HSU 15" sub and aquariums - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > HSU 15" sub and aquariums
JasonT35's Avatar JasonT35 02:38 PM 10-24-2012
Kind of an odd question, but what the hell.. I ordered a HSU sub and the only place in the room I can put it is within a couple feet of a 50 gallon fish tank. Should I be concerned about the wellbeing of the fish during loud music or movie playback?

I'm thinking I should turn the volume down if I see waves developing in the tank but not sure if the fish are in danger?

vardo's Avatar vardo 03:59 PM 10-24-2012
Don't really know. But this article might make you want to keep the volume at a low listening
level......http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/02/030210075908.htm
JasonT35's Avatar JasonT35 05:48 PM 10-24-2012
Not good. Thanks for the link though
Jimbo2012's Avatar Jimbo2012 07:49 PM 10-25-2012
They'll be fine they are floating/swing in a water column.
johnangelo's Avatar johnangelo 08:43 PM 10-25-2012
I am indeed an noob to the av world but not to fish keeping. In short, sounds or vibrations that travel through air are one thing, but direct vibration through solid matter is an entirely different matter which will affect fish. "Do not tap the glass" at the fish store aquariums are there for a reason. Loud music from my speakers never really bothered my fish....but slam a door in the house and watch them dart.
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 08:47 PM 10-25-2012
This sounds like one of the few legitimate instances where a subwoofer isolation pad would be warranted.
keyboardcat's Avatar keyboardcat 10:45 PM 10-25-2012
careful with the sub by the fish tank. I read a online review along time ago about a guy using big power amps at 400 watts blowing the glass out of his fish tank with two cerwin vega ve15 inch speakers.
Shinyav's Avatar Shinyav 11:25 PM 10-25-2012
I would bet your fine. I hit ~130+ DB in my room doing some extreme testing(cracked ceiling, etc). Fish tanks were fine. 55gallon oceanic(over thick glass) but also some cheaper ones with thin glass 29/128/10. All the tanks are rather old too so the seals are probably not as strong as they were at one point.
I cant find it currently but I read somewhere due to the water it is absorbs almost all the energy stopping the glass from any form of normal vibration that say windows would experience. As for the fish... they didn't seam to mind but i didn't ask them :\
craig john's Avatar craig john 06:23 AM 10-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnangelo View Post

I am indeed an noob to the av world but not to fish keeping. In short, sounds or vibrations that travel through air are one thing, but direct vibration through solid matter is an entirely different matter which will affect fish. "Do not tap the glass" at the fish store aquariums are there for a reason. Loud music from my speakers never really bothered my fish....but slam a door in the house and watch them dart.
Anyone who's watched Finding Nemo knows this! biggrin.gif

Craig
Up
Mobile  Desktop