Need help with Sub options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys, I have a 36x12 room I need to outfit. The setup is basically in the last 12x12 portion of the room facing the ending wall. It's basically just a long main floor of a townhouse. Everything I have read says I should be stepping up to at least a 12" but I am curious if I could use a 10" being the sub will be right beside me? The other thing is that I live in Canada so I don't have quite as many options available to me. I do have access to staff discounts at Best Buy as well as Future Shop (links provided to Subwoofer lists). Is there anything on there that you guys think I should consider? It's hard to properly audition them in the stores being they are all in unfavorable spots but I was leaning towards to the SUB-12. However, I did find a use S10.2 I could probably pick up for $150. My budget is about $300 and my usage will be roughly 60% HT/TV viewing, 10% music, 30% gaming. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreim769 View Post

Hey Guys, I have a 36x12 room I need to outfit. The setup is basically in the last 12x12 portion of the room facing the ending wall. It's basically just a long main floor of a townhouse. Everything I have read says I should be stepping up to at least a 12" but I am curious if I could use a 10" being the sub will be right beside me? The other thing is that I live in Canada so I don't have quite as many options available to me. I do have access to staff discounts at Best Buy as well as Future Shop (links provided to Subwoofer lists). Is there anything on there that you guys think I should consider? It's hard to properly audition them in the stores being they are all in unfavorable spots but I was leaning towards to the SUB-12. However, I did find a use S10.2 I could probably pick up for $150. My budget is about $300 and my usage will be roughly 60% HT/TV viewing, 10% music, 30% gaming. Any help is appreciated.

Keep in mind that when you plan, you have to plan for the total volume of the space. If that 12x12 space is not sealed, you need to plan for 36x12. If you have 8' ceilings we are talking 3456 cubic square feet. If you have 9' ceilings then it is 3888 cubic square feet. I would go with the biggest baddest sub you can afford now, and then potentially plan on adding a matching second one down the road. If you are handy at all DIY could be an interesting option. Also consider nearfield placement as that will help too. But make no mistake, that is a big space to fill....
Mreim769 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ah shoot, that is what I was afraid of. Yeah, it's not sealed so 3888 cubic feet is going to be what I need to plan for.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Yeah, my room is 23' X 11' X 7.5' sealed and I have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs and I love them, BUT I wouldn't want anything less than that for my preferences. I would think you want a minimum of 1 big size high powered 12" or 15" sub or 2 medium sized and medium powered 12" subs.

Shawn
post #5 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I was leaning towards a dual sub setup to help with the space. My only problem is that I have neighbors on either side.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
My suggestion is talk to your neighbors about it and find out when is an ok time for you to play them louder. And then when watching movies, listening to music, or playing games at other times when they want it quiet you will just have to turn your subs down.

But the problem is you said your budget is $300. You won't find a pair of worthy subs for $300. I'm honestly thinking you should be looking in the $500 to $700 class for each sub. You could always start with 1 sub and then add another identical sub down the road as money permits.
Mreim769 likes this.

Shawn
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page