Is a $200 entry level sub better than no sub at all? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some Paradigm Monitor 11 floor standers that are being powered by an Emotiva XPA-2. My surrounds are some cheap streem audio that do the job adequetly enough powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-05. I had an ed A7s450 subwoofer but it has recently died so at the moment I have no sub at all. My dillema is that after having significant bass reproduction, I really can't seem to live with no LFE, but at the present time I am in no position to purchase anything even close to the equivalent of the A7s450.

The most I can do is $200 until I can save up for what I really want, which will be either the HSU VTF-15H or the Powersound Audio XV15. From my searching, it sounds like i'm looking at the BIC F12 or the Polk 505 among a few others. I know these subs will not be enough, i'm just looking for something cheap that will get me by for the next 6 months or so. My Paradigms are nice, but obviously after having the ED there is a huge hole in my system without it. With all of you guys experience and knowledge, will a $200 sub just end up making me frustrated because of what I was used to having? Or will it at least be better than none at all, and hold me over until I can purchase one of the big boys. And if so, which of the cheaper subs are recommended the most? I'm pretty much 50/50 on music/movies by the way. I don't know the exact dimensions of the room but lets just say it would be considered meduim/large. I had the A7s450 and before that I owned a HSU VTF-2 I think it was called, so you get the idea of what kind of bass I like. Thanks for the help guys, I really need it right now.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-14-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 475
If you absolutely must have some subwooferage, pick up an Energy S10.3 for $200, use it for a few months, sell it for $150 and put that money - plus additional savings - toward a better sub.

IMO, the S10.3 will provide better/deeper bass overall than what the M11s can deliver. As a temporary measure, I think it's worth pursuing.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Yes. I agree with eljaycanuck. Get the S10.3. It'll help out until you can get something better. It's not going to get super loud, but it has a reputation for better SQ than the F12 and PSW505.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Are you somewhat handy with tools? If so, you can build a decent sub or two and power it with the XPA-2 until you can afford what you want. A couple of Infinity 1260s and a sheet of 3/4" MDF should run you about $150 add in a few nick nacks (glue, gasket tape, screws, paint, etc.) for maybe another $20 and you can have a decent setup. Of course this is also assuming you have some tools.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just got the go ahead to add another $150 to that $200 if that would make a difference. I guess that opens up a few more options such as the PL-200 or possibly the HSU STF-2. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 04:03 AM

Liked: 25
In that price range, I hear that the Jamo Sub650 is the way to go. You could also look used. I found a SSA Rumba 12 for under $400 delivered. Although Fedex screwed up that for me. Thank God there was insurance and that Murrel is a stand up guy.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you guys know I ended up buying a BIC PL-200. $280 shipped. I've been researching like crazy and ultimately I just had to make a decision and take the plunge and hope for the best. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Congrats on the new sub - I hope it works out for you as an interim solution until you get "back in the game". smile.gif
post #9 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I hope this thing can hold me over for the next 6 months or so. It's gotta be better than just my Paradigms trying to handle the LFE. But I'm already anxious to have the real deal again. Just a matter of time. By the time i'm ready I'm sure there will be enough side by side comparisons of the HSU and Powersound Audio so I can come to a decision between the two of those. But until then heres to hoping the BIC fills the void.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked: 40
The PL200 is pretty solid down to the low 20s in most rooms, so if your AVR can do sub EQ I would suggest corner loading it to maximize your output and depth as long as it doesn't create any major nulls at your listening position. It is a very solid performer for the price and it doesn't hurt that Dr. Hsu helped design it!
post #11 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Congrats! I'm sure the PL-200 will be a big plus over the Monitor 11's by themselves. smile.gif

Be sure to let us know how the combination works for you.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I wouldn't mate a cheap sub with those nice Paradigms but that's just me. Have you tried running the Monitor 11's full range?
post #13 of 17 Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

The PL200 is pretty solid down to the low 20s in most rooms, so if your AVR can do sub EQ I would suggest corner loading it to maximize your output and depth as long as it doesn't create any major nulls at your listening position. It is a very solid performer for the price and it doesn't hurt that Dr. Hsu helped design it!

I'll take your advice and try the corner placement. I was thinking the same about Dr. HSU being involved with this thing so it's gotta be pretty decent.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Congrats! I'm sure the PL-200 will be a big plus over the Monitor 11's by themselves. smile.gif
Be sure to let us know how the combination works for you.

Thanks man will do.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I wouldn't mate a cheap sub with those nice Paradigms but that's just me. Have you tried running the Monitor 11's full range?
Yes I have the Paradigms set to full and they sound great, but you gotta understand that I am used to some serious bass reproduction with 1300 watts rms powering an 18" driver. People can say what they want about ED but that thing moved some serious air. The Paradigms alone just don't stand a chance by themselves after that. I wouldn't normally consider having a cheaper sub in there either, but I'm just not in a position to replace the ED with something comparable right now. I just need something for the time being that can help fill the void. It's just temporary until I can get a serious sub again, and when I do I'll either sell the BIC or integrate it into the system somehow.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Liked: 11
This is WAAAAAAY too late, but when I thought one of my EPIK 18" subwoofers had a bad amp, I was considering powering it with a Crown Pro amp. It turned out that the amp wasn't bad after all, but when you already have the box and speaker, all you have to do is power it with something else.

Bill C
post #17 of 17 Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCinLR View Post

This is WAAAAAAY too late, but when I thought one of my EPIK 18" subwoofers had a bad amp, I was considering powering it with a Crown Pro amp. It turned out that the amp wasn't bad after all, but when you already have the box and speaker, all you have to do is power it with something else.
Bill C

Actually the amp in the ED is fine it's the driver that's toast. I searched for a suitable replacement but finding a cheap yet high quality 18 inch driver that will handle 1300 watts rms turned out to be more difficult than I thought. The good ones I found were approaching or beyond the price of an entire new high end subwoofer, or they were so cheap they were just crap. Not to mention I can't help but be worried that the ED amp will crap out as soon as I install the new driver which would be my luck. So I decided to just save up and get a sub from a trusted, reputable company. In the meantime I need something to hold me over so I chose the BIC pl-200.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page