Seaton F2 versus JTR Captivator S2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Ok, not sure if anybody has heard both. I am moving to a new house and building a new HT room. I will not likely have dual subs...at least not for the first year so I am looking for one sub with plenty of impact. The Seaton seams to be a clone performance wise of the Submersive but just a different layout. The JTR seems to be similar in design but has 18 inch drivers instead of 15. My main use will be HT and gaming with minimal music listening. The space is fairly large at 27 * 28 space in the basement. Looking for one sub to give me good output in a room that size. ANy thoughts? Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If "There can be only one" then it has to be the S2.
I have a pair of Subm's so It isnt that easy for me to go against myself but
The S2 is "almost" like co-locating a pair of Subm HP's.
Here is the truth Sound Quality they are both equally as pleasing so hard choice but I think Spl and total
overall output one on one the S2 has to be the boss.
1 SubM HP = $2300
1 S2 = $3000
2 SubM HP = $4500 (discount on multiples)
2 S2 = $6000
3 SubM Hp = $6500
Pick a pricepoint and you should be able to reason it out. With those choices you cant go wrong !!!
Chris
Of coarse I missed the F2 part so add the $$ premium to the above totals. There is no performance gain on the F2 over the HP
just different placement options and looks.
its phillip likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Ok, not sure if anybody has heard both. I am moving to a new house and building a new HT room. I will not likely have dual subs...at least not for the first year so I am looking for one sub with plenty of impact. The Seaton seams to be a clone performance wise of the Submersive but just a different layout. The JTR seems to be similar in design but has 18 inch drivers instead of 15. My main use will be HT and gaming with minimal music listening. The space is fairly large at 27 * 28 space in the basement. Looking for one sub to give me good output in a room that size. ANy thoughts? Recommendations?

Hi Frohlich,

Look for JTR Orbit Shifter LFU model smile.gif
post #4 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Part of my concern is the looks and size of the Orbit shifter. I think the S2 is slimmer and will look less intrusive into the Media Room. Does the Orbit Shifter perform better than the S2?
post #5 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 235
For a room that size you can't beat the output of the JTR S2 or even the powered Captivator offering. Will the sub be in plain view? The one advantage the F2 has is it is DEAD sexy!! See the pics from our GTG thread. biggrin.gif

Will the sub be in plain view? Any openings in the room? Where in the room will the sub be located? Where is the Listening position?
post #6 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is in a new house we haven't even moved into yet...2 more weeks. The basement space is roughly 28*27 but only half will be my HT, the other half will be the kids area for games like air hockey and Ping Pong. Down the center are a series of pillars . My contractor is basically taking half the space so roughly 14 * 27 and building it out more than it already is.. THe basement is already finished but we are having new carpet, molding, a custom AV cabinet and bar built. So the actual viewing area will be about 14 * 20 but the room is wide open ( we are not having a dividing wall built or anything like that). My guess is we will be sitting about 17 feet back from the 110 inch screen I ordered. I already bought 7 JTR speakers (T8 and T12 combination) for the main speakers. THe sub will likely sit front left of the room next to the AV equipment close to a back wall but not in a corner..
post #7 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

It is in a new house we haven't even moved into yet...2 more weeks. The basement space is roughly 28*27 but only half will be my HT, the other half will be the kids area for games like air hockey and Ping Pong. Down the center are a series of pillars . My contractor is basically taking half the space so roughly 14 * 27 and building it out more than it already is.. THe basement is already finished but we are having new carpet, molding, a custom AV cabinet and bar built. So the actual viewing area will be about 14 * 20 but the room is wide open ( we are not having a dividing wall built or anything like that). My guess is we will be sitting about 17 feet back from the 110 inch screen I ordered. I already bought 7 JTR speakers (T8 and T12 combination) for the main speakers. THe sub will likely sit front left of the room next to the AV equipment close to a back wall but not in a corner..

Hi,

I have talked with Jeff several time by phone and he still prefers horn design like Orbit Shifter LF or LFU over sealed or bass reflex design, if you choose his 7 JTR main speakers then the subwoofer should to be JTR as well, call him and he will tell you the best solution for your room smile.gif
post #8 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

If you're looking for the best output for the buck AND you have the room to spare, I would definitely strongly consider the Orbit Shifter. Gobs of output, crazy extension, and since it's not going in your living room, hopefully the size/aesthetics won't be much concern. cool.gif
post #9 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
+1
post #10 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
Certainly do not discount the massive output/extension of the S2 and the (IMHO) larger value with the S2. You get the same amp as the Orbit Shifter but you get (2) of the very high quality 18" drivers in the S2 vs. (1) in OS. I guess if it were me, I would go with the S2.
Archaea likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 26
I would vote for dual S2s. I recently bought one and I am very happy with it. You may get a dual / repeat customer discount too.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you for all the great feedback and input. Since I won't be moving for another week and then still will have to wait 3 or so weeks after that until my contractor finished the basement off, I won't order a sub for a couple more weeks. Thinking I am going to stick with JTR since I have ordered all JTR speakers. Likely down to the S2 or the Orbit shifter. I will contact Jeff shortly and get his throughts/recommendation as well.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Thank you for all the great feedback and input. Since I won't be moving for another week and then still will have to wait 3 or so weeks after that until my contractor finished the basement off, I won't order a sub for a couple more weeks. Thinking I am going to stick with JTR since I have ordered all JTR speakers. Likely down to the S2 or the Orbit shifter. I will contact Jeff shortly and get his throughts/recommendation as well.
If you have to flip a coin.
Heads you win tales you win.
Chris
post #14 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Liked: 26
So what did you end up getting?
post #15 of 16 Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered the s2. It should be here this week but I won't be able to use it for a couple more weeks when the theater is done.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I ordered the s2. It should be here this week but I won't be able to use it for a couple more weeks when the theater is done.

What do you think of it? I know this is an old thread, but just noticed it. I have a pair of SubM HP's and I have yet to find their limits at well over reference (Over 10db over reference). You can't go wrong with any of them. What I particularly like about the SubM HP is how tight, defined and punchy it is. I've never heard a sub with so much of a tight thump/punch. There is no boomy-ness to this sub at all. Unless of course, it's in the source material. I'm curious to hear how the S2 compares to the SubM HP in this regard. I remember a while back, Mark was talking about coming up with a SubM with dual 18" drivers instead of 15".
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page