sub for aktimate mini+ monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have aktimate mini+ monitors and am looking to add a sub. Im am looking to spend $400-500 but will stretch a fair bit (maybe up to a grand if the sub is phenomenal and you can convince me its worth going broke for lol)

At the moment I am leaning towards a wharfedale diamond 9 SW-150 (400bucks).
But am also considering the AS8 and krk 10s (500 odd each).

Its a smallish room and I want it pretty much just for music. I listen to a huge variety of stuff classic rock (acdc, slade, black Sabbath) to alternative stuff (some other stuff: System of a down, queens of the stoneage, muse, florence and the machine etc etc) etc etc but I am guessing it will be most beneficial for my guilty pleasure (cough *dubstep*cough).

You're gunna hate me for this, but I kinda want both that punch (shake the air out of my lungs) and tight quality bass as well. Obviously I have to compromise, but not sure which one I would prefer to compromise lol. (Note I would also like if the bass has a cutoff so that the aktimates wouldnt play the lower frequencies but im not sure if thats a different matter.)

any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Where are you located? My guess is not in the US.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 24 Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Good guess. lol. Yeah, im based in Australia. Figure the quality of the subs shouldnt change much, and can get (as far as I can tell) most here, though not all.

So have you tried any of those subs?
post #4 of 24 Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

The other one I was considering was a velodyne EQ max 8 or 10 ($600 and 860 Aussie dollars respectively which is about the same as the US dollar atm)
post #5 of 24 Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowponyStuart View Post

So have you tried any of those subs?

The music I know very well -- because that's what I listen to -- but those particular subs unfortunately I don't have much experience with.

Can you get the SVS SB12-NSD? That's a tremendous little subwoofer. What about Sonique? They're an Australia company, aren't they? Maybe they have something that would satisfy your requirements.

post #6 of 24 Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I dont mind the look of the SVS SB12-NSD. Seems like a good sub, though stretching my budget a bit. I like the high pass through for the speakers but apparently there is a small issue with some amplifier noise. As I live alone in a quite area, I will often have little noise to drown out any of the background hiss that some people say can be a problem (not I am getting most of this from the AVforum review {http://www.avforums.com/review/SVS-SB12-NSD-Subwoofer-Review.html})
post #7 of 24 Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The hiss may have come from the reviewers amplifier, or his electrical power. I've read a lot about that SB12-NSD, and don't recall seeing that said before.

post #8 of 24 Old 09-27-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

That might be true too. Atm I am considering the VFT-1 MK2 (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html ) or VFT-1 MK2 (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html)

Have you had any experience with these, I hear they are very good for the price range.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Atm I am considering the VFT-1 MK2 (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html ) or VFT-1 MK2 (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html). Have you had any experience with these, I hear they are very good for the price range.

I haven't had any personal experience with either of those, but there are a ton of people who own them. Rarely do you hear anything negative about either one.

post #10 of 24 Old 09-29-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The sb12nsd doesn't have any noise floor issues. I own two of them and they are left on all the time with no issues
post #11 of 24 Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Hey mate,
I have had good listening sessions with the mini's and the sunfire sds10.
Seriously a good combination
post #12 of 24 Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM

and since your an australian, maybe take a look into subsonic subwoofers.
Seriously good subwoofers at a very modest price.
The xs3 will comfortably blend in with your akimaes at the price you want + free shipping
http://www.audiotrends.com.au/shop.php?searchWord=subsonic+subwoofers&search_submit.x=0&search_submit.y=0
post #13 of 24 Old 10-01-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngaudiolover View Post

and since your an australian, maybe take a look into subsonic subwoofers.
Seriously good subwoofers at a very modest price.
The xs3 will comfortably blend in with your akimaes at the price you want + free shipping
http://www.audiotrends.com.au/shop.php?searchWord=subsonic+subwoofers&search_submit.x=0&search_submit.y=0

Haven't heard of the subsonics. At the moment I have a Wharfdale SW150, while its okay it seems pretty sloppy and not particularly tight. Thinking of taking it back and getting something else.

Im thinking of splurging (going broke lol) and getting either the SVS PB-12 NSD or SVS SB-12 NSD

Any experience with these??

http://www.deephzaudio.com/SVS%20Australia%20price%20page.html
post #14 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 AM

Ive heard the pb13 and it seems ok although bottoms out easily in my opinion.
Subsonic is an australian brand and are the best subwoofers available in australia. In the price range.
The subsonic xs2 would kill the sw150 with its freq response, build quality, overall quality and power. youd have to be spending thousands more dollars to be ableto tame the subwoofers.
http://www.audiotrends.com.au/Subsonic_XS_1_Mk2_Black.html?action=viewProduct&itemId=571
Overall that is my favourite subwoofer currently.
I have been a very passionate listener and subsonic just have the bass i want.
The xs1 goes LOOOOOOOOW, and is power is REAL. uses a 420va toroidal transformer so therefore there is much more control in the driver therefore tight bass.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The music I know very well -- because that's what I listen to -- but those particular subs unfortunately I don't have much experience with.
Can you get the SVS SB12-NSD? That's a tremendous little subwoofer. What about Sonique? They're an Australia company, aren't they? Maybe they have something that would satisfy your requirements.
Sonique subwoofers are known for their musicality. the thunderbox 1200 se is certainly good but the xs1 still kills it in overall performance and is so much cheaper
post #16 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngaudiolover View Post

Sonique subwoofers are known for their musicality. the thunderbox 1200 se is certainly good but the xs1 still kills it in overall performance and is so much cheaper

Argh, cant find much in the way of good reviews for either the subsonics or sonique. It is looking like the subsonic is the best bet,

there is a thunderbox here for $385AUD (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130775474695#ht_601wt_754)
{Whats your thoughts on buying used subs? That one looks a bit beaten up,,,}

I am liking the look of the Subsonics, though XS-2 is pushing my budget and while I can afford to get the MS-1 if I really want too, it would have to be ridiculously good to spend that much on it (as my girlfriend will kill me shortly after buying it for pushing the holiday I promised her back a month or so)

Just how good are they? I cant find much in the way of other 3rd party independent reviews and stuff (not that I dont trust you, I just like to research this sort of stuff a lot before I bite the bullet. Plus subs can sometimes just hit a persons sweet spot even if most people dont like it lol)

Also what connections do they have (cant even find that info lol) Do the have a low frequency cut off so I can run RCA cables from my sound card to the sub then RCA cables from the sub to the speakers and cut of the lower frequencies so the speakers dont have to play them as well?
post #17 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Also came across these
http://www.adelaidespeakers.com/subwoofers.html

Thoughts on these. They seem pretty decent, the frequency reponses get looow in the $800+ range.
They seem more designed to be strong musically...which is what I am looking for really.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thoughts on these. They seem pretty decent, the frequency reponses get looow in the $800+ range. They seem more designed to be strong musically...which is what I am looking for really.

Most manufacturers specifications shouldn't be taken literally, because they have a tendency to "enhance" them, but in this case I'd be even more leery.

On the website they're saying the subs are TL's, but I've never seen a TL anywhere near that small so I have my doubts about it. I also noticed that the 1220TTL supposedly has 'usable output below 20 Hertz', which doesn't seem all that likely from a single 12" driver. They may be good subs, I can't say for sure, but I'd be cautious about taking their proclamations too seriously. Caveat emptor...

post #19 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Most manufacturers specifications shouldn't be taken literally, because they have a tendency to "enhance" them, but in this case I'd be even more leery.
On the website they're saying the subs are TL's, but I've never seen a TL anywhere near that small so I have my doubts about it. I also noticed that the 1220TTL supposedly has 'usable output below 20 Hertz', which doesn't seem all that likely from a single 12" driver. They may be good subs, I can't say for sure, but I'd be cautious about taking their proclamations too seriously. Caveat emptor...

Yeah, good point. So back to the Subsonics. So just how much better are they then my Wharfdale SW150. (I need a little push to drop the cash lol. Especially since I cant find much in the way of reviews)
Im thinking XS-2...maybe XS-1 but I probably dont need that. Is it worth the extra 300bucks over the XS-1?
post #20 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM

They will absolutely destroy the wharfedale subwoofer.
the subsonic xs2 has a freq response of 25-150 hz
the wharfedale cuts of at 32
the xs1 drops to 22
the xs3 drops to 29
the xs1 weights 34 kgs
the xs2 is 150 watts @ 4 ohms
the xs1 is 250 watts @4 ohms
the ML series of subsonic arent in production anymore.

In my opinion, the xs2 or xs3 would be your best bet.
The xs2 its self would be overkill with your aktimates.
Ive auditioned all these subwoofers and theyre all great subwoofers. The xs3 its self drops ridiciously low for something with 2 6.5" drivers. Just try and get them from audio trends as the xs3 are only available at audio trends due to the end of the production line.
http://www.springwoodhifi.com.au/product.asp?id=83&pid=95 for a review from springwood hi fi.
The old designer of richter acoustics is the owner of subsonic.
Now the difference between the freq response of the subsonic subs and other subs is that mos of the other subs in that price range drop to 25 or so but thats +- 6db.
The xs1 xs2 xs3 are all +- 3 db.
So therefore the lower notes are heard (and also felt).
the xs1 also has a large magnet, it has 2 ferrite rings in it for a better magnetic field thus the reason its so efficiant.
The subwoofer really performs in the low 30s and 20s.
And i dont think ive ever heard it distort (im a dubstep fan myself)

You will hear every deep bass note in your dubstep music.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Okay you have pretty much sold me. Just 2 more questions.

What connections does it have? RCA? Does it have a fitler pass through to cut the low end from the sound before it hits my speakers.

If I decide to splurge and go the XS1, could this actually be detrimental to my sound...or just overkill?
post #22 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Also what connections do they have (cant even find that info lol) Do the have a low frequency cut off so I can run RCA cables from my sound card to the sub then RCA cables from the sub to the speakers and cut of the lower frequencies so the speakers dont have to play them as well?

The connections Are RCA Inputs and outputs.
Also uses high level inputs and outputs.
Has Power switch
Crossover Bypass Switch
Phase switch
Auto switch
110 v and 240 volt conversion switch
Massive heatsink

The driver is an air dried Pulp Paper cone.
Dual front firing Ports.
Really really heavy.
Solid build
Australias best $1200 subwoofer
Australias best $900 subwoofer
Dont know how the xs3 compares to some. The xs3 does go lower than mos dual 6.5 subs
post #23 of 24 Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Okay you have pretty much sold me. Just 2 more questions.
What connections does it have? RCA? Does it have a fitler pass through to cut the low end from the sound before it hits my speakers.
If I decide to splurge and go the XS1, could this actually be detrimental to my sound...or just overkill?
Im sure the aktimates are set to a low end then cut off?
The xs1 would probably be over kill. But if you want to get it then by all means (im getting 2 xs1's or 2 xs2's)

Im not sure if it actually filters the frequencies before they go into the aktimates (although ive never heard of a sub that can do that)
But the aktimates should be able to handle what evers being thrown at them.
The xs1 is BIG and POWERFUL sounds like a 500 watt subwoofer.

You will love the subsonic subwoofers, I did. I wasnt a believer at first until i auditioned them.
The old designer or richter acoustics is the owner of subsonic.
post #24 of 24 Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 PM

One more thing,
The xs2 would fit your needs better A smaller 10 inch driver that drops to 25 hz +- 3db (you usually dont see this in subs under a grand). But if you want deeeep, quality potent bass grab the xs1 i 10000000000000% assure you will never look back.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page