Subwoofer placement - unusual question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a 98% chance this is a dumb idea and/or a waste of time/$ but hear goes….. I live in a small town-home w/a neighbor attached on one side. The townhome exterior is concrete block all around with 2x10 floor joists resting on cut-outs in the concrete block. During a renovation, we studded out 2x4 walls in front of the concrete block by about an inch (originally the drywall was attached to furring strips, furring strips to the block). We did this so we could add insulation and AC ducts. The walls/ceiling are double 5/8ths with Green Glue. The floors are untreated/standard – didn’t want to pull up the hardwood floors + the “main-theater” will be in the basement.

In our living-room we will have a set of Paradigm MilleniaOne’s and I am looking to get “budget” subwoofer – either an SVS SB-12 or (just found out about Power Sound this morning) a Power Sound XS15.

So, my subwoofer question: I want to minimize the amount of vibration that makes it to the floor from the sub since that will short out my double 5/8ths w/GG. Is it worth the $100 - $150 to buy a solid steel plate (12inch x 12inch, bigger if I get the XS15) to put the sub on?

Chances are this is a very dumb idea considering I didn’t see any other posts suggesting a similar idea nor do I see “Don’t forget to add your heavy steel plate to your subwoofer order” on manufacturer’s websites haha.

If it even matters: 2-inch thick 12x12 plate is about 82 lbs, 3-inch thick is about 122lbs…

Aesthetics don’t matter as it won’t be in view.

If you can contain your laughter, please just respond with "No" or "Not a good idea"...or on the 2% chance this idea is half good, please share your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Liked: 11
NO! NOT a good idea. Spend $50 on a Sub-Duide to DE-couple the subwoofer from the floor.

Good luck,

Bill C
post #3 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply...not sure how I missed the Subdude discussions...fail on my part. "Steel plate" yielded no results (duh)...subwoofer isolation is what I should have searched.

Anyway, I think I'll cap my post limit at 8 total and just continue to read up on what all you more intelligent folks post. Thanks again.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Trying to isolate a sub from the floor is a complete waste of time and money, as virtually no bass energy is directly transmitted through the cabinet to the floor. As for the Subdude, it will not isolate the floor from the sub. Rather, it isolates the sub from the floor, so when the floor vibrates in response to the sub output the floor won't cause the sub to vibrate. That can make for some improvement of the sound within the room, but it will have absolutely no effect on bass transmitted through the floor.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page