.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

it is expected by end of year
Quote:
so between those two I'd vote for the F12...
and reasons being?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

One you can buy, the other you can't. The FV12 has been out of production for a while, so between those two I'd vote for the F12... smile.gif

According to their website they still have them available for sale. (and on the actual order page the price shows as $499) http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html
Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and reasons being?

As previously stated, "The FV12 has been out of production for a while". The new one, which is still several months away, is not going to be the same as the current one. At this point that makes it impossible to compare it with anything else, since it doesn't exist yet. That's why I would opt for the F12; you can actually buy that.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it still far out of production? Or are they getting close to shipment? I noticed you can add it to the cart now on Rythmik's website.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Is it still far out of production? Or are they getting close to shipment? I noticed you can add it to the cart now on Rythmik's website.

I've already arranged to have one of the new models sent to me for review. The estimation I've been given is "The sub will be in production to make the year end shopping season". I'm scheduled to check back with them about a month from now, at which point I'm hoping they'll have a more definitive release date.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've already arranged to have one of the new models sent to me for review. The estimation I've been given is "The sub will be in production to make the year end shopping season". I'm scheduled to check back with them about a month from now, at which point I'm hoping they'll have a more definitive release date.

Wow! I wonder why they have them available to add to the cart then? (I know you don't know). Oh well.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

i checked with em a couple of days back...and i got the same reply...by year end it should be out
Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As previously stated, "The FV12 has been out of production for a while". The new one, which is still several months away, is not going to be the same as the current one. At this point that makes it impossible to compare it with anything else, since it doesn't exist yet. That's why I would opt for the F12; you can actually buy that.
you mean to say that this new sub will be different to the one they manufactured earlier....then why the same model name
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you mean to say that this new sub will be different to the one they manufactured earlier....then why the same model name

Yes, it will be different. I'm not necessarily saying it will be drastically different -- nor am I say it won't be either wink.gif -- but it's not going to be the same as the previous model. Frankly, it wouldn't have made sense for Rythmik to discontinue the current unit and then re-release the identical thing. It is being updated.

As far as the name is concerned... I'm not really certain why they chose to do that, but I never asked them the question either. Just speculating; perhaps because of the name recognition they already enjoy? The FV12 did carry quite a bit of cache, from a value/performance standpoint.
ShaQBlogs likes this.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Liked: 16
From Rythmik re:new FV12:"The enclosure size, driver size, and port size are the same. But the amp's extension filter is not."

The redesigned FV12 will also be rear ported.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

one would expect it to be better than not....i could be wrong thou
wher i live, shipping FV12 itself is quite expensive, comes totally to about 1100$.... and goes up a lot more for the F12

is going DIY a good idea? no experience at all
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM

getting anything shipped from the states is going to cost a lot, even if it just a high quality driver (they can be really heavy)...have you tried to source anything locally?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

getting anything shipped from the states is going to cost a lot, even if it just a high quality driver (they can be really heavy)...have you tried to source anything locally?
the subs that we get locally are polk, yamo, velodyne, wharfdale, and svs.
i did explore the svs option, and i find that a little more money would get me a much better sub from rythmik or hsu shipped direct. If i remember it right, for a little over the price of PB10, i was getting FV12 or VTF2.

it would basically cost me twice the cost of a sub, to get a sub to here, and a lot less if i get the driver itself since it is lot lesser in weight.
This combination could work out a hell lot of cheaper and even get a second sub. (over kill for my room size - 14 x 12)
this with this

But, i am not sure how good an idea it is going DIY. How hard is it to get clean and tight bass? What challenges and risks are involved
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM

I'm in no place to help you there, I don't have the tools (or skills) needed to build my own cabinets. There is a good DIY forum here that can tell you everything you need, and if you build it correctly you can pretty much know what kind of FR and output you will get from a project with set driver and enclosure.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 437
If you haven't already, this is a question you should pose in a new post in the DIY section, you are bound to get more responses. Can you get an amplifier locally? Do you have the tools and skills to cut wood and make the cabinet? or, can you have that done inexpensively where you are at? If the answers are yes, then it may be worth your while to order a decent driver and put something together yourself. It won't be cheap, but it can be a better value than ordering a whole sub from the US.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If you haven't already, this is a question you should pose in a new post in the DIY section, you are bound to get more responses. Can you get an amplifier locally? Do you have the tools and skills to cut wood and make the cabinet? or, can you have that done inexpensively where you are at? If the answers are yes, then it may be worth your while to order a decent driver and put something together yourself. It won't be cheap, but it can be a better value than ordering a whole sub from the US.
thats right....it is quite cheap to build it here. thats why i am exploring this option. It works much cheaper and give me more powerful sub.

will post it in the DIY section.

User Tag List