2K or less ideally but could go higher if convinced my room/system need it

2. Size requirements/limits
None

3. Room dimensions
15'x34'x8' = 4080 cubic feet

4. Primary uses
95% Movies or TV Sports

5. Listening habits
I want bass to wow me. Bass that makes visitors notice. Bass that I feel. Having said that, I also want it to be realistic to the source. I want the dinosaur roar to instill fear but I don't want the clap of a hand to sound like thunder!

6. Appearance requirements
None - My current system is flat black so probably should match.

7. Timeframe.
No rush

I've read the What sub at each pricepoint thread and am leaning toward the Rythmik FV15HP.
Also, I was planning to continue to use my current subwoofer, my thinking being that since the reciever has Sub EQ and two subwoofer inputs, the 10" driver and a larger sub might integrate well. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance to everyone for taking the time to read and/or respond!

Sharp LC80LE844U 80-inch 3D LED TV
Onkyo TXNR3009 Home Cinema Receiver
9.1 channels
Paradigm Reference Studio/100 v.2 front speakers
Paradigm CC-350 center-channel
Paradigm ADP-350 surrounds
Paradigm Monitor 9 back speakers
Paradigm Mini Monitor Heights
FV15HP Rythmik subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 588
2 x HSU VTF-15H ($879/ea. + shipping)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
With your lack of size and appearance restrictions (not that they have to be big and ugly) I'd highly recommend looking into DIY.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

That's a pretty enticing suggestion! If I did that, would I retire the Paradigm sub?

9.1 channels
FV15HP Rythmik subwoofer
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
... would I retire the Paradigm sub?
I would. smile.gif
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Dual Epik Empires and ditch the Paradigm or put it in the bedroom or something....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

With your lack of size and appearance restrictions (not that they have to be big and ugly) I'd highly recommend looking into DIY.

What about pseudo-DIY with Danley's DTS-10 kit? Looks like they are still offering it, unless their web site is just wrong. I don't know the current kit price. The old one was around $1000 IIRC. With amp and EQ, could be good for a space that size within budget.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

3 Power Sound XS15s, 2 Rythimk 15HPs.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
2 FV15hps are nice but they are about $2700
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericks64 View Post

I want bass to wow me. Bass that makes visitors notice. Bass that I feel. Having said that, I also want it to be realistic to the source. I want the dinosaur roar to instill fear but I don't want the clap of a hand to sound like thunder!
Quote:
What sub(s) for <2K?...or talk me into spending more.

Okay, and based on your threads title, the answer to your question is; it depends on what you want and how much "WOW!" factor are you personally willing to hit the hip to get? In ascending order, based upon your stated "WOW!" factor, using our personal environment and your stated specification, the simplified road of choice is:

A pair of SVS, PB12-NSD's.

A pair of Hsu, ULS15's.

A single SubMersive HP or F2; second one to be added later.

In our case, due to financial constraints, a second SubMersive HP wil be added later as we recover from the purchase of the first one. Currently, the wife has been informed, in the case of subwoofers, the SubMersive HP has won my heart. Well, actually, for sexiness, the F2 won but due to size constraints, the HP is the chosen runner-up.

Again, in the case of subs, if you're in it for the "WOW!" factor or smile factor, the above choices, for technical reasons (depth of frequency, accuracy of delivery, flat FR curve, the amount of energy delivered in the lower end (-3 to -6 dB in the 16Hz - 20Hz range), evenness of the mid-bass range (30Hz - 120Hz) and the ability to reach THX reference levels in a >3,500 cuft room) these are my recommended choices. At the risk of once again ticking off the entire online audio world, there are no other choices which I see that meets our personal requirements. For various reasons, all other choices, fail.

All three of the above choices come dripping with "WOW!" It's just a matter of money and the more "WOW!" one want's, the more it's going cost. It's really that simple.

In addition to my above, in all seriousness, a room your stated size, with your stated budget, one should consider three or four each of the above recommendations. You stated a flexible budget. For a venue of ~4,100 cuft, including ever so important technicals in which to achieve proper "WOW!" factor SPL's, my minimum beginning recommendation would be three Hsu, ULS-15's. Included benefits of the Hsu, ULS-15 is the wireless feature which aids with ever so important subwoofer placement issues and the good looks of it's Rosenut cabinet veneer comes with high WAF.

In the final, your 4,100cuft home theater venue couple with your stated flexible budget, for many and various technical reasons, personally, I'd go with one of the three choices below and no others:

Four SVS, PB12-NSD's.

Three Hsu, ULS15's.

And for the biggest "WOW!" factor and the most smiles per visitor, a pair or two of either of Seaton's, SubMersive HP or the ever so sexy SubMersive F2's. In my not so humble opinion, anything more or anything less and you're either short changing the "WOW! factor or spending money, simply to spend money. It's your budget, so it's your call. Hope the above helps.

-
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I agree with this recommendation for several reasons. The Hsu VTF-15 excel above 25hz which is where the majority of the subwoofer wow factor resides. Dual subwoofers will also increase the likelihood of achieving a flat frequency response across multiple listening positions. You will also have money left over to buy some sort of EQ device, but this may be unnecessary if you have a receiver with Audessey Multi xt32.

Life is good.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the thoughtful replies. I'm not a DIY guy so out on those suggestions but thanks.

9.1 channels
FV15HP Rythmik subwoofer
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Agree on vtf15h. It definitely wow me. Very very capable and yet reasonably priced. Fills the room very well and the sub is easily felt. Dual of this will put a smile on most people's face.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
With that size room a ported sub is probably a good idea for extension with authority. I have a large room as well and am currently running a single VTF-15H and plan on adding a second. One nice thing about the VTf-15H is the tuning capabilities

That said I would wait to see the upcoming review of the PSA XV15 from Audioholics.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up with one Rythmik FV15HP for now. Really like it. An improvement for sure but I think eventually I will need a second one! Just bought room measurement software and mic so I may see if I can integrate my old sub with the FV15HP and also get some improvements with room treatment or moving the sub around.

9.1 channels
FV15HP Rythmik subwoofer
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
For a few hundred more and bang for the buck, PSA. Dual XV30's or XS30's.

If you could possibly swing another 1k, a JTR S2 would definitely WOW your visitors. smile.gif
Old 05-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

2 FV15hps are nice but they are about $2700
Well he did say in the thread title ".....or talk me into spending more" biggrin.gif

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericks64 View Post

I ended up with one Rythmik FV15HP for now. Really like it. An improvement for sure but I think eventually I will need a second one! Just bought room measurement software and mic so I may see if I can integrate my old sub with the FV15HP and also get some improvements with room treatment or moving the sub around.
I'm not really qualified to recommend one sub over another as I only have experience with my current Rythmik FV15HP and the HSU sub it replaced. I will say that the FV15HP once it loosens up is far and away better than the old HSU in my 5700cu/ft room. They spec it down to 12.5 hz and I can attest to that as it does show quite a bit of activity on my spl meter down around there.

Someday in the not too distant future I will probably get a second FV15HP for all the reasons mentioned in this forum. But until then, I'm happy as can be with one FV15HP.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

For a few hundred more and bang for the buck, PSA. Dual XV30's or XS30's.

If you could possibly swing another 1k, a JTR S2 would definitely WOW your visitors. smile.gif

Hmm. He already has a FV15HP and is considering a second, so I'm curious to understand why you would advocate PSA subs when the OPs current sub will outperform both under ~30Hz?

My recommendation to the OP is to spend some time measuring the response of where your the FV currently is so you can see what you're actually hearing at the LP and to try to optimize its position until you get another.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follz20 View Post

Hmm. He already has a FV15HP and is considering a second, so I'm curious to understand why you would advocate PSA subs when the OPs current sub will outperform both under ~30Hz?

My recommendation to the OP is to spend some time measuring the response of where your the FV currently is so you can see what you're actually hearing at the LP and to try to optimize its position until you get another.

Correct, I missed the post that he already had a FV15HP. A second one would definitely be my next upgrade.