Axiom Subwoofers Opinions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a set of Axiom speakers that I am having a custom finish applied to. I am thinking of purchasing one of their subs to have a matching custom finish applied. What's the general opinion of the subs they make? I am looking at the ep175 or ep350. Any other sub companies that offer custom finishes?

I am looking to purchase a sub for $500-$1000 for a 12x10 room. This will be for music listening only, no video. I am currently using a bic h-100 in this room and would like to upgrade. I have a nice set up in the living room but not looking to go so large on this project. If the trade off for appearance is to much I may go with an Epik or Rythmik.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by practal View Post

I just purchased a set of Axiom speakers that I am having a custom finish applied to. I am thinking of purchasing one of their subs to have a matching custom finish applied. What's the general opinion of the subs they make? I am looking at the ep175 or ep350. Any other sub companies that offer custom finishes?
I am looking to purchase a sub for $500-$1000 for a 12x10 room. This will be for music listening only, no video. I am currently using a bic h-100 in this room and would like to upgrade. I have a nice set up in the living room but not looking to go so large on this project. If the trade off for appearance is to much I may go with an Epik or Rythmik.

I would expect more bang for the buck with Epik or Ryhtmik. The Axiom subs seem a little overpriced for what you get. I would also look into Hsu, and SVS. The custom Axiom finish would be nice to have, but morse people try to place the subwoofer in the corner of the room.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Not many choices in the $500-1000 that offers a variety of custom options. It really about do you want to pay for performance or looks? What custom finish are you looking for?

If you want performance look at SVS, HSU, Rythmik, and Epik. If you want a nice looking sub but doesn't perform at the same level as the others and is priced much higher go for the Axiom.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

The Rythmik F12 having a 10% off sale.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I've never heard an Axiom sub; however, the few samples I've seen measured indicate poor performance for the money.

Ilkka measured a couple of EP-600s a while back (he had to measure a second sample because the first performed so poorly...the second didn't change things.

Keeping in mind that this was at the time a $1780 subwoofer:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/973-axiom-ep-600-2nd-test.html

versus an at the time $600 SVS
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8151-svs-pb12-nsd-2-a.html

and a $700 at the time Hsu

By the numbers, either of the less costly subs would wipe the floor with the Axiom; I mean, a near $2000 sub that can't deliver 100dB worth of output at 60Hz on up is just downright poor.
Billy p likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-28-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

I've never heard an Axiom sub; however, the few samples I've seen measured indicate poor performance for the money.
Ilkka measured a couple of EP-600s a while back (he had to measure a second sample because the first performed so poorly...the second didn't change things.
Keeping in mind that this was at the time a $1780 subwoofer:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/973-axiom-ep-600-2nd-test.html
versus an at the time $600 SVS
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8151-svs-pb12-nsd-2-a.html
and a $700 at the time Hsu
By the numbers, either of the less costly subs would wipe the floor with the Axiom; I mean, a near $2000 sub that can't deliver 100dB worth of output at 60Hz on up is just downright poor.

The current EP600 is now $1890, but haven't been able to find out if theres been any upgrades since the Ilkka tested it. I think IIkka tested a V2 version of the EP600 and last I read the current V3 was just magnetic grills vs snap in grills.

SVS doesn't hide what they do upgrade wise to each model and version. The current PB12 NSD has much better distortion numbers, DSP, upgraded drivers (custom Peerless XXLS).

By the way I have the EP175 I bought used. Not worth the current asking price IMO, does an ok job as a $250-350 subwoofer but not at the current almost $600 price. I think it performs right there with Mirage S10, Polks 10", Lava 10, EMP 10i.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.. I guess I will be going with the usual all black subwoofer:( This is for a home gym remodel I am just finishing up.

As far as speakers, I was torn between the Axiom in-walls vs a pair of Songbirds mounted on-wall. The Axioms don't even compare but they offer a much cleaner look, which is what I prefer in this room. Even though the Axiom's are not the greatest thing, they will certainly out perform the Onkyo HTIB speakers I have been using for years. I had the Axioms custom painted with a white to match the color of my trim, doors, and window coverings.

It would be nice to have a similar sub but the audio rack and my gym equipment is black so it will fit in. I do have a thing for custom finishes though. The last I knew, I was the only person to own multiple high gloss piano black SubmersiveHPs. I don't mind spending money, I just don't se a point in this small of an application.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
practal:

I recently purchased a B-stock EP400 that was in your price range. I use it in a room far larger than yours in an 'audio only' system that is coupled with 2 M2s on stands and is driven by a 65 W/Ch Yaquin Tube Amp & Denon SACD player. I play only SACDs through it in a 2.1 configuration.

The EP400 with its 500W DSP controlled amp is simply a marvelous unit. It is a fast and articulate sub that excels with music. It will play into the depths for most music except for perhaps the lowest 16Hz note of a pipe organ.. What is most surprising is its stellar output from such a diminutive size

It replaced my wonderful vintage Velodyne F1000 (10") servo-controlled sub that was well known for its fine accuracy & being very musical. This little unit is all that and more. After being initially concerned that the EP400 might not fill my room with sound, my fears were quickly put to rest. I'm more than happy with my purchase - it makes me smile when it ' tickles' my floor & couch in my listening area.

I would think that this little unit would fill your needs nicely by providing robust and clean bass in your room with a small footprint. Plus you can get the finish that you want.

Hope this helps....

TAM
post #9 of 14 Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
I am looking to purchase a sub for $500-$1000 for a 12x10 room. This will be for music listening only, no video.
Rythmik F12 ($874 + shipping)
SVS SB12-NSD ($649, shipped; add $30 for piano black finish)
post #10 of 14 Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

The Rythmik F12 is $787+$57 s/h=$844 shipped.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have this issue with Axiom subwoofer ( EP 400) like wood chamber vibrating at louder volumes. This is placed on Auralex Ampdude to provide isolation from wooden floor.There are no visible cracks or speaker damage
Any suggestions to fix it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfVHm7ZEjwk

Thanks
post #12 of 14 Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dvik:

I have a pair of EP400s that have operated flawlessly for the couple of years that I've owned them. They are fabulous performers for music in my audio only system.

Unfortunately your video has no sound on my computer so I can't help you with what you are hearing.

I strongly suggest that you head over to the Axiom website where 'brand experts' may be able to help:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/

TAM
dvikasmishra likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks ex-labdriver.
I posted it on Axiom forums and uploaded some video of it.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php/topics/405024#Post405024

I also customer support Axiom, hopefully it wouldn't cost to me a furtune.

Thanks again for your advice.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like it is being pushed too hard. If so a larger more capable subwoofer is needed. An 8" woofer in a sealed box can only do so much. Its not capable of output and deep bass as well as being a sealed compact enclosure.

I would find out how much it would cost to ship back to Axiom and have them look over it. If nothing is wrong then I would look toward a much more capable subwoofer. SVS, Rythmik, HSU and Power Sound Audio all make damn fine subwoofers with extreme performance and pricing that would under cut the little Axiom.

You can pick up a pair of SVS SB2000 sealed 500watt 12" subs for the same price of a single EP400. Or a Power Sound Audio XS30 dual opposed 15" for alittle less than a EP400.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page