Question: Effect on Room of Placing a Subwoofer on a Vaulted Ceiling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

My friend is helping me place the four BIC Acoustech PL-200 subs I recently purchased to go with my new Onkyo TX-NR5010 receiver.

The typical placement for four subs would be one in each corner. Trouble is, that would place one of the subs right in the middle of walking space.

My friend had the idea of putting one of the subs on top of my vaulted ceiling. That's a good 10-12 feet above the other speakers, but at least would allow for each sub to be in a corner of this 24 feet x 16 feet room.

Will this sub being so high off the ground and coming from a vaulted ceiling sound different than the other subs? How screwy will the acoustics be? Or will its heighth and ceiling placement have no effect at all - and may be the best way to go?

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with such a situation, or could make an educated guess if the sound produced would be bad....

Thanks. smile.gif

Sub would be placed on vaulted ceiling, the rear left of the room (top-right of photo)

View from the subwoofer wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Technically speaking placement of a subwoofer is not critical due to the audio properties of low frequency sound waves. I have placed subwoofers anywhere on the floor without any adverse effects but have no practical experience with high placement. I would probably give more weight to the audio properties of the room rather than critical subwoofer placement. My 2¢
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 PM

I would contact BIC tech support for a definite answer to this question
post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Bass modes and nodes will be affected by the subs location (S) throughout the room. The shape of the room will also affect the sound. This is not necessarily an argument against placing the subs higher up though. Most of the reason you see subs on the ground is that subs are heavy, and it is it less visually obtrusive on the floor.

Your AVR uses top spec Audyssey Mult EQ XT32, which is a pretty powerful tool. If you try this method, I'd try placing both of the left hand subs up high on that ledge, and then let the room eq adjust for the two groups (the ground level fronts, and the raised subs), so that Audyssey can adjust the phase, level, and distance settings for the groups based off of similar placement.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Your AVR uses top spec Audyssey Mult EQ XT32, which is a pretty powerful tool. If you try this method, I'd try placing both of the left hand subs up high on that ledge, and then let the room eq adjust for the two groups (the ground level fronts, and the raised subs), so that Audyssey can adjust the phase, level, and distance settings for the groups based off of similar placement.

Wow, that's an interesting thought....Put both left-hand subs on the ceiling to create a more uniform placement pattern and let the AVR do the math. ....

And thanks for the replies, guys. cool.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page