What are the sonic differences between… - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Paradigm Sub 1 (2012) and a Velodyne DD 18 (2007)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreekk View Post

Paradigm Sub 1 (2012) and a Velodyne DD 18 (2007)?

The Sub 1 should have deeper extension and more output than the original DD-18. The Sub 1 has more driver area than the Velo, and more amplifier power.

If you compare the DD-18 Plus to the Sub 1 the contest is much, much closer, however, the MSRP of the Sub 1 is $3,500 while the DD-18 Plus lists for $5,800 eek.gif

But, if you are willing to buy a lightly used DD-18 Plus from Audiogon, There was one for sale at $3,500 at Audiogon.

The person here you should talk to is member Peterpioli in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358508/velodyne-dd-18
post #3 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I kept my questions general because I wanted a full range of responses. (But, regardless of the forum involved, I get tired of the responses which begin with: “It depends…” or “I have not tried it, but… ”.) I already have an Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Velodyne DD 18 (2007) for $1,700 or purchase a new Paradigm Sub 1 for about $2,200. This conundrum is a matter of opportunity.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
That's an excellent price in the Paradigm SUB 1.

I had the SUB 1 for a while and what I remember the most was it's low distortion. I would choose it over the velodyne because it's nearly new vs. five years old and it has more output.

Does the Velodyne have room correction?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

If you compare the DD-18 Plus to the Sub 1 the contest is much, much closer, however, the MSRP of the Sub 1 is $3,500 while the DD-18 Plus lists for $5,800 eek.gif

But, if you are willing to buy a lightly used DD-18 Plus from Audiogon, There was one for sale at $3,500 at Audiogon.

The SUB 1 MSRP is currently $5999:

http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/paradigm-signature-sub-piano-black-3400-watt-powered-subwoofer-sub-each-p-5115.html

post #6 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Here is my equipment:

Pre-Pro: Anthem AVM 50V
Amplifier: Anthem PVA 7
Center: Paradigm CC570 v.3
Fronts: Paradigm Studio 40 v.2
Surrounds: Paradigm Studio ADP-590 v.1
Rears: Paradigm Studio 20 v.4
Subwoofer 1: Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s
Subwoofer 2: Paradigm PS-1000
Subwoofer 3 (new, unopened, not in use): Def. Tech. Supercube 4000
Source Blu-ray player: Oppo BDP 95
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE4000U
Power management: PS Audio Power Plant Premiere AC Regenerator

I have a vaulted living/dining room that is 24’ long and 15’ wide. The screen is at the front (8’ end) of the room and the listening position is about 12’ away, with the remaining 12’ behind the seated area. The vault is 16’ high, at the back of the room, behind the seating area. The floors are hardwood and the walls are sheetrock. We have two sofas, two bookcases, a table, a buffet and some things on the walls. The main use of the HT system is for movies. The sound, especially the dialogue, is not as clear as I would like (i.e., not as clear as the theater I built in the basement of my old house). I have an opportunity to get a subwoofer at a great price: A used, 2007 Velodyne DD 18 (with room correction) for $1,700, or a new Paradigm Sub 1 for about $2,200. In reality, most of the problems with the sound are due to the acoustics of the room, but who can pass up a deal like this for one (or both) of these subwoofers?
post #7 of 8 Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

More... The front, right half of the room opens on one side with a ½-high wall to a closed hallway, and the back, right half of the room opens to another hallway and also to a second open area to a den. Basically, the back half of the room - with the vault - is open.

The CC is directly in front of the seating position and is tilted up about 30 degrees to aim directly at the listeners’ ear. The CC, fronts and Infinity sub are on a similar line facing the seating area, with nothing in between them and us. There is a large rug on the floor between all the speakers (including the CC) and the seating area.

The suggestion of buying one Sub 1 now and getting a second one later is a good idea. I like having two subs and having them matched will probably improve what I am hearing/feeling.

The last issue, that I didn’t want to muddy the waters with, is that we will probably be moving in 6 to 12 months. Unfortunately, we don’t know where we are going. But at least, we will be taking our HT equipment with us (again smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

All - This thread has been moved to another thread: "What subs do you think will pair up best?" at: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1429758/what-subs-do-you-think-will-pair-up-best .
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page