Help needed with sub placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've currently got my (2) subs sitting on top of a built-in entertainment unit like so (excuse the crudity of the drawing, it was done on ms paint cool.gif):

and they sound good... At low to moderate volumes. As soon as the bass gets loud or constant the whole entertainment unit (and everything on and in it) vibrates like mad. The problem is I don't have many options for placement as this room also contains a pool table and multiple entrances and exits. So either side of the front speakers are out of the question due to doors, and the area in between the couch and entertainment unit is a walk through area. Also the cupboards underneath the subs have shelves that aren't removable (plus opening them will block the front speakers) and the area behind the couch is where the pool table is.

The only option I can think of is to put one on each side of the couch, however I don't know how well this will sound. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Do you have - or have you tried placing - rubber pads/mats between the subs and the cabinet in order to isolate the former and prevent vibration in the latter?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW View Post

I've currently got my (2) subs sitting on top of a built-in entertainment unit like so (excuse the crudity of the drawing, it was done on ms paint cool.gif):

and they sound good... At low to moderate volumes. As soon as the bass gets loud or constant the whole entertainment unit (and everything on and in it) vibrates like mad. The problem is I don't have many options for placement as this room also contains a pool table and multiple entrances and exits. So either side of the front speakers are out of the question due to doors, and the area in between the couch and entertainment unit is a walk through area. Also the cupboards underneath the subs have shelves that aren't removable (plus opening them will block the front speakers) and the area behind the couch is where the pool table is.
The only option I can think of is to put one on each side of the couch, however I don't know how well this will sound. Is this a good idea?
Thanks for any help.

This may sound overly simplistic, get a new entertainment credenza. If the characterization of your setup is reasonably accurate, buy a smaller credenza and place the subs on the floor. Just saying, if one can buy new speakers, one can buy new furniture. Can you place the main speakers on the entertainment center and the subwoofers on the floor?

I just saw your comment about the unit being built in, that would make my above rather dumb advice. That being stated (my advice being dumb) can you remove the doors and place the subs in the enclosure cabinets? Is there any hope of getting a contractor in, having the cabinets removed and redesign the space to serve your home theater entertainment needs? Not a clue what your real world situation is but you should be able to get all work done for <$2,000.00. That would include having the cabinets removed, any sheetrock repair effected and the entertainment wall painted as needed. The cost of an additional entertainment center would be additional.

As to your shelves not being removable, a well placed Sawzall blade will remedy that problem. Make a choice, sound quality, speaker placement or a stupid shelf between you and the possibilities. The tears will dry but the possibilities will go on forever. biggrin.gif

455a33a8-01d5-49a7-8e78-107a3fe459e3_300.jpg

I'm doing work on the house as I post. Currently we're having our gas plumbing changed so when the time comes for the tanked water heater to be replaced, gas lines that can supply a tankless water heater will have already been installed and we'll be able to use the cost of the tank replacement towards the upgrade to a tankless water heater system.

As to costs, the upgrade is being done in three financial steps. On Thursday, the propane regulators are going be upgraded. When the income tax return comes in, the gas pipelines will be upgraded and some household plumbing changes will be made. And the third step will be the actual replacement of the tanked water heater. Three distinct steps, three distinct prices, one distinct goal; upgrading to a more efficient tankless water heater system. The point, you can do the same with your situation; remove the cabinets yourself, add an appropriate sized entertainment credenza and later, repair and paint the sheet rock. Sometimes, going backwards is the road to the future.

Hope the above helps give you some ideas.

-
post #4 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Do you have - or have you tried placing - rubber pads/mats between the subs and the cabinet in order to isolate the former and prevent vibration in the latter?
I have some fairly thin (1") rubber mats underneath them and they haven't really helped at loud volumes. I could buy a couple of subdudes which I'm guessing will work much better, but if relocation solves the problem I may as well save the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

This may sound overly simplistic, get a new entertainment credenza. If the characterization of your setup is reasonably accurate, buy a smaller credenza and place the subs on the floor. Just saying, if one can buy new speakers, one can buy new furniture.
It's built-in unfortunately. It came with the house and is connected to both the wall and floor.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Please reread my original comments as I've totally edited my comments which address your above thoughts.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page