How do I test my sub-woofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All - I posted a similar question on the Main Audio forum (not in so much detail) but thought it would be helpful to post this question here as it seems relevant to sub-woofers. So, I apologize if you think this is a duplicate, I couldn't move the other post here, else I would have. This is my situation.

I bought my MLT 2 home theater from Newegg and have plugged it in with a Yamaha RX-373. The sub had a small crack near the leg which is cosmetic. I have plugged everything in and want to test if it is working correctly. Initially I smelt a little bit of electrical burning near the fins. I have plugged in the RCA cable to the LFE Right input in the sub.These are my settings

Sub-woofer settings

1. Turned the Control dial to the maximum
2. Turned the Low pass filter control to the maximum
3. Set the phase at 0 (not 180)

Receiver settings

1. Turned all speakers to small
2. Set Cross over at 100 Hz
3. Set the following levels - Front L, Front R, Center, Surround L, Surround R at 0.0 dB and Sub-woofer at -6.0dB. I did this to isolate the sub
4. Set the equalizer to the lowest level for all the 5 channel.

Issues faced

1. To test the sub, I ran a few sub-test songs on YouTube and found that the sub did make some thumps but I am also hearing music from the other speakers despite the above settings. My assumption was that if I made everything else minimal, all sound would be redirected to the sub. How do I isolate the sub?
2. I am still not sure if my sub works as expected. How do I really do a fool proof test to ensure it works? I don't want to return if its a good product but I am running out of options
3. Is the slight electrical smell a big issue? I had rather not return the whole set because I do think the other speakers are working well and there is no guarantee that the next package that comes in as a replacement will not have damage.
4. While on the topic, can someone also advise how to configure the system so that the voice is not drowned out by music while watching movies?

I would really appreciate if someone can guide me on this. I am very new to the Home theater situation and want to ensure I got a good working product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post

Receiver settings
3. Set the following levels - Front L, Front R, Center, Surround L, Surround R at 0.0 dB and Sub-woofer at -6.0dB. I did this to isolate the sub

You have your sub set to -6dB... that is basically turning it down... Change that setting to +6db and that will isolate it.

EDIT... normally new electronics will have that smell.. kinda like the "new car smell" but with electronics smile.gif If it starts shooting sparks, then you know you have an issue.. lol

post #4 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitadisciple View Post

You have your sub set to -6dB... that is basically turning it down... Change that setting to +6db and that will isolate it.
EDIT... normally new electronics will have that smell.. kinda like the "new car smell" but with electronics smile.gif If it starts shooting sparks, then you know you have an issue.. lol

Thanks so much. The setting was to try how it would look if I wanted to isolate. Now I have run YPAO and this is what it's showing me. Do I need to adjust the Sub-woofer to +6.0 dB or leave it per the Yamaha calibration? Also, the calibration has set the cross over frequency at 120 Hz. Do I need to change this?

Level

Front L = 0.0 dB
Front R = + 1.0 dB
Center = 3.5 dB
Surround L = +0.5 dB
Surround R = +1.0 dB
Sub-woofer = +0.5dB

In addition, my other settings are as follows on the Sub-woofer

1. Low pass filter = Set to a max of 200 hz (It has a range between 50 - 200 Hz)
2. Level set to 80% of max
3. Phase set to 0
post #5 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Per the advise, I have reset everything to my settings in the first post and as advised changed the sub-setting to +6dB to isolate and I do hear the thumping. Going to resort back to YPAO now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitadisciple View Post

Quote:

Hello All - I posted a similar question on the Main Audio forum (not in so much detail) but thought it would be helpful to post this question here as it seems relevant to sub-woofers. So, I apologize if you think this is a duplicate, I couldn't move the other post here, else I would have. This is my situation.
I bought my MLT 2 home theater from Newegg and have plugged it in with a Yamaha RX-373. The sub had a small crack near the leg which is cosmetic. I have plugged everything in and want to test if it is working correctly. Initially I smelt a little bit of electrical burning near the fins. I have plugged in the RCA cable to the LFE Right input in the sub.These are my settings
Sub-woofer settings
1. Turned the Control dial to the maximum
2. Turned the Low pass filter control to the maximum
3. Set the phase at 0 (not 180)
Receiver settings
4. Set the equalizer to the lowest level for all the 5 channel.
Issues faced
1. To test the sub, I ran a few sub-test songs on YouTube and found that the sub did make some thumps but I am also hearing music from the other speakers despite the above settings. My assumption was that if I made everything else minimal, all sound would be redirected to the sub. How do I isolate the sub?
2. I am still not sure if my sub works as expected. How do I really do a fool proof test to ensure it works? I don't want to return if its a good product but I am running out of options
3. Is the slight electrical smell a big issue? I had rather not return the whole set because I do think the other speakers are working well and there is no guarantee that the next package that comes in as a replacement will not have damage.
4. While on the topic, can someone also advise how to configure the system so that the voice is not drowned out by music while watching movies?
I would really appreciate if someone can guide me on this. I am very new to the Home theater situation and want to ensure I got a good working product
post #6 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM

If you ran the YPAO and it set the sub channel to +0.5dB then that is really close to where you want it. I would not keep it at +6dB unless you really like bass or your sub is weak and needs to be turned up to mesh with your other speakers.

From what I found the frequency response for your speakers is 110hz - 20khz, your center channel is 130hz - 20khz... so 120hz should be OK.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

YPAO is showing different results at different times. I just ran the YPAO a few hours back and latest settings are as follows. Do I need to change anything especially the sub? Also what do the numbers below mean? For example Front L says 0.0, does it mean no sound would come out of it?

Front L = 0.0 dB
Front R = +0.5 dB
Center = - 4.0 dB
Surround L = +0.5 dB
Surround R = + 0.5 dB
Subwoofer = -0.5 dB
post #8 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

How do I really do a fool proof test to ensure it works?

Not sure of your settings but if you unplug all your speakers, you can make a safe ranch bet that your sub will be out on the range alone. tongue.gif

FWIW, normally you have two sets of RCA connections, an in and an out. It doesn't matter if you're connected to the left or right "IN" RCA connector.. Dumb question on my part, are you hooked to the "IN" RCA connector on your subwoofer.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 780
The various db settings for your speakers are telling you how the avr is either boosting or cutting the output to your speakers for proper listening at the measured listening point(s) you established in YPAO. You are usually setting the gain on your sub too high at 80% for proper headroom, back it down to 50% or less then re-run YPAO. Do you know what your version of YPAO does for subs?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page