Advice 0n Bic Subwoofers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current speaker configuration is a 7.2 setup via Denon Avr 3313. I am running (2) Polks Audio Monitor 10B's as fronts, center is Bic DV-62CLRS, (2) Bic M80's rear, (2) Bic M80's RS, LS with (2) Bic V1020's subs. The reason for the post, is I also have another 5.1 setup via Denon Avr889 and I am going to buy another sub woofer. The question is can I mix a V1020 and a V1220 in the 7.2 setup(how would it sound) or should I just stick with the dual V1020's? It sounds amazing as is but there is not much price difference in the V1020 and the V1220.
Any feedback would be appreciated!
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I would stick with 2 of the same subs. What you could do is make your 5.1 setup a 5.2 setup and buy 2 of the 12" subs for the 7.2 setup and move the 10" subs to the 5.2 setup.

Shawn
post #3 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - The 5.1 setup currently is supplied by a older Denon 889. I think I will take your advice and give it a try. I know they aren't expensive subs, but they perform well for my dedicated theater room which is 11 x16. I have been very impressed with the Bic line of speakers. Thank you!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I would stick with 2 of the same subs. .
What is the reasoning behind that? I would think having two different subs would be better because every sub has it's own frequency response and if you have two identical subs they will simply double their deviations from flat. In other words, let's say a sub has a nasty peak at 110 hz. If you get two of the same sub that peak will be twice as bad. But if you get a different sub it may have a peak somewhere else like 80 hz which may help to minimize the 110 hz peak of the other sub. Also, normally a 12 inch sub is better than a 10 inch from the same manufacturer so if you can get the 12 inch for about the same cost I'd say it's a no brainer.

The only advantage I see to having two identical subs would be duplication of the hardware. In that case, if something malfunctioned you could swap things around to isolate the cause.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

What is the reasoning behind that? I would think having two different subs would be better because every sub has it's own frequency response and if you have two identical subs they will simply double their deviations from flat. In other words, let's say a sub has a nasty peak at 110 hz. If you get two of the same sub that peak will be twice as bad.
If a sub has a nasty peak at 110Hz, or any other frequency, it's defective. Get rid if it.
In any event most subwoofer response issues are related to the room, not the sub, and the best way to address them is by using at least two subs located to smooth the room modes. Using different subs would only add another unpredictable variable.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM

So I should stick with 2 of the same kind for each room or one bic 1020 and one bic 1220 for each room?
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep 2 of the same in each room. 2 - 12" in the HT room and 2 - 10" in the 5.2 setup.

Shawn
post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

What is the reasoning behind that? I would think having two different subs would be better because every sub has it's own frequency response and if you have two identical subs they will simply double their deviations from flat. In other words, let's say a sub has a nasty peak at 110 hz. If you get two of the same sub that peak will be twice as bad. But if you get a different sub it may have a peak somewhere else like 80 hz which may help to minimize the 110 hz peak of the other sub. Also, normally a 12 inch sub is better than a 10 inch from the same manufacturer so if you can get the 12 inch for about the same cost I'd say it's a no brainer.
The only advantage I see to having two identical subs would be duplication of the hardware. In that case, if something malfunctioned you could swap things around to isolate the cause.

2 identical subs help even out freq resp issues created by the room itself. When using 2 different types of subs if calibrated properly the weakest one holds back the stronger one. It is almost always recommended to have 2 identical subs. I have dual identical subs and I will stay that way for a very long time.

Shawn
post #9 of 9 Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

If a sub has a nasty peak at 110Hz, or any other frequency, it's defective. Get rid if it..
No sub is perfect. They all have peaks and valleys in their frequency responses.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page