Best musical subwoofer under $500 shipped? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Preferably under $400 shipped, but $500 shipped is my hard maximum "stretch" budget zone.

This will be for 80% music (classical, jazz, and alternative), 20% home theater. So I'm most interested in articulation and sound quality to fill in the bass areas my bookshelf speakers may lack (I'm getting Paradigm Studio 10s most likely). Obviously deep extension would be great too, but not as important. Also, I don't really care if it can't do super loud blasting rumbling bass, because that's not what I want it for.

This is for a fairly small room. I haven't measured it but the room is probably about 10x20x8 feet.

What's the best option here? Let me know if there are any other details about my listening style that I should provide.

Currently I'm looking at this but I'm not sure if there are better options in the price range: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Preferably under $400 shipped, but $500 shipped is my hard maximum "stretch" budget zone.
This will be for 80% music (classical, jazz, and alternative), 20% home theater. So I'm most interested in articulation and sound quality to fill in the bass areas my bookshelf speakers may lack (I'm getting Paradigm Studio 10s most likely). Obviously deep extension would be great too, but not as important. Also, I don't really care if it can't do super loud blasting rumbling bass, because that's not what I want it for.
This is for a fairly small room. I haven't measured it but the room is probably about 10x20x8 feet.
What's the best option here? Let me know if there are any other details about my listening style that I should provide.
Currently I'm looking at this but I'm not sure if there are better options in the price range: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

If it were my decision I would spring for the VTF-1 MK2. Its flexibility is worth the extra money, all in my humble opinion.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Epik is selling the Legend at 499 right now, Granted shipping would take it over 500 but IMO its hard to beat at the price. I use mine for 90% music and love it. Use it in a 2.1 with some Energy RC-10s
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Epik is selling the Legend at 499 right now, Granted shipping would take it over 500 but IMO its hard to beat at the price. I use mine for 90% music and love it. Use it in a 2.1 with some Energy RC-10s

As much as I like the Legend it lacks the flexibility (Q Control & Hybrid Tuning) of the HSU VTF -1 MK2.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately all of these suggestions exceed my absolute hard max of $500 total shipped cost (preference is $400 max shipped).

Anyway, I already ordered the HSU STF-2 yesterday; it should arrive soon along with the rest of my speaker system. Still, these are good suggestions if I want to upgrade later! I really appreciate the replies.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 10
I expect you'll be happy with the STF-2 and it is well within your budget. Do realize though that you said your hard cap was $500 and the first response you got from spyboy was the VTF-1 MK2 which is $449 + 45 for $494 to your door. At the top of your range but within it and a very nice sub. Something to keep in mind if you decide you want more after you get the STF-2 with Hsu's return policy.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, very good point. The reason that doesn't work though is I'm in california, and with the new state tax laws the total would come to $537. It's not that $37 is a stretch -- it's not. It's that $400 is my true max budget, with stretch room to reach out maybe to $500 max, but even that is quite a stretch.

I'll definitely keep the suggestions in mind though -- as you said, HSU's return policy would allow me to try something else if this isn't satisfactory.

Quick question though: In what ways are the VTF-1 MK2 superior? Is it just stronger, or is it more crisp and better controlled too?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Liked: 10
Well the STF-2 is basically a one dimensional sub, ported. If you like it, fabulous, and I expect that you will. If you want to change it's sounds to fit your preferences, you have no real options. The VTF adds the ported or sealed options and the Q control. You can really tweak the sound of the sub for more output or to go lower with the ports open or closed and the Q control allows you to control the tightness of the bass. In your situtation, I think you probably went the right route and got the STF-2 to start and stay within your budget. If you can't tweak it by placement and audyssey settings to get to where you're happy, and then still feel like spending another $150, you have that option.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Do you know if the STF-2 is tuned more towards articulation, extension, or power? I'm most interested in articulation and extension much more so than power. Or is it something that depends entirely on your room?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Suggestion: Post your question in the Official HSU owners/support thread and get a reply from dr_hsu himself. He frequents that forum and can provide the most accurate information regarding the STF-2. smile.gif
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, you could skip the upgraditis hassles and get the VTF-1 MK 2. The flexibility (Q Control and Hybrid Tuning) put it in a different league from the STF-2. You have 30 days to return the ST-F2, and Dr. Hsu will work with you to make the upgrade as easy as possible.