Subwoofer hits floor...what to do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have posted this thread in the audio theory forum and have been getting some good ideas. Figured maybe I could get more on this forum. My setup is in my basement finished with carpet over cement. My subwoofer at times hits the floor; if I use a flashlight I can see it hit, then it makes a popping sound. It is mostly during movies with DTS HD MSTR and DolbyTrueHD etc. I was thinking about raising it off the floor but cannot find much of anything that would support the sub and keep it from slide around. Maybe putting it on a flat surface like a granite block or maple wood. I found these: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AS18X15-CL but they are a little out of my price range. These supports I don't think would be safe to put the sub on: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ISOBLOCK1-ST.

Anyone have any ideas on what could work well and are affordable? So far some members have suggested some wood blocks and some hockey pucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 548
It's way too close to the floor if the driver hits the carpet. However, are you sure it's really hitting the carpet? What model subwoofer is it?
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 519
If that is a subwoofer you bought somewhere, you need to return it. Any down-firing sub without the clearance for the driver's excursion is a hilariously bad design, and I am willing to bet the bad design decisions don't stop there if they made that elemental of a mistake. I can't believe the woofer is still in good shape if it has been pounding the floor, so you ought to just get rid of the sub at this point. If only the surround has just been touching the floor, then maybe it is still OK, but I would get rid of the sub anyway, as I doubt the excursion clearance is that sub's only design flaw.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Is it possible that new spikes or feet would raise it high enough to ensure proper clearance? If so, check out Parts Express for some options.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If that is a subwoofer you bought somewhere, you need to return it. Any down-firing sub without the clearance for the driver's excursion is a hilariously bad design, and I am willing to bet the bad design decisions don't stop there if they made that elemental of a mistake. I can't believe the woofer is still in good shape if it has been pounding the floor, so you ought to just get rid of the sub at this point. If only the surround has just been touching the floor, then maybe it is still OK, but I would get rid of the sub anyway, as I doubt the excursion clearance is that sub's only design flaw.

Oh no, it has not been doing it repeatedly. It has happened twice, both times I immediately turned it off. The guys in the other thread are pretty sure it is overexcercusion and some of the settings in the receiver need some tweaking.

Thank you for the help!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcalderon View Post

Oh no, it has not been doing it repeatedly. It has happened twice, both times I immediately turned it off. The guys in the other thread are pretty sure it is overexcercusion and some of the settings in the receiver need some tweaking.
Thank you for the help!
have you set bass limiter? or the crossover correctly?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What Kind of sub is it?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Try some non-slip sorbothane feet, added clearance, more grip.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMSIBA

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page