I have Audio Engine A5+ and a D1, is it worth getting the S8? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-10-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gday

I'm looking to get a sub to compliment my existing gear. I'm wondering if its worth getting the S8 so that I will have matching equipment and possibly better sound or is that just crazy talk? I'll be using it from the computer and possibly as a temporary HT set up, in both situations playing mainly music. I cant really offer any room dimensions as I'm not too sure what ill be moving into, which I know is a pain. Looking at 10 or 12 inch. Any opinions are appreciated.

Cheers guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-11-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Nope. No reason it needs to match. Looks like you have left/right RCA outs on the back which should be able to be used to hook up a sub (check your manual).

What's your budget for a new sub?

post #3 of 15 Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm running an Emotiva Ultra 10 subwoofer with my Audioengine A5s in a bedroom setup.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I run an Outlaw M8 [same as the Hsu STF-1] with mine on my computer system and they're excellent together. I've used an Infinity Classia PSW310 with good results as well. No need to use the Audioengine sub I think.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 14
I ran a pair of A5+ with my STF-2 and it sounded great.

The S8 seems a bit pricey for what it is.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by leninGHOLA View Post

I ran a pair of A5+ with my STF-2 and it sounded great.
The S8 seems a bit pricey for what it is.

I was thinking the same thing. I would think that the previously mentioned Outlaw Audio M8 or the STF-1 would be a better 8" sub for the money.

Also, worth waiting now to see what Outlaw Audio does for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They put the M8 on sale last year.

post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Cheers for the replys guys. Kickerofelves, are you happy with your outlaw? Cel4145 my budget is about 400 to 500 bucks. Im correct in assuming that black friday is the 27th of november?
post #8 of 15 Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nicolson View Post

Cheers for the replys guys. Kickerofelves, are you happy with your outlaw?

Yes I am happy with them. It's a fine subwoofer, it makes the most of the 8" woofer at that price-point. Great for computer audio & blends in well with the Audioengine 5. I'd like run duals but I really don't use my computer system for jamming.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
SVS now has two new subs in your price range worth checking out

http://www.svsound.com/1000-series-landing
post #10 of 15 Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Quote:

Gday
I'm looking to get a sub to compliment my existing gear. I'm wondering if its worth getting the S8 so that I will have matching equipment and possibly better sound or is that just crazy talk? I'll be using it from the computer and possibly as a temporary HT set up, in both situations playing mainly music. I cant really offer any room dimensions as I'm not too sure what ill be moving into, which I know is a pain. Looking at 10 or 12 inch. Any opinions are appreciated.
Cheers guys.
Scott,

The S8 will probably work better for your music. Smaller bass driver will give you tighter / hard bass and will sound more accurate compare to low/mid price range larger subs as those are for "HOME THEATER MOVIES" anyway...

You also need to upgrade your Audioengine A5 speakers to A2 ($200) as they provide better sound. Get an Audioquest Angel RCA-RCA cable ($1200 for 1.5m, $1400 2m) for your speakers. You don't have to get Angel cable for your sub. Get an Audioquest Sydney ($200) RCA-RCA cable for your sub (Audioengine S8). You can get the SVS SB12-NSD as an alternative. More expensive, but it's a GREAT SYNERGY with the Audioengine A2 speakers... I **** all over the place cause it sounds so good. You'll get super precise authentic analytical metallic-like airy sound with better dimensionality in the soundstage. A5 speakers aren't that good in this. A2 is better.

My $1200 Audioquest Angel cable and Audioengine A2 speakers
dscf0851be.jpg

dscf0852u.jpg

They sound better than $2000 speakers with monoprice cables.wink.gif
post #11 of 15 Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thats a really interesting set up. So why exactly do you prefer the A2's to the A5's? Are you running an S8 or something else?
post #12 of 15 Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

""Get an Audioquest Angel RCA-RCA cable ($1200 for 1.5m, $1400 2m) for your speakers. You don't have to get Angel cable for your sub. Get an Audioquest Sydney ($200) RCA-RCA cable for your sub (Audioengine S8)."

If I'm running a toslink to my dac then having the audioquest style cable is overkill? Obviously from the DAC onwards its an analogue signal but Im just a bit wary of paying a buttload of money for cables when its not required. How do they sound compared to standard gold plated RCA's

Oh hey Kesando, cheers for that link mate, made for interesting reading and made my dilemma even more difficult. Im torn between the cheaper Outlaw M8 and the PB-1000, which is a pit higher up on the pay grade but looks a lot more versatile. The SB12-NSD looks a touch overpriced, but i have no experience in sealed units, so what do i know.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Liked: 11
Don't listen to the forum clown, the other guys above gave some good advice.

Me personally, I'd go for an EmpTek ES1010i. It's currently on sale for $330, marked down from $500. 2 vertically aligned 10" woofers in a very sexy package. Great bang for the buck, without using up all your budget. For the full $500 I'd opt for the oft recommended Epik Legend.

Audioholics review for the EmpTek
Scott Nicolson likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 AM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Before I upgraded my A2 speakers to Focal CMS40 for my entertainment center it was running with SVS SB12-NSD. Sydney cable feeding the sub, Angel cable to the A2 speakers.
Quote:

""Get an Audioquest Angel RCA-RCA cable ($1200 for 1.5m, $1400 2m) for your speakers. You don't have to get Angel cable for your sub. Get an Audioquest Sydney ($200) RCA-RCA cable for your sub (Audioengine S8)."
If I'm running a toslink to my dac then having the audioquest style cable is overkill? Obviously from the DAC onwards its an analogue signal but Im just a bit wary of paying a buttload of money for cables when its not required. How do they sound compared to standard gold plated RCA's
Using a toslink connection isn't overkill at all. Yes going DAC onward is analog and having very good performing (not Monoprice or Bluejean) cables is vital. The D1 DAC itself provides rather poor very forwarding, absorbent and fatty sound and only get worse with mediocre interconnects.

Sounds funny upgrading A5 speakers to A2 but there is something about the cabin design and mid-woofer driver size of the A2 gives you better mid range sound. They are crisper and has tighter / harder bass that A5's can't provide. Couple them with SVS SB12-NSD, if you tune them right (lower the bass output) they become a great synergy. Couple it with Audioquest Sydney or Angel cable will give you even greater increase in the detail of the bass as well as more details throughout mid range and highs. The dynamics will be increased as well as the depth of the soundstage in the highs. You will get about 2 to 3 more additional sound elements (instrument notes) out of the speakers. Your music will sound much cleaner, opposite of mushiness or sponginess, meaning great increase in transparency. But I bet you the Audioengine S8 will be even better synergy with the A2's.

As for the cable, if Angel cable ($1200) is too much for you, try out the Audioquest Sydney RCA cable from your DAC to speakers (both A5's or A2's and sub). If you are skeptic about this go to thecableco.com and try out their home trial from their cable library as they have all sorts of cables. They'll charge you 5% of the value of the cable you want to borrow for two weeks. You will thank me later once you try out one of these cables because there is a big difference in sound. For your Toslink connection make sure you don't use the toslink-mini adapter as they add great amount of electrical noise.

Good luck,
post #15 of 15 Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Now if you are planning to upgrade your speakers to something higher (e.g. Adam, Dynaudio, Focal, Genelec, Mackie, etc) level speakers sometime in the future it may not be wise to get the Angel or Sydney cables (with some exception to the subs as they have RCA outputs). In that case, get the "single-ended" high-performance RCA cables or XLR cables. Audioquest has the line-up for that, for example, Diamondback, King Cobra, Columbia, Colorado, Niagara, etc etc etc. There are plenty other competing manufacturers like Wireworld, Nordost, Kimber, Cardas, Synergistic Research, Furutech, Chord, MIT, etc etc. But my most favorite for audio interconnects is Audioquest. Later down the road I will be opting for a high-end power cord for my audio system. Probably go with either Shunyata Research or Synergistic Research. Synergistic Research makes some ultra high end stuff... If you want to further increase sound quality you need a very good power cord right out of the wall outlet to power distributor.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page