Any value in adding a tactile transducer with a high-end sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is anyone here using a tactile transducer (such as Buttkicker LFE) with a high-end sub like Submersive or Cap? Do you think it will add a lot of value? My primary usage is movies.

I will soon have a JTR Captivator S2 and wondering if it makes sense to add a transducer to the mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Liked: 17
Absolutely! I love my buttkickers in my chairs when augmented with my two MFW15's! You also have the added benefit of being able to turn down the subs at night when required by others in the household! I have yet to have someone NOT like the buttkickers once experiencing them!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I removed my Clark shakers and sold them off once I got enough sub woofage (3-18's and a DTS-10). I just think the shake provided by the subs is much more lifelike and realistic, shakes the whole room..
post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

I removed my Clark shakers and sold them off once I got enough sub woofage (3-18's and a DTS-10). I just think the shake provided by the subs is much more lifelike and realistic, shakes the whole room..
This depends ENTIRELY on the room... or, more specifically, the floor of the room. If the floor is a concrete slab floor, no subwoofer will shake it. If the floor is a suspended floor, (wooden joists and subfloor/floor above), any good subwoofer will provide tactile response. logicators, please describe the room/floor/seating you are contemplating for this system.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick responses.

I have wooden floor with a carpet and my current subs certainly shake or vibrate the sectional I use. In some bass heavy scenes one can fell plenty of vibration across the room which is fun. My mains are def tech 2000tls with 15" ported subs built in to them and the current sub is an Epik legend (s2 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow!).

Since S2 is a lot more powerful than the Legend, based on your responses, it seems like it should increase the shaking anyway and I will not need additional transducers.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 10
Like comicguy said above, it's good for low volume use, but honestly I only ever use mine when I'm sim-race gaming, because it gives excellent road "feedback". Don't see much point beyond that if you have a good sub.

Denon AVR-3310ci
Front: B&W 685
Center: B&W HTM61
Surround: B&W M1
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G10
post #7 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Depends on what you mean by "good sub." Mine are flat to 15 and my BK LFE added a TON of effect down low. That famous Hulk punches Abomination scene? I can now experience that low single digit response. Before, I could only read about it.

If you have subs that can get loud enough at those frequencies for you to feel it, more power to you. The majority of posters in this enthusiast forum don't even have that. Alternately, as was posted above, if you have a suspended wooden floor, your requirements to get that type of tactile feel are much, much lower. I know firsthand because my brother has such a room. I don't.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Depends on what you mean by "good sub." Mine are flat to 15 and my BK LFE added a TON of effect down low. That famous Hulk punches Abomination scene? I can now experience that low single digit response. Before, I could only read about it.
If you have subs that can get loud enough at those frequencies for you to feel it, more power to you. The majority of posters in this enthusiast forum don't even have that. Alternately, as was posted above, if you have a suspended wooden floor, your requirements to get that type of tactile feel are much, much lower. I know firsthand because my brother has such a room. I don't.

Same here. I run 3 PB13s and a 12/2 Ultra in a fully enclosed 12x17.5 room and my dual BKs attached to my mini riser which my couch sits on add a sensation and that single digit response that my subs simply cant. I am on a carpet over concrete floor though, so that has something to do with it. Craig's post above is spot on. wink.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It seems like I found my answer.

The S2 arrived last evening. For those of you that doesn't know about it: its sealed with dual 18" drivers and a 7k+ watts short term / 4k+ watts RMS amp. It does have significant output down to 10 Hz and lower.

After quick setup I tried Flight of Phoenix plane crash scene and at -15 db I had more tactile effects and bass than I could handle!

I will calibrate a bit more and take measurements.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page