Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys.

I'll try to make this short.

Right now I live in a dorm room with my desktop PC and these speakers. (same speakers just two different links in case one didnt work)

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-GigaWorks-T40-Series-II-2.0/M/B001S14DYO.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-BasXPort-Technolgy/dp/B001S14DYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349577958&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+gigaworks+t40+series+ii

I would like to integrate a subwoofer into my sound system as my preferred genre of music is very bass heavy. (Dubstep, house, hip hop... etc.)

So far I think what I need is a powered subwoofer. (Excuse my noobishness). I was thinking 8 inch should probably do the trick..

What I need is some recommendations on something that would work for what I want. (Links would be greatly appreciated)

Also, if you could explain exactly how I would need to hook this up to my existing speakers and computer.

Thank you very much. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
This should work:
- Split the audio from your sound card using a 1/8" stereo splitter (male to dual female).
- Connect one branch to your desktop speakers using the 1/8" stereo-to-stereo cable (male to male) that comes with them.
- Connect the other branch to your subwoofers L+R inputs using a 1/8" stereo-to-RCA splitter (male stereo to L+R RCA).

Use the sub's gain, crossover and phase controls to blend the sub with your desktop speakers.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

and this should work with any powered subwoofer?

i was under the impression that i ran a cord from my pc to the sub and then from the sub to the speakers.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
It should work with any powered sub whose crossover control acts as a low-pass filter on the speaker-level inputs - that is to say, it will allow the sub to play everything up to the "crossover" point (which is actually a narrow range, rather than a fixed point), and nothing above it.

In your scenario:
- You sent the full range of signal to the speakers and the full range of signal to the sub.
- You use the sub's crossover control to blend the sub with the speakers by raising it until it overlaps smoothly with the point where your speakers low-frequency extension tapers off.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 65
between those 2? I'd get the second one, the 10 incher... but only if those were my only 2 options. There are certainly much better subs out there, but staying close to the $100 mark, and being small.... I don't have any real experience with any better within those criteria.

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Really, between these 3: small size, cheap price, and good performance... pick the 2 most important , and be willing to compromise on the third.

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

and that 10 incher will be able to connect to my computer and speakers with the method eljaycanuk mentioned above. (sorry i really dont know much about this)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

And I am open to any other suggestions, cheaper than 150 would be nice. those are just the first 2 i found.