Suggesations for a difficult room (pic inside) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So I've been slowly redoing my setup as we moved into a new house.

- there are 4 Boston acoustics Hsi 470T2 in-celings serving as the surroung back and surround rears (came with the house)
- have songtower/songcenter for the fronts
- just bought a Onkyo 818 for the AVR to replace my pioneer sc-35

now looking for a sub.

- I have roughly a 22 x 34 x 10 foot room, with the couch diving the room in half (see pic). There are hardwood floors, big glass window and open stair case to the house
- I'd like to keep the budget to roughly 700-800
- we don't listen super loud: maybe -15 db on a receiver max

I've looked at the subs in this price range from the ID brands (SVS, HSU, Power sound, EPIK, rythmik) and not really sure which is the best to go for.

WAF is semi important. I could add another sub in a few months -or- if there is 1 sub that would suffice, I could probably up the budget to ~1000 (plus/minus)

thoughts, suggestions?

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post

- I have roughly a 22 x 34 x 10 foot room, with the couch diving the room in half (see pic). There are hardwood floors, big glass window and open stair case to the house - I'd like to keep the budget to roughly 700-800

That room is about 7500 cubic feet, so I seriously doubt any $800 subwoofer is going to really give you sufficient output. If your budget is fixed then two options you might want to consider are the PSA XV15 or the Epik Empire. Don't expect much though - that's an awful lot of space to fill with a single subwoofer.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 82
For a grand you could do two of the Outlaw EXs when they go on sale. I would either stack them in the front left corner or try nearfield (flank that couch on each side with them).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

For a grand you could do two of the Outlaw EXs when they go on sale. I would either stack them in the front left corner or try nearfield (flank that couch on each side with them).

The last sale on the EX's was $599 shipped. Two of them would be $1198, a bit more than a grand. Two Plus's used to be $998 shipped, on sale. It is still unknown if the price is going up on the Plus sales, as well.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
I also have a huge space -- family room is 25x16x18, and it is open to the entire first floor, two-story foyer, and upstairs hall. I simply couldn't afford to get a sub large enough to fill my space. So, based on the recommendations here, I got two Klipsch RW-12ds ($299 at Newegg). Both are crossed over at 80hz and corner-loaded, one in the front corner and the other by my couch. Volume isn't an issue -- I had to turn them down to about 2/3 volume (and my wife wants me to turn them down even further ...) -- and the nearfield sub can certainly be felt. I haven't done any measurements yet, and so I don't know how low they're going. But all things considered, I've got to say I'm pretty happy with the pair.

Disclaimer: I don't really consider myself a "basshead," and I rarely watch movies above -20 db, so YMMV.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Liked: 38
In your situation would value dual subwoofers.

Otherwise, HSU VTF-15H, SVS PB12-NSD DSP, PSA XV15 or the new Klipsch 15 "SW-115 looks like a good option and attractive (Stop that Klipsch released a model to the market to compete with direct selling subwoofers internet).

Should you get dual subwoofer, would go for twice SB12-NSD or PB12-NSD DSP.

Another attractive option with dual 15 "could be the Epik Empire.

A hug.

Israel

post #7 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM

Liked: 10
Looking at the picture of your room, the ceiling doesn't look like it's 10 ft. high, must be the angle the shot was taken of it? Yea, that's a big room, you'll probably need to go with a couple of ported subs.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 820
At 15dB under reference you should be okay with most of the options listed. Assuming you have the bass calibrated close, you'll need a max of what...100-105dB? If you can place the sub in/near a corner you'll see something like 6-9dB more output versus a 2m ground plane measurements. And it looks like the sub would be within 3-4 meters of the seating? If all that is about right...

Any sub that can manage close to 105dB over the majority of its intended bandwidth outside at 2m should be ok here. Figure 105 + 7.5(for corner loading) -(minus) 4-6dB going from the 2m outside stuff to 3-4 meters and you should still be in the 107-108dB area(clean bass at your seating positions). Now, if for some reason the sub is in the middle of the room(little boundary reinforcement) and / or a lot further from the seating positions...that should be accounted for of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #9 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

At 15dB under reference you should be okay with most of the options listed. Assuming you have the bass calibrated close, you'll need a max of what...100-105dB? If you can place the sub in/near a corner you'll see something like 6-9dB more output versus a 2m ground plane measurements. And it looks like the sub would be within 3-4 meters of the seating? If all that is about right...
Any sub that can manage close to 105dB over the majority of its intended bandwidth outside at 2m should be ok here. Figure 105 + 7.5(for corner loading) -(minus) 4-6dB going from the 2m outside stuff to 3-4 meters and you should still be in the 107-108dB area(clean bass at your seating positions). Now, if for some reason the sub is in the middle of the room(little boundary reinforcement) and / or a lot further from the seating positions...that should be accounted for of course.
Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The load on the corner is one of the best cases to locate a single subwoofer. But even with that gain approx 6 dBs and even equalizing for better FR, put the subwoofer in the corner can be a problem, because his answer would lose composure. I think sometimes it is better to lose a few decibels in exchange for better FR.
What do you think of my thoughts?

I think the dual subwoofer option would be the best (The problem is that it goes very right in your budget for it). It would be interesting to double XV15.

Anyway I agree with what you say.

A hug.

Israel

post #10 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks everyone for the answers so far:

yeah, I know the room is huge and a $700 budget wouldn't "cut it", but I was hoping that limitation would be offset by my listening habit (ie never near reference).

If I sum the responses, it sounds like if I put a $700-ish sub in the far left corner (which is ~10-12 feet from the center of the couch) I *should* be ok, and that adding a second $700-ish sub down the line would definately be enough?

Am I reading the tea winds correctly?

(by the way, thanks everyone for the input)

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 364
It's impossible to say if that is indeed the case, but it's the best possible solution given the circumstances. Corner loading will provide the most output, which is significant. I'd be leery of turning it up too loud though; you're asking a lot from single sub, and if you do end up cranking the volume you may push beyond the subs capabilities. Generally speaking you'll know if this happens because you'll hear the distress, but it might be wise to err on the side of caution anyway.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page