Sub Cable Through Walls... RG6 or RG59 or other? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm running sub cable through the walls in a new construction. I talked to Monoprice and they recommended "High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video)". My local audio guys use RG59. I decided to order the Monoprice recommended cable. I'm just wondering if I need to change course... your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Both will work. Quad shield RG6 will just be better at reducing interference. Just make sure it is real copper conductor and not copper clad. The longer the run the more susceptible the wire is to picking up noise.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Both will work. Quad shield RG6 will just be better at reducing interference. Just make sure it is real copper conductor and not copper clad. The longer the run the more susceptible the wire is to picking up noise.

Thanks! The type I purchased for the subwoofer is all copper... according to the product description, " 99.999% pure oxygen-free copper conductor" and "This cable allows jitter-free transfer of digital audio signals. The low-loss cable design includes a pure copper center conductor and shielding to preserve signal strength and minimize noise. Gold-plated RCA connectors and pins provide solid corrosion-free contact." However, it's only double shielded, "High-density double shielding for maximum rejection of EMI and RFI"... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2684&seq=1&format=2#description So, how important is quad versus double shielded?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page