sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

The vast majority of threads on this forum are folks who are not in the budget to buy a Seaton sub and are recommended many options.
It should also be noted that an estimated 99.9% of posters recommend/stick up for subwoofers they own, regardless of what it is. Has been and will always be like that, just as the sub forum will always be the most volatile at AVS.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

It should also be noted that an estimated 99.9% of posters recommend/stick up for subwoofers they own, regardless of what it is. Has been and will always be like that, just as the sub forum will always be the most volatile at AVS.

Very true. I know when people ask for recommendations in the $1000 range I am pretty quick to recommend an Hsu VTF-15H. It is what I own and what I know. That said, I will tell you I was an eD owner and was very quick to start steering people away once the issues started popping up and I myself had a very poor customer service experience. If the same thing happened to me with Hsu, I would do not have any loyalty to the company and would speak up.
post #123 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

True, but if the poster has owned a few different subs I think their opinion carries more weight.
post #124 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I've owned and used 25 subwoofers in the past 6 years. MTX, Dayton kit 15", Hsu's w/MBM's, MFW-15's, ED 450's, Conquest, Empires, VMPS Larger subs, and finally settled on 3 Submersives. I was always looking for that just right bass SQ but it had to have some sophistocation to it. I got what I was looking for in the Submersive. Lot of bucks spent on this hobby, but what the hell. Being retired now what else can be so much fun then a HT hobby.
post #125 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

True, but if the poster has owned a few different subs I think their opinion carries more weight.

It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't make their opinion infallible either. As I mentioned earlier: I don't put a lot of stock into some of these gtgs. I mean, anyone who is playing music at moderately high levels with the subs running 8db hot clearly doesn't share my values, and that's ok! We all get to toss in our 2 cents and enjoy what we like.
post #126 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

1) It's not a secret who makes the drivers. Spend a little time with Google and I'm pretty sure even you can figure out who makes them. However, they're custom made for him so knowing who makes them isn't particularly useful information. Further, who cares what they look like? Is it more important how they perform or how they look?
2) The Submersive is sold with either a 1kW or 2.4kW amplifier. What are you talking about 2kW going to 2.4kW?
3) Who told you the amp is the least expensive component? I'd wager it's the most expensive component in the Submersive.

Transparency and clarity trump persuassion. Send a sub to someone respected like Ricci. What's the big deal? One shouldn't have to Google and guess. There's something not right with this scheme. You're right about the 2.4k amp.
post #127 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I don't own a Seaton subwoofer, would like to, but don't own one and I find your statements rather childish. The vast majority of threads on this forum are folks who are not in the budget to buy a Seaton sub and are recommended many options. Sure when someone says they are are looking for reference quality bass that will play clean and also very low (teens and lower) Seaton gets recommended a ton around here. As it should. Fact is many folks who don't own a Seaton sub and have heard them at the get togethers is proof enough for me. Everyone walks away very impressed. I find the majority of folks around here to be very helpful and Seaton is a great option if you have the budget and room for one. But I just don't see this forum at all as a "Seaton" or bust form. Quite the contrary, for every post about someone looking in the $2-4K range, there are 10 for people looking in the $1K and under range where Seaton just does not play.
Personally, I am really grateful to have talented people like Mark Seaton building subs and contributing to this forum. I don't know him, but have read enough of his posts to see that he is a standup guy and an asset to the forum. No need to get your paints in a bunch.

This thread was about a guys SVS. In regards to being "childish". If you can spot it then you got it or put another way...every time you point a finger at someone, you have 3 pointing back at you.

I'm out of here. I wish you all peace and prosperity.
post #128 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

what is "not right"? why are you using the word "scheme"? that word carries an implication...

did you read what mark posted?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #129 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It should also be noted that an estimated 99.9% of posters recommend/stick up for subwoofers they own, regardless of what it is.

Well would you buy something if you thought it were garbage biggrin.gif

OTOH, while SVS's products appeal to me, if I were a single guy, I'd seriously consider picking up a couple of CHT VS18.1s for 725 a pop along with a beast of an amp or two. Again, that's why I like measurements. I'd have never considered CHT without seeing just how well those puppies measured, regardless of what owners said.
post #130 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Transparency and clarity trump persuassion. Send a sub to someone respected like Ricci. What's the big deal? One shouldn't have to Google and guess. There's something not right with this scheme. You're right about the 2.4k amp.
Do you know who makes SVS's drivers and amps? How about JTR's drivers and amps? What about HSU's drivers and amps?
post #131 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Eminance makes most speakers for the US market.
cellarnoise likes this.
post #132 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

Well would you buy something if you thought it were garbage biggrin.gif
OTOH, while SVS's products appeal to me, if I were a single guy, I'd seriously consider picking up a couple of CHT VS18.1s for 725 a pop along with a beast of an amp or two. Again, that's why I like measurements. I'd have never considered CHT without seeing just how well those puppies measured, regardless of what owners said.

You just keep beating a dead horse, don't you. We all by now know what your opinion is about the Submersive. Those of us that have them made the purchase without using your steller standard. So be it, that is us.
post #133 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

You just keep beating a dead horse, don't you....Those of us that have them made the purchase without using your steller standard. So be it, that is us.

Touchy touchy. rolleyes.gif

Personally, I don't have a big problem taking Mark at his word at the moment, and my response to him was sincere.

Hypothetical situation, and I'd appreciate a shred of honesty: would you touch the aforementioned CHT because I said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread? Or do the measurements performed by Ricci make a whole lot more difference to you?
Quote:

We all by now know what your opinion is about the Submersive.

I don't really have one. I can deduce it has high output capability and can reach low by the nature of the design, and "in the wild" measurements seem to confirm that. Beyond that, I have nothing with which to base an opinion. I do have an opinion (that has softened) about Mark not responding to requests for review samples, but that's a very different thing.
post #134 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

This thread was about a guys SVS.

You must of posted in the wrong thread. This thread started with a video of a sub and someone asking what it was like. LOL

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #135 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:

Hypothetical situation, and I'd appreciate a shred of honesty: would you touch the aforementioned CHT because I said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread? Or do the measurements performed by Ricci make a whole lot more difference to you?
Since you asked for honesty... Neither would convince me to touch the aforementioned CHT with a 10' pole.
post #136 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Touchy touchy. rolleyes.gif
Personally, I don't have a big problem taking Mark at his word at the moment, and my response to him was sincere.
I don't really have one. I can deduce it has high output capability and can reach low by the nature of the design, and "in the wild" measurements seem to confirm that. Beyond that, I have nothing with which to base an opinion. I do have an opinion (that has softened) about Mark not responding to requests for review samples, but that's a very different thing.

Their have been many positive posts on the Submersive as well as chart posts by the variouis owners. One more chart by Ricci would not make any differnece and would be a waste of his time as the Submersive has a proven track record. I didn't buy until the first of this year, so the Submersive had been out for quite awhile (couple of years now). At this point in time your issues about Mark and his product makes you a minority of ONE against a whole lot of people who know who, and what Mark stands for as well as his products. Nuff said and take it some where else.
post #137 of 141 Old 10-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Their have been many positive posts on the Submersive as well as chart posts by the variouis owners.

And if that's good enough for you, great. It isn't for me, and I doubt I'm the only one who is turned off by the lack of actual pro reviews complete with detailed measurements.
Quote:

One more chart by Ricci would not make any differnece and would be a waste of his time as the Submersive has a proven track record.

Yep. Why bother subjecting your product to a detailed battery of ground plane measurements by a competent reviewer when you've got loads of fanboys willing to post various charts showing how many SPLs they can hit under lord only knows what circumstances. rolleyes.gif Heck, Ricci and his ilk should just quit wasting their time.
Quote:

Nuff said and take it some where else.

Report me then rolleyes.gif Heaven help me if I dare question the all powerful Oz.
post #138 of 141 Old 10-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 332
posts deleted
post #139 of 141 Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Gene I'm sure has done good for the AV community, but his favoritism towards advertisers from what I have read (who knows maybe what I read isn't a good representation), but what I did read isn't acceptable, smacks of the usual bike/car/name your favorite gear mag/zine/blog. I don't think that his hiring Josh is a bad thing, better that he have a third party. Josh seems like an okay guy in any case. I also realize without money to buy gear, which would probably influence the process, one would normally require equipment be volunteered for testing. Mark sounds like he'll get there when he gets there, and that's fine with me; he seems to be doing quite fine without the review. I'd still buy one sight unseen and unheard just based on the comments of some of the AVS members. I got my Epik Empire that way and I was not disappointed, and this is a similar design but up a notch, especially the amp (Epik's achilles heel lately) altho with my budget another Empire is more likely as I've spent far too much on a/v stuff in the last two years smile.gif I have another expensive hobby and haven't bought a new toy for that in a long time....and I'm itching to do so.
As to the deleted post, pm me as I don't know what the comment was you're referring to.

I too had the Empire. Quads in fact and the reason I left it was the amps failing. Went thru 2 Empires with bad amps. Traded the Quads off to a friend and he had the other 2 Empire amps fail within a month from getting them from me. I'm a happy boy now with the submersives.
post #140 of 141 Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

And if that's good enough for you, great. It isn't for me, and I doubt I'm the only one who is turned off by the lack of actual pro reviews complete with detailed measurements.
Yep. Why bother subjecting your product to a detailed battery of ground plane measurements by a competent reviewer when you've got loads of fanboys willing to post various charts showing how many SPLs they can hit under lord only knows what circumstances. rolleyes.gif Heck, Ricci and his ilk should just quit wasting their time.
Report me then rolleyes.gif Heaven help me if I dare question the all powerful Oz.

Amen. All they do is talk smack about the Empire and Epik as a company. At least the Empire was tested. They demand outside measurements from other manufacturers but those measurements alone suddenly isn't enough for them. I simply do not understand the hypocrisy in this forum. Love the site. Period. Some of these reputable members?????????confused.gif

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #141 of 141 Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I have another expensive hobby and haven't bought a new toy for that in a long time....and I'm itching to do so.

Please say it isn't photography. tongue.gif That hobby will nickle and dime you like a NY junkie. tongue.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page