post #31 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonspicoli View Post

Thank for the recommendation. I got back an offer on the PA-150 sub which seems too good to pass up. That is a legit site to buy from right?

Acoustic Sound Design is where almost everyone buys PA subs from. In fact, if you look up the PA-150 on Amazon, you'll see that Acoustic Sound Design is the vendor.
Quote:

Just one more question that has not been answered in my previous posts. Is the PA-150 subwoofer durable and long lasting. My other sub lasted a while but the amp went out which was a common issue being a cheaper Bash amp. There aren’t a lot of older reviews on this sub so who knows how long these subs last under typical use?

Sorry. I don't know the answer to that. Electronics are often the weak links in many subs. I haven't heard people complaining about bad amps in PA subs, but it's always a risk. For example, Infinity's subs do have a reputation of being amp trouble prone.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Acoustic Sound Design is where almost everyone buys PA subs from. In fact, if you look up the PA-150 on Amazon, you'll see that Acoustic Sound Design is the vendor.
Sorry. I don't know the answer to that. Electronics are often the weak links in many subs. I haven't heard people complaining about bad amps in PA subs, but it's always a risk. For example, Infinity's subs do have a reputation of being amp trouble prone.

Yes, they are also authorized dealer for other products, so they are a legitimate company.

As far as durability, it is hard to say. I do know that the PA-120 has been a pretty popular sub and I have not read of issues or failures. Compared to my Hsu VTF-15H, I would say the PA-150 is not of the same quality, but it is also 1/3 the price. I have had my PA-150 for over 18 months and have not been afraid to push it hard and have had no issues so far.

The warranty states:
Quote:
Warranty: 5 Year Warranty On Woofer, 2 Year On Amplifier

Which seems pretty reasonable to me.
post #33 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought the PA-150 Subwoofer...Great price and hopefully it ships soon. Cant wait to try it out. I have been without bass in my home theater for a couple weeks now and it sucks. I wish I could fix my old sub for a reasonable price so I could throw that one outside and keep the PA-150 rocking the whole house or at least half of the house biggrin.gif

I appreciate all the help from you guys. I am confident that I made the right decision. I was going to originally buy the BIC PL200 but after the countless rave reviews of this 15" sub I couldnt resist plus I never thought I would buy a 15 inch. I will write an Amateur review of the PA-150 when I get it hooked up. Thanks again!
post #34 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Great! Would love to hear your thoughts after you set it up. As an 18' sub owner, I can tell you there's definitely a fun factor to having a really big sub smile.gif

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #35 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Just bought the PA-150 Subwoofer ... I will write an Amateur review of the PA-150 when I get it hooked up.
Congrats on the new sub. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it. smile.gif
Quote:
As an 18' sub owner ...
Dude, you are either really tall, or have a really big sub. biggrin.gif
post #36 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just bought the PA-150 Subwoofer...Great price and hopefully it ships soon. Cant wait to try it out. I have been without bass in my home theater for a couple weeks now and it sucks. I wish I could fix my old sub for a reasonable price so I could throw that one outside and keep the PA-150 rocking the whole house or at least half of the house biggrin.gif
I appreciate all the help from you guys. I am confident that I made the right decision. I was going to originally buy the BIC PL200 but after the countless rave reviews of this 15" sub I couldnt resist plus I never thought I would buy a 15 inch. I will write an Amateur review of the PA-150 when I get it hooked up. Thanks again!

Congrats, look forward to hearing your impressions.
post #37 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Dude, you are either really tall, or have a really big sub. biggrin.gif

LOL

Ooopsss. The single quote does make a difference over the double quotes biggrin.gif

post #38 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

LOL
Ooopsss. The single quote does make a difference over the double quotes biggrin.gif
Shucks.. I was hoping you really had an 18' subwoofer... It is AVS after all smile.gif You might have been able to give MKTheater a run for his money....
post #39 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope. But I do have dual 18" subs. Is that less disappointing? LOL

post #40 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Congratz... hope you like it. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Especially for the price.

post #41 of 46 Old 11-06-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

So I received my Pa-150 Subwoofer last night. First impression was this box is huge and not sure if it would fit through the front door.All kidding aside it had some room to spare and I proceeded to take it out of the box. I was impressed by the packaging and inspected the sub front to back to check for any scratches or dents from shipping but there was nothing. This sub weighs 70-80 pounds approx and it looks like it. Very superior cabinet....You could tell this sub is built to last and comprised of higher quality materials. I am coming from an Anthena Subwoofer which is tiny when compared to this beast. Enough with the looks, now down to how it sounds. I only wish I had a lot of time to play around with it last night.

The little testing I did was with Gone in 60 seconds and some different music channels on Verizon. The sub was 40% turned up and I got to tell you my house was shaking. I had adjusted some of the controls on the receiver. I will have a more detailed write up as I have more time to test it at accurate levels of frequency and LFE. The rumble of the high end sports car's exhaust in the movie was intense to say the least. My wife was in the far bedroom and was complaining…lol She is not into home theater obviously smile.gif Without doing the all proper adjustments with my receiver I have to say this sub rocks. It exceeds my expectations already. The only complaint I will have has been mentioned prior being the low end 20HZ -25 HZ level. It’s not as great as I expected but we are talking about a $400 sub and not a $800 to $1000. Don’t get me wrong it blows my old sub away in every category. It has that loud boom but it is also super clean in low, mid and high ranges. I will have more to write about it in the next day or two when I really get a chance to adjust settings and play with all the different blu ray movies and music I have.
post #42 of 46 Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I received my Pa-150 Subwoofer last night. First impression was this box is huge and not sure if it would fit through the front door.All kidding aside it had some room to spare and I proceeded to take it out of the box. I was impressed by the packaging and inspected the sub front to back to check for any scratches or dents from shipping but there was nothing. This sub weighs 70-80 pounds approx and it looks like it. Very superior cabinet....You could tell this sub is built to last and comprised of higher quality materials. I am coming from an Anthena Subwoofer which is tiny when compared to this beast. Enough with the looks, now down to how it sounds. I only wish I had a lot of time to play around with it last night.
The little testing I did was with Gone in 60 seconds and some different music channels on Verizon. The sub was 40% turned up and I got to tell you my house was shaking. I had adjusted some of the controls on the receiver. I will have a more detailed write up as I have more time to test it at accurate levels of frequency and LFE. The rumble of the high end sports car's exhaust in the movie was intense to say the least. My wife was in the far bedroom and was complaining…lol She is not into home theater obviously smile.gif Without doing the all proper adjustments with my receiver I have to say this sub rocks. It exceeds my expectations already. The only complaint I will have has been mentioned prior being the low end 20HZ -25 HZ level. It’s not as great as I expected but we are talking about a $400 sub and not a $800 to $1000. Don’t get me wrong it blows my old sub away in every category. It has that loud boom but it is also super clean in low, mid and high ranges. I will have more to write about it in the next day or two when I really get a chance to adjust settings and play with all the different blu ray movies and music I have.

Nice, does your receiver have Audyssey? You can also try different placement in the room, for instance corner loading could give you more extension.
post #43 of 46 Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yes my Denon has Audyssey. I was meaning to set it up with the microphone last night but it got late and the room was taken over control by my wife and Breaking Bad. It will definitely help setting up the sub. The good thing is I have double Pane Windows so I can crank it up and my neighbors are a little distance away.
post #44 of 46 Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

So I got some more time last night to really open the sub up and test it with different movies and music. For music I had the Receiver set at 0 DB and the sub up around 5 and it was really nice sounding. It was tight and clean but I feel as i it isnt that punch you in the face effect I was hoping for. I am still very happy with the sound but maybe a was a little optimistc and unrealistic thinking a 20 x 25 room would sound like he inside of my car with a JL Audio 10". Dont get me wrong it was loud and stayed clean even when turned up beyond party levels.

Next I wanted to test a couple different Blu Rays to see how this thing shines.
1.Amazing Spiderman : I watched the entire second half of the movie tweaking the sound as I saw fit. Oh man this thing was rattling my couch. I could feel the movement of the couch on my neck. It was incredible how this under $350 sub was performing. It sounded precise in every detail but gave that punch like you are experiencing the movie in real life. This cooped together with the 3D really made the film more enjoyable than going to the movie theater and Im serious about that.

2.Avengers: I was so impressed the first time I watched this movie I didn’t think the sound could make so much of a difference. This movie has incredible 3D visuals but the sound is just as great. I had the volume at the same level as I had with Amazing Spiderman which was way too much Bass. I ran over to sub instantly to turn down the volume. At 0 DB on receiver and 3 setting on the Sub it was still crazy bass. I was worried this sub was being overworked but I took the cover off to be amazed that it wasn’t even moving al that much. There was a decent amount of air coming out the back but not enough to be alarmed. It was awesome. The beginning scene and the ending fight scene reinforced the idea that for the money this was the best sub on the market I could afford at this time. Boy do I feel great about this purchase.

In conclusion all different kinds of music sound really good with this sub but some tweaking maybe involved to get it where you like it. The place where this sub really shines (no surprise) is movies. It performs like a much more expensive sub and delivers the heart pumping/ house rattling bass you would hope to achieve with a 600-700 sub. It won’t go as low as the higher dollar subs but if you are ok with that you will be pleasantly surprised with this monster.
post #45 of 46 Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

When you are listening to music what is the source of your music? And yes you do have a big room, but you can try experimenting with subwoofer placement using the sub crawl method. Keep in mind as well that the center of the room has a bass null, and this chart is a good reference in terms of placement and expectations:
http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm
post #46 of 46 Old 11-16-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I used a couple different sources from high quality mp3 downloads and also Pandora. I used RCA's to plug the MP3 player into to. I was going to try moving the sub to a couple different spots of the room after the music was not as much as I expected but I was so pleased with the audio from the movies I didnt change anything. I have the sub front firing in the center of he room which probably is part of the reason it wasnt 100% to my liking. Generally is it true that corners of the room are the best placement for subs?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page