Need to Replace Old Velodyne Sub--Recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to replace my old sub, a Velodyne F1200. It finally gave up the ghost and I don't want to get it fixed.

Reading all the posts here, I'm getting a bit of "buyer paralysis" from the great choices and opinions. So I'm wondering if anyone could make some recommendations for new subs that I should consider based on my requirements.

- Room is about 3100-3300 cubic feet. It's a downstairs family room that pretty open to hallways.

- Use is 60% music, 35% movies/TV and 5% gaming. Music is the key use.

- Budget is $500-$2000

- System for music and HT is 5.1. The regular speakers are all Joseph Audio RM7si Signature II's.

- Would prefer a sub under 100 pounds.

- Sub has to fit inside a cabinet. Max height for the sub is 25"; max width is 18".

- Do not need booming, "shake-the-house-or-the-neighboorhood-down" bass (and the WAF wink.gif ). Just don't want muddy bass. Want good, accurate sound.

- This is probably a noob wish. Would strongly prefer a sub with a remote. If I'm listening to music late at night or watching a TV or movie and the wife goes to bed early, need to be able to control or turn off the volume of the sub easily. Don't really want to go beyond the cabinets every night and morning to do this.

TIA for any recommendations. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
RSL Speedwoofer, Def Tech 8000, Velodyne DD-12 on Audiogon for $1,150.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! smile.gif

Any quick comments on the strengths/weaknesses of each?
post #4 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

Thanks! smile.gif
Any quick comments on the strengths/weaknesses of each?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

RSL Speedwoofer, Def Tech 8000, Velodyne DD-12 on Audiogon for $1,150.

The Speedwoofer suffers from port noise below 40Hz (not supposed to be audible) except on test tones.

"Results for the SC 8000 were a bit unusual. The output of most large subs in the 40-50, 63Hz measurement points is usually dictated by the internal limiter. But with the SC8000 I bumped against the limiter only at 50Hz. At 63Hz I heard what sounded like a mechanical buzz, (the driver hitting the fabric, maybe?) Limited the max useful output. Also I encountered a weird noise that sounded somewhat like the speaker driver bottoming out, although it could have been a noise from one of the passive radiators, too. like. seems to me the limiter should clamp down on the amp before the drivers are stressed to this point. Anyway, the SC 8000 averaged 117.6 db in the low bass (40-63Hz) and 106.4db in the ultra-low bass (20-31.5Hz). Those are respectable numbers - especially the ultra-low bass number, which is just 11.2db below the low bass number."

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-definitive-technology-studiomonitor-sm65-and-sm45-speakers-supercube-8000-subwoo?page=0,2

So, I would opt for the DD-12.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU again. Much appreciated. smile.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

I need to replace my old sub, a Velodyne F1200. It finally gave up the ghost and I don't want to get it fixed.
Reading all the posts here, I'm getting a bit of "buyer paralysis" from the great choices and opinions. So I'm wondering if anyone could make some recommendations for new subs that I should consider based on my requirements.
- Room is about 3100-3300 cubic feet. It's a downstairs family room that pretty open to hallways.
That’s a pretty large room. Did your old F1200 satisfy your needs? Was it adequate, or are you looking to upgrade at all?

Quote:

- Use is 60% music, 35% movies/TV and 5% gaming. Music is the key use.
- Budget is $500-$2000
Lot’s you can work with on that budget.

Quote:

- System for music and HT is 5.1. The regular speakers are all Joseph Audio RM7si Signature II's.
- Would prefer a sub under 100 pounds.
Why does this matter at all? If you are going to place it in a predetermined position and leave it as is, then why would the weight matter? In addition, if you had a remote, you would have hardly any reason to ever move it. Just thought I’d ask.

Quote:

- Sub has to fit inside a cabinet. Max height for the sub is 25"; max width is 18".
Depth is important. What is the depth we are working with?

Quote:

- Do not need booming, "shake-the-house-or-the-neighboorhood-down" bass (and the WAF wink.gif ).
Wait, so is WAF important? It’s going “fit inside a cabinet,” correct?

Quote:

Just don't want muddy bass. Want good, accurate sound.
- This is probably a noob wish. Would strongly prefer a sub with a remote. If I'm listening to music late at night or watching a TV or movie and the wife goes to bed early, need to be able to control or turn off the volume of the sub easily. Don't really want to go beyond the cabinets every night and morning to do this.
TIA for any recommendations. smile.gif
FYI. The Velodyne SMS-1 will allow you to control your sub level remotely. Regardless of what sub you choose the SMS-1 can be a stand alone unit to control your volume and EQ. Very very convenient and I use it every time I’m in my theater watching movies or music.

I’m assuming you are not even the least bit interested in going DIY? I just priced out a few things and you could get a killer sub (some assembly required) meeting all of your specified requirements a comparable price of the subs spyboy mentioned above with greater performance. Plus you would have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself. I didn’t really think that would matter that much to me, but it definitely increases my pride of ownership.

What you gain performance, you will most likely lose in the fit/finish arena. It's a trade-off some are willing to make.

I don’t want to waste your time, so let me know if you’re interested.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

That’s a pretty large room. Did your old F1200 satisfy your needs? Was it adequate, or are you looking to upgrade at all?
Lot’s you can work with on that budget.
Why does this matter at all? If you are going to place it in a predetermined position and leave it as is, then why would the weight matter? In addition, if you had a remote, you would have hardly any reason to ever move it. Just thought I’d ask.
Depth is important. What is the depth we are working with?
Wait, so is WAF important? It’s going “fit inside a cabinet,” correct?
FYI. The Velodyne SMS-1 will allow you to control your sub level remotely. Regardless of what sub you choose the SMS-1 can be a stand alone unit to control your volume and EQ. Very very convenient and I use it every time I’m in my theater watching movies or music.
I’m assuming you are not even the least bit interested in going DIY? I just priced out a few things and you could get a killer sub (some assembly required) meeting all of your specified requirements for roughly the same price of the subs spyboy mentioned above ($1,100) with greater performance. Plus you would have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself. I didn’t really think that would matter that much to me, but it definitely increases my pride of ownership.
What you gain performance, you will most likely lose in the fit/finish arena. It's a trade-off some are willing to make.
I don’t want to waste your time, so let me know if you’re interested.

The Velodyne SMS-1 is holding at $499 these days. With the $1,100 Velodyne DD-12 the SMS-1 is built-in. Excellent fit and finish. DIY is always an option, but it's not for everyone. Seems like Velodyne has been pretty good to you.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

The Velodyne SMS-1 is holding at $499 these days. With the $1,100 Velodyne DD-12 the SMS-1 is built-in. Excellent fit and finish. DIY is always an option, but it's not for everyone. Seems like Velodyne has been pretty good to you.

Yeah, I noticed that today. I was able to scoop mine up for (IIRC) $369 a few months back. I think it’s pretty great for those of us just getting into the DIY scene, especially if one does not have an XT-32 equipped AVR. I’m planning on getting the MiniDSP in the longrun, but the SMS-1 has served me well thus far.

The OP sounds like he’s pretty good at holding on to his equipment for awhile, so maybe the built in solution would better suit his needs. I think the standalone unit would suit others that cycled through subs more frequently.

Now, when you say the SMS-1 is built into the DD-12, does that include the remote control capabilities that the standalone unit provides?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page