BIC PL-200 review (first impressions anyways) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello fellow bass afficianados. I posted just a short while back asking for advice and suggestions on a temporary sub to hold me over until I can afford to get the real thing. Thanks to you guys that took the time to give me your thoughts. I ended up going with the BIC/Acoustech PL-200. Just got it last night and had a little bit of a chance to hook it up and play with it for a couple of hours. So I thought I would share my initial impressions for those of you that are in the market for some budget bass and are considering this sub as an option.

Just a little background of what I used to have; I had a HSU VTF-2 for a number of years, then went to an ED A7s450 and have had that for maybe 4 years now. The driver crapped out on that sub which brings me to my current position of having to settle for something on the cheap until I can get back in the heavy weight sub world again. I went with the PL-200 based on research, reviews and my wants and needs in the bass department.

Set-up was easy. The only thing that might be confusing for those that are not familiar with subwoofers and set-up would be the crossover switch on the back of the sub. It states in the instructions to have the "Reciever type" toggle swicth set properly for the type of receiever you have. Pro-logic or otherwise. This is simply the crossover switch for either using the sub's internal crossover or the recievers. For those that don't know, set it to out to use the reciever crossover and in to use the subs. I'm using my reciever crossover set to 80hz, reciever sub level at 0 for music listening and -8 to -6 for movies, and the level on the sub itself set at about 11 o'clock. Also, I have it sitting in the front RH corner of the room.

I listened to a few cd's first, I listen to music half the time so I was anxious to hear how the sub handled it, and I have to say it did a pretty good job. Nothing like the ED of course but much better than my Paradigm Monitor 11 floor standers can do alone. Kick drums sound and feel solid and deep. A little muddy when super low bass guitar or subsonic keys come in but really not bad at all. I was surprised because I expected to be disappointed and that wasn't the case. I think I read that Dr. HSU helped in the design of this sub and that is certainly evident. It feels like good quality bass, not punchy but solid and warm. Nothing that is going to crumble the walls or melt your face, but nice full, solid, low end thump. definately acceptable for the time being.

Next I watched a couple of choice scenes from Iron Man and The Hulk. Again, very surprised at how well this sub handled taxing LFE. Explosions were impactful and rumbling, I have a fairly large room that opens into the rest of the house and it really did a good job of filling the area with full, powerful bass. Even the subsonic cannons in the hulk wre handled with relative ease. I never felt like the sub was being pushed to the brink. no distortion , no bottoming out, just deep powerful bass. Pretty impressive considering what I am used to. Also, this sub does do movies a bit better than music. It does do a decent enough job for music, just not quite as good as it does movies.

Just to clarify, this is NOT a sub even close to the likes of the high end subs from HSU, SVS, Seaton, etc. There is simply nothing that compares to a true high end sub. It just can't reproduce bass as authoritive, powerful and commanding as one of the big time units. But this PL-200 does hold it's own in providing an adequete substitution for someone that simply needs a temporary fix, or someone that is just wanting to enter the world of LFE but doesn't want to spend 2 or 3 weeks pay to get it. It offers good solid bass on a budget. For me, this will more than hold me over until I can afford to get the real deal again. For $280 bucks shipped, it would be hard to beat. Hopefully this little review will help a couple people with deciding on a budget sub. Thanks for reading . Take care everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
That's great that it worked out for you. And good to hear from someone who owned the ED A7s450 that the BIC PL-200 is a good sub for it's price. That's saying a lot smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 23 Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Mine arrives next week, can't wait!! smile.gif

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #4 of 23 Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Liked: 12
Wow, great review -- from someone who has owned higher-end subs. Thanks for that.

Any ideas how the BIC F-12 might compare to this one? If the performance of the BIC F-12 (which I just ordered last night) is anything close to your PL-200, I will be very happy.

Steve
post #5 of 23 Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think it will be close to the PL-200 but with a little less power. I think the F-12 is 150 watts RMS, the PL-200 is 250. But I would think it will be similar in performance. I have had even more time with the PL-200, spent all night listening to various cd's and watching a bunch of action scenes of different movies. This is a great little sub. It can get pretty low and everything coming from it is powerful. I have even found it is handling my favorite music very nicely. I still say it is more at home with movies, but I gotta admit that I'm very satisfied with how it performs with music. I expected it not to because of the reviews, but it's solid to my ears. I think this is a little hidden gem. Theres just something about it that I really like.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 PM

versicolor --

I appreciate the continued feedback on your PL-200. So many reviews of these "lower-end" subs come from guys like me who have little experience with subs, and thus things may sound "better" to us than they really are. I think you are in a unique situation in that you've owned some good ones, and in going "back" to a lower-level sub, you can give some really good thoughts on its performance.

Thank you,

Steve
post #7 of 23 Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

Mine arrives next week, can't wait!! smile.gif

You are going to be happy with it. This is a great budget subwoofer.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg66 View Post

versicolor --
I appreciate the continued feedback on your PL-200. So many reviews of these "lower-end" subs come from guys like me who have little experience with subs, and thus things may sound "better" to us than they really are. I think you are in a unique situation in that you've owned some good ones, and in going "back" to a lower-level sub, you can give some really good thoughts on its performance.
Thank you,
Steve

Your welcome man. Thats cool, I was hoping that I could help others with my thoughts on the sub so I'm glad you feel I have. I was skeptical about even purchasing a cheaper subwoofer after having owned two high end ones. I thought I could be nothing but disappointed. But the complete opposite happened and I really like it. I think the fact that I went a few weeks with no sub at all helped with allowing me to accept what a lower end sub can offer. Maybe if I literally went from the ED one day and the BIC the next I wouldn't be so receptive of it, but as it is right now it more than makes up for the lack of depth and low end grunt that was missing in my system. And to my surprise it isn't just "good enough", it's actually impressive. I have The Police concert blu-ray from when they reunited, and the bass drum on that recording is extremely deep and powerful, especially on "Wrapped Around Your Finger". Stewart Copeland hits this huge floor tom through the first half of that song and it is simply awesome when he does. The BIC reproduces it with a deep solidity and force. I can feel it throughout my whole body when that thing hits. Same thing with the 5.1 remix/remaster of Rush's Moving Pictures. That has to be one of the best sounding recordings ever, and the BIC is solid, deep and powerful when the drums hit. Had I never experienced the HSU or the ED subs, I could be content with this sub for a very long while.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 AM

Yep -- your thoughts most definitely help, and are appreciated.

What I'm perhaps most surprised about is that you feel it does well even with music. Most have said that some of these lower-end subs will do better in a "watching movies" application as opposed to listening to music; but -- while someone might argue that you were "watching" this music smile.gif (as opposed to listening to a CD or mp3 or whatever) -- your comments about how well it did with the drums and such in these concert recordings particularly surprises me.

Thanks much for sharing this info with us.

Steve
post #10 of 23 Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Versicolor: Awesome review!!!...... I own the BIC/Acoustech PL-89 7.0 speaker package, and I'm very pleased and impressed with the speakers. Very hard if not impossible to beat at their price point. I don't have the PL-200 tho, I am running Dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs, so I'm at the low end of the "good" subs, but I can appreciate what the very high end subs offer over the Pluses. I can also appreciate what a great budget sub has to offer.

Also I love the piano high gloss black finish on the top and bottom of these speakers and the sub also.

As was already stated its great to get a review of a good budget sub like the PL-200 from a person like yourself. After hearing this review and owning the speakers I would not hesitate recommending the PL-200 or the whole speaker set to friends, family members, or customers. As you stated its a great sub for ppl that just don't want to spend $500, $700, $1k, or even $2k on subs.

Shawn
post #11 of 23 Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Thanks for contributing that. It's always nice to see people take the time to write something up. It ends up helping others out.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #12 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Hi there nice review..

I've been lurking and researching subs for a week on here. Going crazy really..

Can you tell me how you would rate the PL-200 against the STF-2?

Those are 2 of the subs I'm looking at. I listen to a to a 50/50 mix of music and movies.

Much appreciated!
post #13 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRocket View Post

Can you tell me how you would rate the PL-200 against the STF-2?

How big is your room? What do you plan to use it for (movies/gaming/music)? How loud do you like it? These factors could affect which would be better for you.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #14 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM

rw12te name="cel4145" url="/t/1430622/bic-pl-200-review-first-impressions-anyways#post_22529842"]
How big is your room? What do you plan to use it for (movies/gaming/music)? How loud do you like it? These factors could affect which would be better for you.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply..

My family room is 15x20x8 but it's open to our 18x27x8 kitchen.

60/40 split for music and movies. I have in-ceiling energy speakers and I don't usually crank up my music too loud.

I'm looking at the SFT-2, PL-200, Klipsch RW-12d..and open to suggestions.

I'm picking up a Mirage s-8 but after reading here I think it's too small.

Looking to spend under $400 but was hoping for the $300 range.

Thanks a lot!
post #15 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For that size space with the opening, the PL-200 and RW-12d make more sense than a 10" sub. I've had a 10" sub that is comparable to the STF-2 in output in that size space. One of those two 12" subs will perform better when you turn up your system.

post #16 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Thanks for your input cel..

Am I limited by my in-ceiling speakers when it comes to a sub selection?

Also I understand there is some compromise at this price range..I would want it to be good at music.

Would i be correct in thinking that the HSU would be best for music?
But the other two would fill the room better?

Any other opinions?

Thanks!
post #17 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah. The STF-2 might be a little better for music. But then again don't count on it rocking the room with EDM or hip hop.

And no. It shouldn't matter with your ceiling speakers.

post #18 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM

My room is 14x20 with vaulted ceilings. Do i need teh extra power of the pl-200 or is the f12 enough?
post #19 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppilee View Post

My room is 14x20 with vaulted ceilings. Do i need teh extra power of the pl-200 or is the f12 enough?

Yes. You should get the PL-200 because the BIC F12 might not be enough in such a large room.

post #20 of 23 Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM

Great review. I was on the fence between the PL-200 and the JBL ES250P. Not any more. Ordered PL200 and it will be here Tuesday. Cant wait to hook it up. It is replacing a Polk PSW-110 which blew its amp after 2 years.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 374
versicolor: Nice review, indeed. Just remember that BIC speakers and subwoofers are known for longer break-in periods. Look for small increases in performance over the coming weeks/months.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 PM

Just received my PL-200. In the process of setting it up? I have 2 questions----Where should I set the phase switch 0 or 180. I will be running the cross-over thru the receiver and will set it at 80. My question is --- should I set the crossover knob on the back of the sub to zero or does the receiver eliminate it all together if you are running cross over thru receiver. Thanks, Jim
post #23 of 23 Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocahoe View Post

Just received my PL-200. In the process of setting it up? I have 2 questions----Where should I set the phase switch 0 or 180. I will be running the cross-over thru the receiver and will set it at 80. My question is --- should I set the crossover knob on the back of the sub to zero or does the receiver eliminate it all together if you are running cross over thru receiver. Thanks, Jim

To run the receivers crossover set the pl-200 to out and then it shouldn't matter where you put the crossover knob on the sub (though most turn it full up).  Phase usually will be 0 but depends on location.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page