what am i doing wrong? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'd appreciate any help on this.

i have a pioneer sc-27 feeding a 5.1 klipsch system. the sub is a klipsch rw-12d. for some reason, i'm not getting a signal to the sub. the sub powers up. the lcd display lights up. but for some reason today, there's no low end. i've tried turning the receiver on and off. tried different sub cables. no joy.

has anyone run into this? is it the receiver that's glitching or the sub?

any help is truly appreciated. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 297
What mode is the AVR in? What is your source?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142

How have you set up the bass management?  What sources are you using?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 40
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-27_OperatingInstructions0421.pdf

Page 20 / 25 make sure you are using the subwoofer output on the AVR

Page 124 manual speaker setup, Speaker Setting page 125 set all speakers to small, SW to YES, crossover 80
on the subwoofer make sure it is on and the volume control is set to 25%

Plug in the mic that came with the AVR into the front mic jack on the AVR

Page 110 select auto MCACC, keep SP SYSTEM, START

The AVR will calibrate the system (do you hear the subwoofer during the calibration ?? if not get back on here, there is something else wrong)

After the calibration is complete check the subwoofer channel trim in the AVR, you want it to be near 0 +/-3 dB is fine.
If the calibration set the channel trim to to -4,-5.-6 or lower then the volume on the sub is to high, if the channel trim is +4,+5,+6 or higher the volume on the sub is to low.... adjust the volume on the sub as required and run the calibration again as described above. Repeat until the AVR calibration sets the subwoofer channel trim between -3 and +3 dB.

To start out use the auto surround setting on the AVR page 61

Study the owners manual, lots of good stuff in there, ask questions about the things you do not understand.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-27_OperatingInstructions0421.pdf
Page 20 / 25 make sure you are using the subwoofer output on the AVR
Page 124 manual speaker setup, Speaker Setting page 125 set all speakers to small, SW to YES, crossover 80
on the subwoofer make sure it is on and the volume control is set to 25%
Plug in the mic that came with the AVR into the front mic jack on the AVR
Page 110 select auto MCACC, keep SP SYSTEM, START
The AVR will calibrate the system (do you hear the subwoofer during the calibration ?? if not get back on here, there is something else wrong)
After the calibration is complete check the subwoofer channel trim in the AVR, you want it to be near 0 +/-3 dB is fine.
If the calibration set the channel trim to to -4,-5.-6 or lower then the volume on the sub is to high, if the channel trim is +4,+5,+6 or higher the volume on the sub is to low.... adjust the volume on the sub as required and run the calibration again as described above. Repeat until the AVR calibration sets the subwoofer channel trim between -3 and +3 dB.
To start out use the auto surround setting on the AVR page 61
Study the owners manual, lots of good stuff in there, ask questions about the things you do not understand.

that's the thing. i've set up my gear as the manual has stated it should be set up. then i turn on my gear in sequence.

1. signal sournce (either comcast box or bd player)

2. monitor

3. sub

i just moved my gear from one room to another. when i went to mcacc to set up the speakers, the sub isn't firing. so when i use the cable or bd player, no lows. i'm not a button pusher or knob tweaker. with my gear, it's:

1. put the gear in place.

2. run mcacc

3. watch tv

so why is the sub not firing? that's what i can't figure out. all speakers are set up as should be. sub is hooked up to the 'subwoofer out' of the sc-27. so why is there no low end signal?

as mentioned, the sub turns on and has power. so i couldn't have blown a fuse. right? don't think the speaker is blown. don't drive my gear that loud.

wish i had a second sub to see if it is the rw-12d that's glitching. or is there a 'reset' command for the sc-27 to reset the receiver back to factory specs so i can eliminate that equation?

thanks for any help.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Just to confirm. You definitely set the speakers to small and set a crossover?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutz View Post

i just moved my gear from one room to another.

OK, so we have isolated when the issue occured. There is something not plugged in the correct place.

Make sure you have your cable plugged into the Subwoofer PreOut... it's shaded in white around the plug in.
There are 2 Subwoofer ports... I think you may have chosen the wrong one, I've done that in the past.

If you have your cable plugged into the white subwoofer preout port, I don't know what to do next.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Just to confirm. You definitely set the speakers to small and set a crossover?

yes. set to small and set crossover at 80hz
Old 11-01-2012, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitadisciple View Post

OK, so we have isolated when the issue occured. There is something not plugged in the correct place.
Make sure you have your cable plugged into the Subwoofer PreOut... it's shaded in white around the plug in.
There are 2 Subwoofer ports... I think you may have chosen the wrong one, I've done that in the past.
If you have your cable plugged into the white subwoofer preout port, I don't know what to do next.

yes. checked about five times to make sure the sub cable was in the upper 'sub' jack.

funny thing happened. just for s$%ts and giggles, i plugged the sub into the other sub jack. no lows of course. went to plug the sub back into the proper jack and, voila. lows.

not sure why the receiver wouldn't send out the signal in the first place. am dumbfounded. if anyone has any leads why the receiver and sub wouldn't 'shake hands', i'd appreciate any input. i mean, is there any other particular sequence to follow when powering up and powering down your gear? or is there something else that's glitching up the works?

oh well. thanks everyone for your help. i really appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutz View Post

yes. checked about five times to make sure the sub cable was in the upper 'sub' jack.
funny thing happened. just for s$%ts and giggles, i plugged the sub into the other sub jack. no lows of course. went to plug the sub back into the proper jack and, voila. lows.
not sure why the receiver wouldn't send out the signal in the first place. am dumbfounded. if anyone has any leads why the receiver and sub wouldn't 'shake hands', i'd appreciate any input. i mean, is there any other particular sequence to follow when powering up and powering down your gear? or is there something else that's glitching up the works?
oh well. thanks everyone for your help. i really appreciate it.

Are you using the Auto On/Off feature on the sub? Perhaps it's not working properly.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

just wanted to post a follow-up in case others run into this situation.

was still having trouble getting a sub-out signal from my pioneer sc-27 to my sub. contacted the folks up at paradyme in sacramento who are pio certified. explained my issues and jerry (tech) mentioned it's a normal issue they run into and it's an easy fix.

basically the E.P.A. has outlawed the use of lead-based solder in today's tech. so manufacturers use lead-less solder which doesn't 'stick' as well and can break down. this can lead to circuit boards and parts disconnecting.

so basically the circuit board in my sc-27 needed to be soldered back. the techs did quick work (receiver gone only two days) and updated the firmware.

so now all is definitely ok. tested everything with the 'aliens' blu ray (lots of low end firing) and all's well.

so the moral of the story is 'beware bad solder". oh, and to have good techs nearby!