Big room...Which Sub to get for best all around? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! New to the forum and been looking around a little. I have a big room 20 x 25 with a 50" Samsung 3D TV and a Denon receiver. I had an Athena sub which I loved but it just went out. I checked the fuse and it was good. I'm pretty sure the amp is done because that's what everyone says goes out on them. I was thinking about repairing but the Bash Amps are around $180 and are unreliable so I figured to go bigger and better. It might be easier to tell you guys what I expect to achieve and then you can tell me if I am crazy or if I can find the right sub.

First off I watch movies, Tv, and listen to music with the stereo. I have an open floor plan where the room is slightly lower than the kitchen but a bartop overlooks the other room so I spend time chillin at the bar and watching the TV. The den room I call it is 20 x 25. The kitchen Im not sure how big but it is connected with steps down. There is a half wall separating it though.

I love watching movies with a lot of action and thrilling expense so I love the big explosions. I also really enjoy listening to music loud throughout the whole house. I love the pounding of a good sub but of course I want a clean sound too. I loved my Athena sub for the sound and it hit pretty good for most applications. I am looking to step up from this sub though. What should i get based on these requirements? 10" vs 12" Brand? Dont want to spend more than $300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 801
Check out Newegg and the Klipsch, 12D-RW.

If you watch Newegg, they have sales on the Klipsch, 12D-RW and they go for $300.00. My researched understanding, this is the best in class at this price-point.

Hope the above helps.
post #3 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

That sub looks nice and got really good reviews. Im just concerned with overall loudness. I want a sub that I need to turn down because it overpowers the room and system. That way when I want to crank it up I still have more in the tank. Is 12 inch 300 RMS enough for that big of a room or should I consider bigger? The only issue I have is I listen to music a lot with he home stereo.
post #4 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonspicoli View Post

That sub looks nice and got really good reviews. Im just concerned with overall loudness. I want a sub that I need to turn down because it overpowers the room and system. That way when I want to crank it up I still have more in the tank. Is 12 inch 300 RMS enough for that big of a room or should I consider bigger? The only issue I have is I listen to music a lot with he home stereo.

You stated you have a budget of no more than $300.00 and that's your limiting factor. It's all about budget as in the case of subwoofers, the sky's the limit.

As suggested, if you're wanting more than the Klipsch, 12D-RW, then you're going have to up your budget. In my opinion, the Klipsch, 12D-RW is the top-dog of the $300.00 price point. IMO, the next valid price point, noticeable sound quality difference, is the $750.00 price point where the recommended SVS, PB12-NSD can be found. My opinion, the SVS, PB12-NSD is the top dog of this price point and then you step up in price to the next level of subs and then pairs of subs.

(I'm guilty of not knowing anything about the $600.00 price point market.)
post #5 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM

I just got a Premer acoustics pa-150 on sale on Amazon with free 2 day shipping for $350. It's a 15" sub and got a highly regarded review (here:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350647/premier-acoustic-pa-150-data-bass-test-results) from someone that obviously knows what they are talking about. I also have a 20 by 24 ft space with cathedral ceilings that also leads into my kitchen and I do not have the sub turned up over 40%. I think it sounds amazing for what it is and would get it again in a minute. It shakes the living room.
post #6 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrasaDeCastor View Post

I just got a Premer acoustics pa-150 on sale on Amazon with free 2 day shipping for $350. It's a 15" sub and got a highly regarded review (here:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350647/premier-acoustic-pa-150-data-bass-test-results) from someone that obviously knows what they are talking about. I also have a 20 by 24 ft space with cathedral ceilings that also leads into my kitchen and I do not have the sub turned up over 40%. I think it sounds amazing for what it is and would get it again in a minute. It shakes the living room.

+1. I would recommend this sub as well. Has tons of midbass and output for a large room.
post #7 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I am having a hard time deciding between BIC PL-200, Klipsch12D-RW and the Premier Acoustic PA-150

The BIC PL-200 is cheapest of the group and throws out 250 RMS and 1000 Peak
The Klipsch 12D-RW is middle cost and throws out 350 RMS and not sure peak?
The Premier Acoustic PA-150 is most expensive out of group but 15" sub with 250 RMS and 1000 Peak

The Klipsh has a ton of wonderful reviews about clearity and great sounding. Wondering how this will transcend into music listening. The 15 sub does sound tempting but why is it rated 100 less RMS than the Klipsch. I have a feeling both will sound great and be plenty loud but for spending $400 by the time Im done I want to be confident that I got the best sub for my uses.
post #8 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

you can't look at the "wattage" in a vacuum and make a decision "which one is better"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 PM

For what it's worth, I was considering the BIC pl-200 also, but after many hours reading, the general consensus was that the PA-150 was far superior and aside from the opinions of many others, the same gentleman that did a glowing in depth review of the PA-150 also did an in depth review of the BIC pl-200 and he did not seem impressed. Again, based on his obvious knowledge of the subject, and the effort and lengths he went through, I'm inclined to take his word for it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350479/bic-acoustech-pl-200-data-bass-test-results

Here is a list of what appears to be all the subs he has reviewed. He has also reviewed a Klipsch but I haven't read that one as I was never considering the Klipsch.

http://www.data-bass.com/systems

It is a lot of work he has done.
post #10 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I am having a hard time deciding between BIC PL-200, Klipsch12D-RW and the Premier Acoustic PA-150
The BIC PL-200 is cheapest of the group and throws out 250 RMS and 1000 Peak
The Klipsch 12D-RW is middle cost and throws out 350 RMS and not sure peak?
The Premier Acoustic PA-150 is most expensive out of group but 15" sub with 250 RMS and 1000 Peak
The Klipsh has a ton of wonderful reviews about clearity and great sounding. Wondering how this will transcend into music listening. The 15 sub does sound tempting but why is it rated 100 less RMS than the Klipsch. I have a feeling both will sound great and be plenty loud but for spending $400 by the time Im done I want to be confident that I got the best sub for my uses.

Out of those 3, I would go with the PA-150

post #11 of 46 Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrasaDeCastor View Post

For what it's worth, I was considering the BIC pl-200 also, but after many hours reading, the general consensus was that the PA-150 was far superior and aside from the opinions of many others, the same gentleman that did a glowing in depth review of the PA-150 also did an in depth review of the BIC pl-200 and he did not seem impressed. Again, based on his obvious knowledge of the subject, and the effort and lengths he went through, I'm inclined to take his word for it.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350479/bic-acoustech-pl-200-data-bass-test-results
Here is a list of what appears to be all the subs he has reviewed. He has also reviewed a Klipsch but I haven't read that one as I was never considering the Klipsch.
It is a lot of work he has done.

For a big room the PA-150 all the way. It would take at least two PL-200's to equal or best the output of one PA-150.
post #12 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well they are all cheap subs. It is not like the review was against a sub like SVS PB12 or HSU VTF-2 or Rythmik FV12. IMO you cant beat one cheap sub with another cheap sub. They all make some sound. A cheap car would take you from point A to B. That may be good enough for the lousy "Third World" type roads in Michigan and in many parts of this country, where the infrastructure is falling apart. But if you want to drive on the "autobahns", you would want to get a better car.
post #13 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I think the pa-150 is the best of the group. I haven't heard any of the subs but it seems all things being equal, a 15" driver will beat a 12" driver every time. I don't know of any other 15" sub that sells for as low as $350.
post #14 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Well they are all cheap subs. It is not like the review was against a sub like SVS PB12 or HSU VTF-2 or Rythmik FV12. IMO you cant beat one cheap sub with another cheap sub. They all make some sound. A cheap car would take you from point A to B. That may be good enough for the lousy "Third World" type roads in Michigan and in many parts of this country, where the infrastructure is falling apart. But if you want to drive on the "autobahns", you would want to get a better car.

Your post makes no sense...

At any rate I own a PA-150 and an Hsu VTF-15H. I have done extensive testing and measuring with both subs and the PA-150 can actually hang pretty well with a $1000K sub in terms of midbass output. Where the PA-150 struggles is with bass below 30hz, and particularly below 20hz where the VTF-15H plays strong. But, to be a realist, most bass for movies/music, etc is not in the sub 30hz range. If the OP can double or triple his budget, then I agree, there are subs out there that have more output and extension, buy clearly this comes with a cost.
post #15 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

A subwoofer is one that excels below 30Hz. No? You cant call something that rolls off sharply below some 35hz as a subwoofer and say that it can hold its ground to a $1000 sub. And try telling to the bass fans that movies do not have content below 30Hz! That is all good consolation to justify buying a cheap subwoofer.
post #16 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A subwoofer is one that excels below 30Hz. No? You cant call something that rolls off sharply below some 35hz as a subwoofer and say that it can hold its ground to a $1000 sub. And try telling to the bass fans that movies do not have content below 30Hz! That is all good consolation to justify buying a cheap subwoofer.

You might learn something:

In terms of midbass output, yes, the PA-150 is a solid offering can can hang or best subs that cost considerably more in terms of clean output. And yes, it rolls off sharply and clearly this is where many of the more expensive subwoofers excel (sub 20hz bass). But how many movies have sub 20hz content, and of those that do, how much are you really missing? 1%, 5%, 10% of the audio mix? Most bass is going to be above 30hz. I bought a VTF-15H because I wanted to be able to have extension below 20hz and I have a very large room. But not everyone has a $1000 budget and clearly there will be a compromise somewhere. When someone says they have a $300 budget and you recommend subs that cost 2-3 times the price you are not helping anyone. Ironically enough the PA-150 most likely has more bass 30-40hz and up vs any of the three subs you mentioned.

Go ahead and use the link above to compare the SVS PB-12NSD (which retails for $749) to the PA-150. In terms of output the PA-150 measured higher 40hz and above. For the price point of a single PB12, you can buy 2 PA-150's, have the advantage of multiple subwoofers for smoother response throughout your room, and add another 4-6db most likely to the overall output of the PA-150's.

You seem to mock what you don't actually understand.
post #17 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I am Practically sold on the PA-150. My only concern is there arent a huge number of reviews and they arent that lon ago either. I am concerned with durability of the amp and speaker. My Athena sub I had lasted a while but I was still bummed when the amp died. The price at Amazon is $425 plus shipping. Heard people buying them for cheaper.
post #18 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM

There is a recent thread on this forum that is titled something like "cheapest place to buy the PA-150" Apparently there is a guy that sells them that you can make an offer to and he supposedly sells them very reasonably. Someone said they got theirs from him for $350 shipped.
post #19 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Curious about this sub for a large room application, too (almost purely for HT audio). At $350 I'd have jumped on it to at least give it a try. $425...eh...that pushes it a bit less enthusiastically towards the price of a VTF-15H.

What would be the big difference between a VTF-15H (which I had planned to plunk down on) and the PA-150 (which seems like a lot of bang for the buck that could also be worth considering)? What about a VTF-15H vs. two PA-150's (as an upgrade path for more loudness or uniformity in a space that is largish and open / connected to hallway and other area).

This is mainly for HT audio, not music so much, and I'm concerned with having enough loudness. Right now I'm lending this large space one of my two Hsu STF-2's from my own room (my own smaller space uses a pair of STF-2's both reinforced by corner placement, and some Aura shakers to generate an effective overall HT bass response). The STF-2 is lost in the large space! It's like it doesn't exist. And my single lonely STF-2 back in my space struggles to make an impact itself.

So I know only so far that I need some OOMPH here. What I am really going to notice are the big differentiators between this "budget" 15-incher and the "midrange" Hsu? Qualitatively, I mean?

Thanks!!

Each moment only once.
post #20 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

You can make an offer here:
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1825&sc=28

I would offer $300 and see what happens. I paid $350 shipped for mine, but that was well over a year ago. I have seen people pay $300-350. Keep in mind the VTF-15H is going to be over $1K shipped so you are talking a totally differen price point. If you have the budget for the VTF-15H what you will be getting is much more output in the 15-30hz range for low frequency bass.
post #21 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

For the price point of a single PB12, you can buy 2 PA-150's, have the advantage of multiple subwoofers for smoother response throughout your room, and add another 4-6db most likely to the overall output of the PA-150's.

You could add 2 or 4 of them but you are still not going to get the low end extension as there is just no output at the low end. I understand if you say the content below 20Hz is not much in movies but to say that anything less than 30hz is not significant in movies is just making a consolation to justify buying a cheaper model. It is basically a sour grape story. if it doesnt have the low end at all, how can it stand its ground when compared to more expensive subs that have over 100db below 30Hz? ? I dont buy a subwoofer just for the mid bass. Heck my Klipsch KG5.2 which I bought for a couple of 100 bucks can give me all the mid bass I want. Even the smaller KG3.2 (my avatar) gives amazing mid bass that most book shelf speakers these days cant.

I would rather spend $649 on the SVS SB12-NSD and get the low end extension than spend $425 on the PA-150. I see more value in the SVS-SB12 or even the PB12. I just cant see that value with the PA as it just does not provide the low end. if someone just wants a mid bass unit for $400 may it is ok. Why bother to spend $400 and get just the mid bass unit when I can get more low end extension for $649. That is the value I prefer. Getting 2 PA-150 does not appeal to me as I would still not get the low end as it just does not exist.
post #22 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

I'm actually comparing against picking up a used VTF-15H. The price difference between the PA (new) and the Hsu (used, but still under warranty) is about $300-$350. I'm leaning towards thinking the Hsu is worth it, as long as I know it'll fill a big space well, even if I have to waste "two-tree" hours driving to go get it. The Hsu is is good condition, just some minor mark on it.

This is my floorspace. The top of this picture is where the display and front speakers are, facing the seating towards the middle/rear of Section B...and a bar all the at the bottom of this drawing in Section B, behind the seating area.

Each moment only once.
post #23 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post

I'm actually comparing against picking up a used VTF-15H. The price difference between the PA (new) and the Hsu (used, but still under warranty) is about $300-$350. I'm leaning towards thinking the Hsu is worth it, as long as I know it'll fill a big space well, even if I have to waste "two-tree" hours driving to go get it. The Hsu is is good condition, just some minor mark on it.
This is my floorspace. The top of this picture is where the display and front speakers are, facing the seating towards the middle/rear of Section B...and a bar all the at the bottom of this drawing in Section B, behind the seating area.

For that price difference and room size I would go with the Hsu, assuming you have the budget.
post #24 of 46 Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could add 2 or 4 of them but you are still not going to get the low end extension as there is just no output at the low end. I understand if you say the content below 20Hz is not much in movies but to say that anything less than 30hz is not significant in movies is just making a consolation to justify buying a cheaper model. It is basically a sour grape story. if it doesnt have the low end at all, how can it stand its ground when compared to more expensive subs that have over 100db below 30Hz? ? I dont buy a subwoofer just for the mid bass. Heck my Klipsch KG5.2 which I bought for a couple of 100 bucks can give me all the mid bass I want. Even the smaller KG3.2 (my avatar) gives amazing mid bass that most book shelf speakers these days cant.
I would rather spend $649 on the SVS SB12-NSD and get the low end extension than spend $425 on the PA-150. I see more value in the SVS-SB12 or even the PB12. I just cant see that value with the PA as it just does not provide the low end. if someone just wants a mid bass unit for $400 may it is ok. Why bother to spend $400 and get just the mid bass unit when I can get more low end extension for $649. That is the value I prefer. Getting 2 PA-150 does not appeal to me as I would still not get the low end as it just does not exist.

Why stop at the SVS. Since we are talking about double or tripling budgets, you can do much better than the SVS for just a few hundred more. The SVS, in my large room, would not have enough midbass, and I would need two of them. At that point you are talking Ryhtmik 15HP territory. Or even better build a couple 18" DIY subs...
post #25 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Why do you keep insisting on mid bass. A subwoofer is not meant to be just a mid bass unit. The OP didnt ask for a mid bass unit only.

If you read my first post carefully, I did not suggest an expensive sub for OP. I just said that the review of cheap subs or rather mid bass unit like PA-150 was not a direct comparison to more expensive subs that have better low end extension. You just cant compare a mid bass unit to a real sub as there is just no output at the low end of the mid bass unit to compare with that of a real subwoofer.

You are accusing me of suggesting an expensive sub (even though I did not), but how is it fair for you to suggest 2 PA-150's to bump up the mid bass when the budget is $300? Please stop insisting on mid bass. The OP asked about a subwoofer, not a mid bass unit.

My problem is your comparison of a mid bass unit like PA-150 to more expensive all round performers i.e those that also give low end extension and say that the PA will hold its ground. Sure if one wants a mid bass unit for $400, it may be ok. But not if one wants low end extension.

It is also not true that there is not much content below 30Hz in movies. If you look at the list of movies with bass, many have content between 20-30Hz. I understand if one says there is very little below 20Hz. I myself said in many threads that getting a sub that goes down to single digit is an over kill. But if you miss out between 20Hz to some 30 or 35Hz as it is in the case of PA-150, you are missing a lot. You are missing the real bass!

If budget is really fixed, at least go for something Klipsch RW-12 D that has some low end extension and something that you can call as a "subwoofer" than a mid bass unit like PA-150.

If the title of this thread were like $300 mid bass unit and people raved about the PS-150, I would not have any issues with that. I rest my case.
post #26 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do you keep insisting on mid bass. A subwoofer is not meant to be just a mid bass unit. The OP didnt ask for a mid bass unit only.
If you read my first post carefully, I did not suggest an expensive sub for OP. I just said that the review of cheap subs or rather mid bass unit like PA-150 was not a direct comparison to more expensive subs that have better low end extension. You just cant compare a mid bass unit to a real sub as there is just no output at the low end of the mid bass unit to compare with that of a real subwoofer.
You are accusing me of suggesting an expensive sub (even though I did not), but how is it fair for you to suggest 2 PA-150's to bump up the mid bass when the budget is $300? Please stop insisting on mid bass. The OP asked about a subwoofer, not a mid bass unit.
My problem is your comparison of a mid bass unit like PA-150 to more expensive all round performers i.e those that also give low end extension and say that the PA will hold its ground. Sure if one wants a mid bass unit for $400, it may be ok. But not if one wants low end extension.
It is also not true that there is not much content below 30Hz in movies. If you look at the list of movies with bass, many have content between 20-30Hz. I understand if one says there is very little below 20Hz. I myself said in many threads that getting a sub that goes down to single digit is an over kill. But if you miss out between 20Hz to some 30 or 35Hz as it is in the case of PA-150, you are missing a lot. You are missing the real bass!
If budget is really fixed, at least go for something Klipsch RW-12 D that has some low end extension and something that you can call as a "subwoofer" than a mid bass unit like PA-150.
If the title of this thread were like $300 mid bass unit and people raved about the PS-150, I would not have any issues with that. I rest my case.

Sigh. I don't think you even looked at the databass chart. The PA-150 will play below 30hz. It will play down to 20hz, depending on your room. Will it play as loud and clean as some subs that costs $750-1000? No. But when you consider that (if I had to guess) 99% of so of all bass in a movie is likely to occur above 20hz, well, then it seems rather senseless to try and chase the 1% on a $300 budget. No sub is going to give you really good extension below 20hz and high SPL's above 30hz on a $300 budget. Maybe if you went DIY and scored a deal on parts.

So for someone with a large room and a $300 budget, I recommended the PA-150 because it will give you the most bang for the buck. It will give you the most SPL's above 30hz where, again, the vast majority of the bass resides. It actually outperforms many subwoofers that cost 2-3 times the price above 40hz. You can't hear bass below 20hz. You feel it. And yes, I agree, that sub 20hz bass is awesome to experience. But it is also a blast to feel that slam in your chest from bass in the 40-80hz range where the majority of bass resides. This is what most people are trying to chase when they think of home theater. That midbass slam in your chest. The PA-150 measured 118db at 80hz on Ricci's test. Again, look at the data. That is very impressive for a sub $400 sub. The SVS PB13 Ultra, a $2K sub, did not achieve those measurements per Ricci.

The Klipsch sub you mentioned is actually a solid recommendation and is a good subwoofer. However I don't believe it is under $300 anymore and it is back up to $500.

If your ultimate goal is sub 20hz bass on a budget, I would not even be looking at any commerical subs. I would be looking DIY. Something like the Danley DTS-10 kit if it is still being sold.
post #27 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

I am Practically sold on the PA-150. My only concern is there arent a huge number of reviews and they arent that lon ago either. I am concerned with durability of the amp and speaker. My Athena sub I had lasted a while but I was still bummed when the amp died. The price at Amazon is $425 plus shipping. Heard people buying them for cheaper.

It was $349 on amazon about a week ago. I think if you're patient, you can get a good price.

If you can get a working VTF15 for only $300 more (plus $30 gas), I would get that. Even if you have to drive for 3 hours.
post #28 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

The PA-150 regularly sells for around $350 at Acoustic Sound Design if you make them an offer. There are certainly better subs from HSU or SVS for twice the money. But this thread is not about you and your disposable income. The OP expressed a budget of around $300. The PA-150 seems a good fit for his needs.

To the OP: Like ack_bk I would definitely buy the PA-150 for a very large space if my budget was the same. The PA-150 may not hit great below 30hz, but it will have a tremendous amount of power and sound very clean compared to other subs at this price point. It will be awesome for music for this price and still will provide a nice experience for HT. Josh Ricci, who is considered the king of measuring subs around here, thought it was a great sub for the price (read his conclusion following his review). You'll probably be able to feel it throughout your house when it's cranked. I think you would really enjoy it smile.gif

post #29 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

It was $349 on amazon about a week ago. I think if you're patient, you can get a good price.
If you can get a working VTF15 for only $300 more (plus $30 gas), I would get that. Even if you have to drive for 3 hours.

Looks like the Klipsch is not $431 on Amazon now after shipping. That Newegg deal for $299 was a very good one...

Agreed on the VTF-15H for the price. That is s steal and they are hard to find used. But clearly that is well above the $300 range smile.gif
post #30 of 46 Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The PA-150 regularly sells for around $350 at Acoustic Sound Design if you make them an offer. There are certainly better subs from HSU or SVS for twice the money. But this thread is not about you and your disposable income. The OP expressed a budget of around $300. The PA-150 seems a good fit for his needs.
To the OP: Like ack_bk I would definitely buy the PA-150 for a very large space if my budget was the same. The PA-150 may not hit great below 30hz, but it will have a tremendous amount of power and sound very clean compared to other subs at this price point. It will be awesome for music for this price and still will provide a nice experience for HT. Josh Ricci, who is considered the king of measuring subs around here, thought it was a great sub for the price (read his conclusion following his review). You'll probably be able to feel it throughout your house when it's cranked. I think you would really enjoy it smile.gif

Thank for the recommendation. I got back an offer on the PA-150 sub which seems too good to pass up. That is a legit site to buy from right?

Of course I wish I could get the best of the best with a bass pounding 20 hz sub but I just don’t have that kind of coin to spend on one particular sub. I’m weary to buy used subwoofers too. I’d prefer to buy new to do my own break in and know what the sub has been put though. This will be a huge upgrade to my Athena sub which sounded great but was a smaller less powerful sub. I am excited to have some serious bass in my house because all my vehicles I have ever owned have subs in them. I had 3 Competition 10" kicker subs in one of my cars. It was amazing and so loud you could hear it blocks away. I recently stepped down to a JBL 10" sub for my Honda Fit ( commuter car) but it’s enough for me. Everyone has bills and other obligations or ways they like to spend money. I think I will be more than happy with the PA-150 sub.

Just one more question that has not been answered in my previous posts. Is the PA-150 subwoofer durable and long lasting. My other sub lasted a while but the amp went out which was a common issue being a cheaper Bash amp. There aren’t a lot of older reviews on this sub so who knows how long these subs last under typical use?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page