Which Seems Better? Klipsch SW112 vs. SVS New PB1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StanGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have thoughts on which of these two may be the better choice? I just saw the PB1000 and already love the two PB12-NDSs that I own. But recently ordered a Klispch SW112.

Should I return the Klipsch?

Thanks.
StanGeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I don't think anyone's going to have any opinions on the SVS just yet. They only announced it today and are just starting to take preorders. So far, unless someone works for SVS (or maybe some reviewers), no ones heard it.

~Nick

 

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Snowmanick is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The PB-1000 performance envelope (FR, max output, bandwidth uniformity) is similar to the PB12-NSD - it just can't play quite as loud. So if you love the PB12-NSD's overall performance characteristics, you'll feel right at home with a PB-1000.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Ed Mullen is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StanGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, Ed!

I was just considering that the SW-112 has a 12-inch driver and the PB1000 has a 10-inch driver. So, I thought the Klipsch may move more air with the larger driver.
StanGeek is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SaviorMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

The PB-1000 performance envelope (FR, max output, bandwidth uniformity) is similar to the PB12-NSD - it just can't play quite as loud. So if you love the PB12-NSD's overall performance characteristics, you'll feel right at home with a PB-1000.

You had me with "19-270Hz +/-3dB." I'm an apartment dweller so pretty much everything you make is loud enough for my needs; and I love the idea of a smaller sub that has the extension I'm looking for but doesn't make me pay for output that I'll never use. In my opinion, these two units flesh out a tier that's been missing from the SVSound line-up for several years now.

What does it mean, though, for max output of the PB1000 to be the same as that of the PB12-NSD, despite being unable to play as loud?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
SaviorMachine is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,386
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

You had me with "19-270Hz +/-3dB." I'm an apartment dweller so pretty much everything you make is loud enough for my needs; and I love the idea of a smaller sub that has the extension I'm looking for but doesn't make me pay for output that I'll never use. In my opinion, these two units flesh out a tier that's been missing from the SVSound line-up for several years now.
What does it mean, though, for max output of the PB1000 to be the same as that of the PB12-NSD, despite being unable to play as loud?

I think he means the compression behavior will be about the same.

Also, if you are in an apartment, and like bass but don't want to bother neighbors, you should look into near-field placement if you haven't already. That way you can still get hit by decent bass without needing to have the sub be nearly as loud as if it were on the other end of the room.
shadyJ is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SaviorMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think he means the compression behavior will be about the same.
Also, if you are in an apartment, and like bass but don't want to bother neighbors, you should look into near-field placement if you haven't already. That way you can still get hit by decent bass without needing to have the sub be nearly as loud as if it were on the other end of the room.

Thanks! I ran my PC12 nearfield for several months, directly behind the MLP. Recently I improved my furniture situation and the new setup disallows rear nearfield. On the other hand the MLP is now in a position that gets a stronger response (per Audyssey at least) even though the sub is now on the other end of the room. It's interesting how the sound has changed: there's definitely less visceral impact, but it's punchier for music and there's a better sense of balance across the bass region.

Ed, do the new 1000s have a limiter indicator like the other Sledge powered models?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
SaviorMachine is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Sw 112 Reference Series Powered Subwoofer Black

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off