Northeast October 20th GTG Results thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 234 Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 677
I think Mark's correction is more accurate as to how loud the mains were playing.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 234 Old 10-26-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Archaea, get it in gear man!! I was reading your impressions and just when it was time for the heavy hitters..... to be continued.....

Arrrghhh.

I'm kidding man, I know what it's like to have 2 young kids. I am mostly looking forward to your impressions of the 5400's and the Noesis speakers since I've very aware of what the Submersives and Captivators can do. Carry on. Too bad the Caps got screwed in the low end, but oh well things happen at GTG's. I'm surprised that Jeff isn't freaking out about it. Oh... wait...

post #123 of 234 Old 10-26-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Archaea, get it in gear man!!
+1 but it worths the wait for his comments/opinions.
post #124 of 234 Old 10-26-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Archaea, get it in gear man!! I was reading your impressions and just when it was time for the heavy hitters..... to be continued.....

Arrrghhh.

I know right! tongue.gif

I'm going to a meet tomorrow in Omaha and I've not even finished my notes from this meet.

Suffice to say the JTR Neosis speakers are as awesome as the other JTR products! Without comparing them side by side I thought they sounded pretty similar to how I remember Triple 12s and Triple 8s sounding. Everything sounds like you are there listening to live instrumentals in the club, or hall, or stadium. That isn't to say the new horn tweeter design isn't better, --- just that by memory and several months of time passing between the last time I heard a pair of JTR speakers, I couldn't pick up a huge difference in sound signature between the horn and the coax tweeters. Some guys would probably tell me that's sacrilegious. My only rebuff is that I've heard JTR equipment in several different rooms, and in each room the equipment sounds a bit different --- depending on the room - yet they have one quality that is apparent in all auditions. That is the clear live audio sound! What's more --- I know they can absolutely scream! We witnessed that first hand!!!! --- just like the Triple 8's and Triple 12s, and I'd personally be glad to own a set of JTR speakers of any sort!

The LMS-5400 were very impressive too, but I wish we could have heard them with a bit more powerful amp --- assuming they could handle it. I felt they were lacking dynamics in the movie section --- likely due to Amp limitations --- but I really liked them for the music portion. This is now the second time I've heard the LMS-5400 drivers. Once in Wisconsin at too low of volumes, and now here at too high of volumes. They are fantastic drivers that ooze quality by both look and sound. Expensive -- but do drivers really get much better? There is a reason that they command the price they do, and that they are so well known. Something like the UXL18 is significantly cheaper with similar specs, but has yet to be proven in the long haul like the TC sounds LMS-5400 offering. I sure do wish I could hear 8 of those drivers in a system like notnyt. I personally can't rationally justify spending $10-12K in subwoofers given my salary and standard of living (nor could my wife!) --- well lets face it ---- probably not just not now but likely never will... wink.gif But man that would be something to behold!

post #125 of 234 Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Cool, thanks for the quick summary. I was going to call you to see what your opinion was but I figured it would be better if you just posted so everyone could see it. I was hoping you were going to go on and on about how much better the Noesis are but I guess I'm glad you didn't since I that would plant the dreaded seed of upgraditis. If they are somewhat similar to the triple 8's then even though I would like them more than my speakers I couldn't justify the cost.

Shouldn't you be getting your new speakers sometime soon (assuming that is still on)?

post #126 of 234 Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I know right! tongue.gif
I'm going to a meet tomorrow in Omaha and I've not even finished my notes from this meet.

Something like the UXL18 is significantly cheaper with similar specs, but has yet to be proven in the long haul like the TC sounds LMS-5400 offering. I sure do wish I could hear 8 of those drivers in a system like notnyt. I personally can't rationally justify spending $10-12K in subwoofers given my salary and standard of living (nor could my wife!) --- well lets face it ---- probably not just not now but likely never will... wink.gif But man that would be something to behold!

I can't believe you didn't try to pick on me again. Will be fun to see what you think tomorrow in the limited time we have.

I would hope you KC guys can throw together a tour this winter or the spring, would like to see grants, carps, etc....

I saw Josh and Mark's earlier posts now about the volume...I wondered when we would get that sorted out.

-Greg

post #127 of 234 Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Here is the LMS at max excursion when it is not amp limited. (This is 1 channel of an iTech-8000 @ 1ohm @ -15db from clipping). That is the sound of my drywall flexing BTW wink.gif
As you can see, the LMS gives almost no warning that it is at xmech. The iTech can bottom it in less than 1 millisecond; and if you look closely, you can see the double ring of dents in the metal from it doing exactly that biggrin.gif

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #128 of 234 Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

off-topic, but why would you use VLC on an HTPC? I didn't think it could even do DTS-HD Master Audio.

We did not use VLC for any media playback (except a few cd's at the end).
post #129 of 234 Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

We did not use VLC for any media playback (except a few cd's at the end).

Gotcha

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #130 of 234 Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Woah that amps infrasonics sound really awful. eek.gif Never heard those sub make that sound before.
It's really difficult to see via video in general because of the black cones, but I'd guess that is 80-85% output, which is more than an EP4K can do.
( As you probably know. It's the inward stroke of the LMS you have to be concerned with, doesn't matter how far it moves outward.)

So... was the surround dippling at all? It's really hard to tell in the video, but I don't see any trace of any, which tells me it's still in the safe-zone at around 80-85%.

Hearing protection, for a pair of LMS's? come on its not THAT loud, you guys are killing me tongue.gif
My system has two 21's, an LMS, four Dayton Pro 18's and a pair of 15's; and I'm still wanting at least another 3 18's more redface.gif
If it were quad LMS's... then I could maybe understand people reaching for their ears.

post #131 of 234 Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
please keep in mind that part of that is the horrid mic on my camera

as for the loudness besides popalock i was prob sitting the 2nd closest, they only thing that started to bother me when we hit +ref was the shattering glass in some of the movie clips, it was brutal, clean and accurate but brutal. i was pulling my plugs in and out during all the later tests. mids to lows were fine but the glass /shudder

was about 2.5 hours into the drive home when i felt things were back to normal hearing wise, pressure just felt different

post #132 of 234 Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounded like the voice coil on popalock's sub was scraping the side of the magnet right at the very end of the sweep, which I actually find more disturbing than the sounds of the amp-clip and mic-clip noises. What ever was causing that particular noise, it sounds like death.

and for the record, there is nothing that will kill a voicecoil/speaker faster than sending it a signal from an amp in clip -> High-Voltage DC Square-Wave eek.gif

post #133 of 234 Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I will most likely come back to add more, however, for now I can say that the capabilities of some of these subs was just scary. The bags of ear plugs attest to that biggrin.gif
Andrew (Gorilla) could not have been more gracious, helpful, and upbeat! Not to mention all the help I received from other gracious people not the least of whom was Ben, helping get my music selection played at the last minute.
I don't know what to say about Mark Seaton that hasn't already been said.
I couldn't stay for the entire event, maybe it was the flu shot i got on Saturday morning.
I am not surprised that my SV 20-39PCi left people underwhelmed, but in my small office it does well enough.
I've read so much about the Submersive, (among others), the clarity and pitch definition were impressive and my thanks to Mark Seaton who went out of his way to play the music I brought.

To follow up I wish to say that the enthusiasm generated by this event spurred my to set-up (2 subs that had been sitting in boxes, those being the SVS 20-39PCi and the HSU MBM-12). Now I am using dual HSU VTF-3HO's Plus Turbos (sure they are ugly), but with 600 watts RMS each plus the XBL^2 drivers, they are good to below 16Hz; Now I am running 3 deep-bass subs plus the HSU MBM-12. All ported. With all 4 subs running the bass levels are nearly overwhelming, but some day I would like to have something from Mr. Seaton. smile.gif
post #134 of 234 Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

To follow up I wish to say that the enthusiasm generated by this event spurred my to set-up (2 subs that had been sitting in boxes, those being the SVS 20-39PCi and the HSU MBM-12). Now I am using dual HSU VTF-3HO's Plus Turbos (sure they are ugly), but with 600 watts RMS each plus the XBL^2 drivers, they are good to below 16Hz; Now I am running 3 deep-bass subs plus the HSU MBM-12. All ported. With all 4 subs running the bass levels are nearly overwhelming, but some day I would like to have something from Mr. Seaton. smile.gif

I ran dual HSU 3.3's with MBM-12's a few years ago. They have nice sharp SQ to them.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #135 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well dang. I live here in Delaware County and just found out about this with the recent website email update.
I've got an SVS PB-13 Ultra I could have added to the lot. Also have a pair of Legacy Focus SE's.

Subscribed

Mike

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #136 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Mike - Man you couldn't be any closer. I live in Garnet Valley as well. mad.gif When we get power back you will have to swing by sometime and say hi. biggrin.gif

post #137 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Mike - Man you couldn't be any closer. I live in Garnet Valley as well. mad.gif When we get power back you will have to swing by sometime and say hi. biggrin.gif

We never lost power for any length of time over here by the farmers market. Yes I'll have to check you out. Let me know.. I'll show you my setup too.

post #138 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 27
Been reading through the thread and all the comments from the event. Sounds like everything went great. I'd love to come to one some time.
post #139 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm looking t upgrade my speakers "perhaps"? I currently run a HK PA220 with 100 watts per channel (with a HK preamp/tuner) into a pair of JBL L-7's and was considering looking into a pair of Polk Audio RTi A9's but then I ran into this site and speakers I never heard of before, so after much reading here my brain was tilting towards the ARX A5's. Of course without hearing them would be an issue but wondering what you all think. I listen to mostly Classic Rock, Blues, and smooth jazz on either CD's or vinyl, and I run movies through system but obviously no surround sound nor do I plan on getting into that world. I only use a Panasonic Blue Ray player model DMP-BDT210 for both movies and music.

OR would it be better to just keep the speakers I have and change my amp situation to use the HK PA2200 to run the big bass speaker and buy a Yaqin MC-100B tube amp with 65 watts per channel that got high reviews and run the mids and highs with that amp (or the Yaqin MC-10L with 52 watts per channel). Then later when the JBLS get longer in the tooth to get one of the two speakers mentioned. I will say this, the JBL's are so strong in the bass I never considered getting a subwoofer, I have had sonic noise effects in movies that scared my wife when the walls and floors shook! But the high frequency response on the JBL's seem a bit harsh for my taste, maybe the tube amp would take care of that?

I bought that HK and JBL stuff at Circuit City back in the early 90's and after listening to a bunch of speakers and receivers/amps I liked the power of the amp and the sound of the JBL's the best of the lot.

I hope none of the stuff I mentioned sounded too weird for you guys! I know you guys are heads and tails above anything I'm into or own, but I was hoping to get some feedback?

Thanks
post #140 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post

I hope none of the stuff I mentioned sounded too weird for you guys! I know you guys are heads and tails above anything I'm into or own, but I was hoping to get some feedback?
Thanks

Funny.... I have a set of Bose 901 Series I's im my living room. Not great sounding but I can beat them up pretty good with no worries. I did a cap upgrade to the EQ. Helped alot.

post #141 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Liked: 19
Well, this is pretty late but since the gtg things have been real hectic. And the hurricane didn't make things any less so. Hopefully everyone else who was in the path of Sandy is doing all right.

This was my first gtg and it was a whole lotta fun. Can't wait to do something like this again. Met a bunch of great guys (even that hillbilly - you know who you are - hey, Mark Cuban says hi), listened to some loud music and movies and had some tasty beverages (not to mention that awesome pulled pork). And props to Andrew for hosting the event, allowing us into his home and being the gracious host.

Since so many have already posted their findings on the event, this may not offer much of anything ground breaking. But it is another perspective on what was heard nonetheless. (And my apologies if I offend anyone with my opinion on a sub they brought.)

First of all, it was not exactly home field advantage for the single subs. The listening area was a pretty good size and as stated in the gtg thread by Andrew, the room is bass hungry. That being said, most of the single 15 inch subs auditioned would be more than adequate if using two of each or in rooms smaller.

HSU ULS-15

I was very interested to hear this one as it was a contender for my dollar when I was last purchasing an ID sub. However, it was a little disappointing. The reason being the statement in the previous paragraph (room size). Sure, it didn't have that room filling, shake the walls hit but in hindsight, that is not surprising. The other being it was not a tight as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it was not muddy or boomy. It simply wasn't as tight in some of the music as I was expecting it to be. This is not an across the board statement as, for some of the clips, I do have in my notes "clean" and "articulate."

PSA XS15

Another sub I was really looking forward to hearing. My thoughts (for music) were "impressive, clean" has authority and is articulate. For movies it did surprising well with sub 20hz content. Did a nice job with the "Pulse" clip and even though for this sub I was seated a bit back in the room felt it in my chest during the "Hulk" clip. Suspect two of these in this room would be quite impressive. Add in the price factor and PSA has a real winner here.

Rythmik E15

I'll try not to turn this into another apology to Rythmik post (but I make no promises). My opinion is certainly not biased at all tongue.gif but I felt this was the cleanest sub with music and did the best blending in with the mains.
With movies there are two issues - user error regarding setup as well as lack of cranking the volume up. If you look at the graphs in post 8 and see that big dip at 70hz, that is not typical of this sub. In fact, that was a result of trying to use the subs built in PEQ without sufficient time to do so and lack of experience using it. That dip certainly had an impact (or lack thereof) during playback. However, even with all that, until we got to the bigger boys on the block (which were also duals or more - looking at you Mark Seaton) this one shook the projector the most - again, until we got to the bigger subs at the event. Come on, it took dual Caps to dislodge the PJ for cryin out load.
But this is another sub that would do quite well to fill that room and shake the paint off the walls when a second one is added.

SVS 20-39Pci

The "issues" encountered during this demo are well documented earlier (that 23 hz filter, low volume playback). However, this one left me with a sense of unrealized potential. I would really like to hear this one again but next time "unchained."

Rythmik FV15HP

Very much impressed with the ported Rythmik. Only going back to back can you tell the difference with the sealed Rythmik (with music the sealed is a bit tighter, cleaner). However, when unleashed and cranked up, it was very impressive with the movie clips. (Dstew was not afraid to turn it up and this sub did not disappoint - go back and look at the video clip to see the tp flapping in the breeze and of us giggling like loons.) It is very tough not to keep comparing to the sealed Rythmik instead of to the rest of the subs heard that day. Suffice to say, anyone who values their music listening but who also wants impact for movies will be happy with this sub. For me, my preference is for the sealed sub and the more accurate reproduction for music. So, as always, it comes down to personal preferences.

Dual DIY LMS 5400 Ultra

At this point I think everyone agrees that Popalock is nutz (but in a good way). Most people think they're hard core because they turn it to 11. Well, Popalock turns it to 12 and then rips the knob off. And then wants more subs, amps, speakers and volume.
I'm finding it hard to write constructive thoughts on this setup due to the (well documented) clipping that was occurring. Don't get me wrong, this is a very impressive build. But I want to hear it again when we have proper amplification to do justice to the driver and build (still can't get over how quickly one of these was rebuilt and what a great job was done on it). Even with the clipping, this was still impressive. It was pretty accurate and went plenty low. This setup is just screaming (sometimes literally) for a healthy set of amplification ballz to realize its potential.

JTR Passive Captivators and (3) Seaton Submersives - 2X Submersive HP and 1x Submersive F2

I'm lumping these two (ok 8) together. There is ample discussion of these subs all over the interwebz and here at AVS. These subs are on a whole 'nother level compared to all the other subs here (except the LMS's bridge the gap - and may fit in this "class" with the right amp). Let's face it, we're talking about single 15" drivers versus two 18" or six 15" inch rigs. Hardly comparable. Not to mention that Mark cheated. Look at that setup - EIGHT drivers. No wonder the JTR's cracked the foundation and the Seaton's moved it two inches to the left.

My thoughts are probably going to buck the trend. I felt the JTR was cleaner on the music section than the Seaton setup. I was in the back of the room during these subs demo's and the discussion was whether or not the Subm's should have been that close to the wall (given the driver being so close) and if this was having an impact of making it sound less articulate ("muddy" would be a bit harsh here but you get the idea). So, it may sound backwards but comparing these two, it seemed to me (and a couple others) that the ported JTR was a cleaner, more articulate, accurate sub. Are we splitting hairs here? Probably. But that's what we do isn't it?
When it came to the movie clips, WOW! First off, the JTR dislodged the projector, what, twice. And for good measure knocked down a bass trap. The Subm/F2 was no slouch either. It took a day for my internal organs to reconstitute themselves back from being liquified.
Let's face it, anyone would be more than happy with subs from either company. They are truly impressive and anyone with any interest in bass must listen to them.
Archaea likes this.
post #142 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Liked: 24
Achaea
when u gonna finish your review for the big boy subs???? J/K take your time
post #143 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Achaea

Did you ever see any of his other GTG write ups? They make War And Peace look like a pamphlet! He's probably still constructing it. tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #144 of 234 Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Funny.... I have a set of Bose 901 Series I's im my living room. Not great sounding but I can beat them up pretty good with no worries. I did a cap upgrade to the EQ. Helped alot.

Those 901's was one of the other speakers I seriously considered at the time I got the L7's but they didn't have the dynamic bass I was looking for unless I purchased a subwoofer which I couldn't see the point in spending the money to do since the L7's could without a subwoofer.. But man what the 901's could do with Jimi Hendrix and other guitar stuff was out of this world. The other speaker I was looking at was the Infinity Kappa 9's a friend of mine had but I declined them because the speakers were made of that semi clear poly stuff which was the same stuff I saw that would get brittle with age and crack...about 6 years after I got the L7's my friend's speakers one of the drivers cracked! Plus they used foam surrounds which only last 15 to 20 years. I thought the Infiniti's sounded a tad better than the L7's especially on softer music but I was glad I didn't get them. Some of my minor problems with the L7's is I simply don't have the space to place them like the instructions say to do, so I have them about 1 foot from the rear wall and 2 feet from the side walls and slightly tilted inward to the listening area, and the side firing bass speakers facing outward instead of in towards each other otherwise the bass wave will slam into the stereo cabinet which makes the disk player jump!
post #145 of 234 Old 11-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 10
philly burbs here....like to attend one of these!
post #146 of 234 Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Well dang. I live here in Delaware County and just found out about this with the recent website email update.
I've got an SVS PB-13 Ultra I could have added to the lot. Also have a pair of Legacy Focus SE's.
Subscribed

Mike
===============if ya ever want to sell those legacy's!
post #147 of 234 Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Achaea

Done...I apologize for the late finish.
Post 9 holds my subjective comments.

I am still hoping we will see more writeups added, because we had a lot of people attend and I only see a handful of reviews respectively. A big part of the fun at these things is seeing what people thought!

post #148 of 234 Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 384
^ x2 on more feedback and impressions! We had over 25 attendees but only a handful of impressions so far. tongue.gif

post #149 of 234 Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I am still hoping we will see more writeups added, because we had a lot of people attend and I only see a handful of reviews respectively. A big part of the fun at these things is seeing what people thought!

Nice review, Archaea...I always enjoy reading your thoughts mate!.

Wish there was something like this here in Australia!!!.

Cheers,
post #150 of 234 Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Quote:

Nice review, Archaea...I always enjoy reading your thoughts mate!.

Wish there was something like this here in Australia!!!.

Cheers,

Thanks!

As far as a meet in Australia --- have you considered hosting one?

There are no enthusiasts listed in Australia yet. Want to be the first? wink.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354149/the-ill-demo-my-subwoofer-for-other-enthusiasts-thread/0_20

You can try to begin to promote interest in a meet by creating a gauging interest thread, and signing up in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1367811/subwoofer-shootout-subwoofer-roundup-url-lists/0_20

Before I hosted the 2011 meet I was really striking out on hearing anything. I posted multiple threads asking if there was anyone in the KC area that would be willing to audition their subs, I sent PMs to area enthusiasts who had subs I desired to hear and I'd not get a reply. After I created the 2011 subwoofer meet interest thread I finally started getting some traction to actually hear some equipment --- and better yet --- in my own room since I was hosting the meet! I'd encourage others to do the same who find themselves in a similar situation.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page