Should I feel bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My neighbor asked for my advice after he received a quote from a custom installer regarding a surround sound setup and whole house audio. Ignoring everything but the sub for the purposes of this thread.

The installer wanted to charge him $375 for a Polk PSW 111 sub. My neighbor has a wide open floor plan with quite a bit of cubic feet to fill. I told home no way and recommended either the Energy s10.3 if he could deal with a bigger sub or the Emotiva X-Ref 10 (this was back in July when it was on sale for $399) if he wanted to stay small.

So, he took forever to decide, and finally, without asking me, went to order the X-Ref 10 but it was not on the website anymore (not sure why, discontinued?). He just went ahead and ordered the X-Ref 12 instead. If I had known he was willing to pay that much I would definitely have recommended the SVS SB12. I don't know him that well and I am hesitant to tell him to return it and order the SVS. Since he is not really interested in ultra low bass, he will probably love the Xref 12 even with its poor sub 30 Hz output.

At least his main speakers, Polk RC80i, play down to 50 Hz or so, so the upper end roll off of the Xref shouldn't be an issue.

I guess I will get a chance to hear the Xref 12....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 496
These subs perform very similarly above 30 hz, so it isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure your neighbor wouldn't notice the difference between them, and since they are both nice subs, who cares.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Amen.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page