Connecting sub to amp using speakon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 2 passive sub which i am connecting to the amp. The amp has a speakon connector and it has 2 channels. So one sub gets connected to each channel respectively using a speakon connector for each channel.
But the speakon has the following connections 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-. How do i connect one single sub to this connector?

I checked with multimeter and all the 4 connections are independent. of each other. I expected 2 pairs to be shorted such that 2 subs can be connected in parallel using just one connection. A little confused here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What do you mean by one single sub.. do you not have two separate subs?

If you do have 2 subs then I believe you just run 2 speaktrons out of the amp, one for each channel. you only wire the first channel to 1+/1- and you wire the second channel to 2+/2-

(edit: My experience is limited. I have a single sub run off of my EP4000 in bridged mode so that 1+ is positive and 2+ becomes negative out of channel 1, and I just run a single wire to the sub)
post #3 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs View Post

I have 2 passive sub which i am connecting to the amp. The amp has a speakon connector and it has 2 channels. So one sub gets connected to each channel respectively using a speakon connector for each channel.
But the speakon has the following connections 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-. How do i connect one single sub to this connector?
I checked with multimeter and all the 4 connections are independent. of each other. I expected 2 pairs to be shorted such that 2 subs can be connected in parallel using just one connection. A little confused here.

If connecting a single sub to one channel of the amp, using a 4 pole speakon connector, you would use 1+ (pos) and 1- (neg). If connecting both subs, then simply use the 2+ and 2- for the second sub - giving each sub one channel of the amplifier. This is the speakon going into the amp.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalis2 View Post

If connecting a single sub to one channel of the amp, using a 4 pole speakon connector, you would use 1+ (pos) and 1- (neg). If connecting both subs, then simply use the 2+ and 2- for the second sub - giving each sub one channel of the amplifier. This is the speakon going into the amp.

thanks for the replies

i am still a little confused.
I got how to connect one sub. Connect to one channel of the amp with the speakon with 1+ and 1- connected to one subwoofer.
For second subwoofer, I connect to amp's second channel with second speakon connector. But, You mean to say I should connect the second sub to 2+ and 2- and not 1+ and 1- of the second speakon?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM

It should be possible both ways.

Using the amp I have as an example, the Behringer inuke 6000, I have two passive subs connected using a single 4 pole speakon as I described earlier. I could have used separate connectors - one for each sub instead. If doing it with two connectors you would use the 1+ 1- on each connector.

Simply speaking, you don't need to use 2 speakon connectors for 2 subs, provided your amp can take a 4 pole connector (it should be labelled on the back of the amp- see image ) .

Each sub would still get its own amp channel, one from the 1+ 1-, and one from the 2+ 2-.

You can use two connectors if you'd rather, in which case the 2+ 2- are just not used.

Hope this makes more sense.
ShaQBlogs likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
What does the amp manual say? There's no set rule as to how Speakons are wired. They may be +1/-1 on one channel, +2/-2 on the other. But they may not.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalis2 View Post

Hope this makes more sense.
yup...got it. Assuming that this is how it works in my amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

What does the amp manual say? There's no set rule as to how Speakons are wired. They may be +1/-1 on one channel, +2/-2 on the other. But they may not.
I have a crown XLS 1500
I have checked the manual multiple times. It has barely info on this - except a bit on page 7.

I zoomed the image on page 7 and i think it is what cubalis2 mentioned.
Pls confirm its same.
Here is a pic of the back panel of XLS 2500. It is the same in the XLS 1500 back panel
post #8 of 8 Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs View Post

yup...got it. Assuming that this is how it works in my amp.
I have a crown XLS 1500
I have checked the manual multiple times. It has barely info on this - except a bit on page 7.
I zoomed the image on page 7 and i think it is what cubalis2 mentioned.
Pls confirm its same.
Here is a pic of the back panel of XLS 2500. It is the same in the XLS 1500 back panel

Yep, that looks to be the same as the inuke. You can use two separate speakons, one to each channel, or a single 4 pole speakon connected to the 'channel 1' input.
ShaQBlogs likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page