Receiver or Sub broken - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Until recently my bass (Energy ESW-C10) was working correctly with my receiver (Sony STR DN-1010). I believe it stopped working within the past two weeks. During hurricane Sandy I did unplug all my equipment, so it wasn't exposed to any kind of power surge. I just noticed the other day that it wasn't outputting any sound, though the power led is on (which doesn't really mean anything...).

I connected my iphone up to the bass directly. After turning up the volume on the sub, I was able to hear the song playing, though it wasn't very loud. Is this enough evidence to suggest that the bass is working correctly? After making this observation, I moved onto the receiver.

I've set all the other speakers to "small" and set the crossover frequency appropriately. The test tone is audible on all speakers except the sub. When I play a blu-ray, "LFE" appears on the receiver, so this at least tells me that the receiver "thinks" it's putting out the proper signals.

After a few hours I'm unsure about how to proceed. I do have a 4-year warranty on the bass, but I really don't feel like carrying it over to the store to find out that it's still working. Will do this if I have to haha. I hope it's just a settings issue, but I've dug through the manual thoroughly and everything seems to be set correctly :\

What do you guys think? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"I connected my iphone up to the bass directly. After turning up the volume on the sub, I was able to hear the song playing, though it wasn't very loud. Is this enough evidence to suggest that the bass is working correctly? "

You did the standard valid test for a (partially) failed amp which demonstrated that there is something wrong with your amp. You could also connect a CD-DVD player directly because it likely has higher line-level output than your Iphone.

Some people have had similar failures (very low sound level) after moving their subwoofer to another room, another house, or storing it for a few months. Your possible failure (you still need to connect a higher line level output device) could just be an unfortunate fluke. After double-checking, you need to take your subwoofer in for warranty work.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
"You did the standard valid test for a (partially) failed amp which demonstrated that there is something wrong with your amp. You could also connect a CD-DVD player directly because it likely has higher line-level output than your Iphone."

How did my test demonstrate that there is something wrong with my amp? Should the output have been much louder (how loud)? I'll see if I can find a cd-dvd player this evening. Regardless, thank you for your response.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Liked: 11
The problem may be as simple as a bad RCA cable between the receiver and the sub ... try a new known-to-be good cable.

Bill C