Can't hear a difference between HSU VTF2 and Def Tech SuperCube Reference sub. Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as the title says I have a HSU VTF-MK3 and just purchased a Definitive Technology SuperCube Reference and I cannot here a different.....

HSU specs

Def tech specs

With considerable more power in the def tech and the perfect 5 star reviews I thought it would knock my socks off. I am hoping my setup is incorrect or something.

I have a pioneer SC-25 receiver, sub is hooked up with LFE. All knobs on the Def tech sub are dialed up all the way letting the receiver control all crossover. I also had the receiver go through the audio setup etc.

My fronts are PSB T5 towers and matching center.

I am expecting my chest to rattle with this thing. Do I have too many bass traps? But how can the HSU keep up? The clip I was listening to over and over is the Iron Man 1 when he is giving the Jerico rocket demo.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
The DefTech should be a somewhat better sub with higher limits, but that's no guarantee that it will necessarily sound any better at whatever given output you happen to be using. They might sound very similar when playing at similar levels. The HSU is no slouch of a sub, but it should reach it's output limit before the DefTech does. The thing about DefTech is that they seriously exaggerate there specs. They really BS about frequency response and I also believe that they tend to overestimate the power of their amps. The bottom line is that it probably is not all that much better than the HSU except for greater output capability
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 AM

Liked: 25
The other thing is that your receiver isn't doing much of anything to the sub since Pioneers don't EQ the lowest end of things. I've owned a VTF HO and a Reference and found the Reference to be better but not by a huge margin. How loud are you listening? You would probably have to push both subs before you could really hear a difference.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Can you return it? I would just keep the cheaper sub. Maybe you like the look of one better? You should really take a measurement of the response to make sure they are equal and then compare.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
As stated above, Deftech is known to pad their frequency response specs. That said, it could be you room too. Can you post a sketch of your room, including dimensions, where you sit, where your sub is placed, etc. There are too many variables to say what the issue is. I would start with something simple like the subwoofer crawl to determine if you have the sub optimally placed. You could also be sitting in a null spot. As MKTheater mentioned measurements will be far more telling.

I would expect more from the Deftech also, but it may just not meet your needs. Do you mind posting what you paid? There may be alternate subs we can recommend for the same price or even cheaper.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
With considerable more power in the def tech ...
HSU VTF-2 MK4
- power: 250W RMS, 1000W peak
- extension (according to owner's manual): 18Hz @ -2dB (ported), 25Hz @ -2dB (sealed)
- 20-1/2 (h) x 15" (w) x 22" (d)

DefTech SuperCube Reference
- power: 1800 "mystery" watts
- extension: 11Hz @ -??dB (-10? -20?)
- 16-15/16" (h) x 16-3/4" x 16-3/4" (d)

Considerably more peak power, maybe - assuming that figure isn't "fudged". The 11Hz extension rating is amusing. smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtrom View Post

I have a pioneer SC-25 receiver, sub is hooked up with LFE. All knobs on the Def tech sub are dialed up all the way letting the receiver control all crossover. I also had the receiver go through the audio setup etc.
My fronts are PSB T5 towers and matching center.
I am expecting my chest to rattle with this thing. Do I have too many bass traps? But how can the HSU keep up? The clip I was listening to over and over is the Iron Man 1 when he is giving the Jerico rocket demo.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
When you say "All knobs are dialed all the way up" the variable phase knob on the Reference would be at 180 out, it should be at 0 all the way to the left especially if the sub is up front with your mains. The Reference is a very capable performer and perhaps doing a manual setup at first as far as distance, level and crossover is concerned might help you better.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page