post #541 of 1262 Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

The feet are removable I assume. Not counting vibrations, are there any problems with the clearence spaces i've mentioned, as far as ventilation goes?

SVS uses a Class D amp, so there's not much heat; even after I ran it through all my movie tests the amp really wasn't all that warm. However, the only cooling it has is via convection, so you do have to ensure it can breath to some extent.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1262 Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGCanuck View Post

My preference is the PB-1000 but the SVS-1000 may be the one that pleases someone here and the smaller size is the attraction. I just would like your take on how the 2 stack up and if the 13" cube falls that much short of the PB.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for with a good comparison review from Jim. I don't have the WAF issue as she knows the advantages of a larger sub (PB) now that we've both educated ourselves. But we're interested in finding out how much of a compromise in sound quality we'll have to make by getting the smaller one (SB) because of space limitations. If there's that much of a difference, I might have to cut a big hole in the wall or something else drastic to accomodate the larger one! eek.gif
post #543 of 1262 Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i am still waiting for the god damn courier guy. i might have it by Wednesday. that's 2 weeks delivery time! mad.gif
post #544 of 1262 Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

i am still waiting for the god damn courier guy. i might have it by Wednesday. that's 2 weeks delivery time! mad.gif
He may have decided to keep it for himself tongue.gif
post #545 of 1262 Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I ship CRT bellows all over the world And I have to say Europe has the longest delivery times due to the different customs regulations with Italy and Denmark being the worse, it took 3 months once for a shipment to denmark, it sat in Customs for two months.

Nashou
post #546 of 1262 Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM

we have no customs in europe file mou smile.gif

anyway, i just saw that my sub arrived Greece!!! everybody say OPA!

i guess i will have it tomorrow.....

too bad i can't use it until Friday biggrin.gif
post #547 of 1262 Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Congrats!

Oh that's torture 8-)
post #548 of 1262 Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

we have no customs in europe file mou smile.gif

anyway, i just saw that my sub arrived Greece!!! everybody say OPA!

OPA!! Spasta Ola!!!! wink.gif

Nashou
post #549 of 1262 Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 AM

well, it looks like i will not have it today either.

they called me, and they informed me that i will have it tomorrow. (it has been in Greece since Monday). They also asked me some stupid personal questions, because they will have to make a new invoice to the courier (wtf), 'BECAUSE THE BOX IS TOO BIG'.

seriously guys... stay away from Schenker Courier. This is the last time i am doing business with them, and Lsound (where i ordered my sub from) should stop too.
post #550 of 1262 Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM

Good luck hope you get it tomorrow and can begin enjoying it
post #551 of 1262 Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM

i have been 'collecting' all these dts-hd movies for my tests!

Avengers
Jurassic Park 1
Star Wars 3
Matrix 3
Underworld Awakening
Battleship
Transformers 1-2-3

i received my new sub cable from Crystal Audio (looks pretty good)

i got some cable channels, to tide things up.

and i have explained to my gf that i must have some 'private' time for me this weekend.

everything seems ready for Friday!
post #552 of 1262 Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 AM

it is here! smile.gif

i couldn't understand how big the box is until i saw it.... well all i can do for now is stare at it
post #553 of 1262 Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Let me jump into the Euro invasion of the thread and help some folks on this end of the world. I ordered mine from md sound in Germany. They had a promo price plus a 5% discount if you pay via bank transfer. Also, shipping with DHL was surprisingly low and it arrived in one week. So, I ended up getting the PB-1000 for about the same price you get it in US.

OPA! :P

Tonight is testing time smile.gif
post #554 of 1262 Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM

Congrats to both of you, enjoy!
KurtCocain likes this.
post #555 of 1262 Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM

New member here. - I want to upgrade my JBL PB-10 and am considering the new SVS subwoofers. I have Infinity Kappa 600 front speakers and the room is 17x13x9 feet. This is mainly for music (including classical) but also HT. After reading many informative posts in this thread I'm leaning towards the sealed SB1000, or maybe the SB12-NSD. Would those be good choices?

One of the reasons for upgrading is that I absolutely hate the auto-on of the JBL. While listening to quiet music passages the sub goes off with a distracting pop and when bass starts again there is a delay while the sub goes on. Can auto-on be completely disabled on the SVS subs? I read somewhere that even subs with on/auto/off positions turn the amplifier off in the "on" position (LED stays on) when no input is detected...
post #556 of 1262 Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrw View Post

New member here. - I want to upgrade my JBL PB-10 and am considering the new SVS subwoofers. I have Infinity Kappa 600 front speakers and the room is 17x13x9 feet. This is mainly for music (including classical) but also HT. After reading many informative posts in this thread I'm leaning towards the sealed SB1000, or maybe the SB12-NSD. Would those be good choices?

One of the reasons for upgrading is that I absolutely hate the auto-on of the JBL. While listening to quiet music passages the sub goes off with a distracting pop and when bass starts again there is a delay while the sub goes on. Can auto-on be completely disabled on the SVS subs? I read somewhere that even subs with on/auto/off positions turn the amplifier off in the "on" position (LED stays on) when no input is detected...

Welcome to AVS!!

The SVS subs can have auto tun on shut off.

Your room is on the large side for the SB1000, maybe duals would work better .

The PB1000 I think would be a better fit and it does Music very well.

The Sb12 NSD would be better than a single Sb1000 for output for sure.

Give SVS a call they are awesome to ask question to, and give very informative answers.

You can't go wrong with SVS in my Opinion.

nashou
post #557 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 AM

ok guys i really need your help with my PB-1000.

First let's start with a few pics i took quickly yesterday

Sub Arrived...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130220132056492.jpg

Box is much bigger than the actual sub...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130220145739800.jpg

Taking it home...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130220230948618.jpg

Placing it quickly (it was 12 am and i was really tired, excuse the mess)...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130221240120086.jpg

In this pic it looks small.... trust me it is NOT!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130221240126386.jpg

A closer one...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130221240132942.jpg

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ok and here comes the problems / questions .... (This is not my review, or opinion)

1) The Auto On/Off doesn't work. It stays ALWAYS on. i have checked, double checked. It stays ON. (I hate that bright led, i will cover it, because it catches my eye all the time)

2) Configuring the sub.... Man what a new headache i got myself into.... Since i need your help / opinion, i will try and give you as much details as i can...

My Configuration...
Front Speakers : B&W 603 S2 (3 Meters away from me)
Center Speaker : B&W LCR 600 S3 (3 Meters away from me)
Surround Speakers: B&W LM-1( RL is 2,5 Meters away and the RR is 1,5 Meters away)
AV Receiver: Onkyo 609 - Audyssey 2EQ
Subwoofer : SVS PB-1000 (1,5-1,8 Meters away) sitting left from my couch as you can see in the pictures above (but Audyssey finds it is 2,7 meters away, so i change it back to real distance)

Let's say that my room is 8mX5mX2mHeight

Now i have set Phase to 0, Crossover to maximum, and Volume at 12 o'clock.

I run Audyssey and it gives me that it was way too high, so i re-did the test 4-5 times and found out that it needs to be at 10 o'clock in order for Audyssey to find it at 0db. I considered that 10 o'clock was too low (since most of you say that the sub comes alive at 2 o'clock), so after the calibration, i changed the volume of the sub to 12 o'clock. I tested the sub with Terminator Salvation where the big robot first appears. At that point i could really 'feel' the steps of the robot in my room through the floor! (it was really nice and realistic), BUT!! i couldn't hear - feel any bass. there was absolutely no WOW factor..
Just a feeling of "is it going to be like that? 500 euros for that?", and the other problem..... every thing trembles in my room. i have my closet, which i have placed some absorbing things (like the ones we place under the chairs), in order to stop them from trembling that much, but nothing.

to tell you the truth, if it wasn't for my room start shaking things, i could not understand if this thing is actually playing or not.

i talked to Ed Mullen yesterday, he was very supportive with everything. He told me to set my sub at 1 o'clock, which Audyssey found that it needed to be -13 on my sub. after that he advised me to turn the sub volume FROM the AV, which means to get it from -13 to -10 or -9. He told me now to push it more than -7 because it would run too hot in that case. After i did that, i tested the robot scene again, but this time i couldn't feel the robot's steps. isn't that weird?

i know that it needs to run-in (as James said) in order to show its true potential, but i would like to hear your opinions too

Thanks,
Ted
post #558 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

First off, relax. You just got the sub, there's no need to be so frustrated. smile.gif

The PB1000 driver will take 12-15 hours to come into it's own, so you have a ways to go yet (the SB1000 seemed to take even longer then that). I wouldn't do any critical listening until that time, otherwise you might end up formulating an opinion before you know what it can really do. And don't forget; you have a pretty large room for a single 10" sub, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "discrepancy" regarding what Audyssey set things for - it's not 100% accurate, and never has been. In essence it's used to dial in the initial settings, but you're going to have to fine tune things for your specific needs and preferences. Audyssey is just a baseline. Ed knows his subwoofer far better then I do, but for the PB1000 I have for review the ideal setting for me was 0dB on the AVR trim and 2 o'clock on the subs gain. That gives me powerful bass without any noticeable strain, but I never run it at reference volume (0dB).

Don't be concerned about not hearing bass all the time because that's exactly what's supposed to happen. No TV program or movie has constant bass so there will be periods of time where it seems your subwoofer is not doing much, which is precisely as it should be. The 'wow factor' is often attributed to over-emphasized output in the 40Hz-60Hz range, where a lot of perceived deep bass resides. But that's mid-bass, not deep bass. A quality subwoofer will play flat, so it might seem as though it's weaker or less potent but in reality that's not the case; it's actually reproducing the bass the way it was intended. If you have a subwoofer that plays bass all the time it's either not properly tuned or a piece of junk. The PB1000 is not a piece of junk, that I can assure you of. You bought a nice subwoofer, with a little more time -- and perhaps tuning -- it should start to sound very nice.

post #559 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

First off, relax. You just got the sub, there's no need to be so frustrated. smile.gif

The PB1000 driver will take 12-15 hours to come into it's own, so you have a ways to go yet (the SB1000 seemed to take even longer then that). I wouldn't do any critical listening until that time, otherwise you might end up formulating an opinion before you know what it can really do. And don't forget; you have a pretty large room for a single 10" sub, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "discrepancy" regarding what Audyssey set things for - it's not 100% accurate, and never has been. In essence it's used to dial in the initial settings, but you're going to have to fine tune things for your specific needs and preferences. Audyssey is just a baseline. Ed knows his subwoofer far better then I do, but for the PB1000 I have for review the ideal setting for me was 0dB on the AVR trim and 2 o'clock on the subs gain. That gives me powerful bass without any noticeable strain, but I never run it at reference volume (0dB).

Don't be concerned about not hearing bass all the time because that's exactly what's supposed to happen. No TV program or movie has constant bass so there will be periods of time where it seems your subwoofer is not doing much, which is precisely as it should be. The 'wow factor' is often attributed to over-emphasized output in the 40Hz-60Hz range, where a lot of perceived deep bass resides. But that's mid-bass, not deep bass. A quality subwoofer will play flat, so it might seem as though it's weaker or less potent but in reality that's not the case; it's actually reproducing the bass the way it was intended. If you have a subwoofer that plays bass all the time it's either not properly tuned or a piece of junk. The PB1000 is not a piece of junk, that I can assure you of. You bought a nice subwoofer, with a little more time -- and perhaps tuning -- it should start to sound very nice.

^^^ +1 ^^^

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #560 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Hey Jim,

thanks for the post smile.gif, as you said, i am not going to formulate any opinions on this sub until next weekend that i might have it run-in more. right now it has played for like 20 mins? 30?

as you said i didn't like the result i was getting when my avr set my sub at -13 or when i changed it to -10 for example.

i cannot have my sub run at 2 o'clock or can i? let me explain my question better... in order to have my AV set the sub at 0db, i have to set the volume at 10 o'clock. if i change the sub volume to 2 o'clock, wouldn't it be very loud? and when i get the volume up to 75, doesn't that mean that the sub will be running really hot?

when i did my calibration tests at 1 o'clock, the sub was playing loud, i could hear the test tones loud. i can only imagine that if i push it to 2 o'clock and then go up to 70 it will go crazy or even have problems with it. (isn't that right?)

another question is, should i try to raise the bass setting too? now it is at 0.

another question is (biggrin.gif), how is it possible that in my room which i suppose is bigger than yours (from what you say), i need to set my volume at 10 o'clock? in order to get 0db?

thanks
post #561 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Welcome to AVS!!

The SVS subs can have auto tun on shut off.

Your room is on the large side for the SB1000, maybe duals would work better .

The PB1000 I think would be a better fit and it does Music very well.

The Sb12 NSD would be better than a single Sb1000 for output for sure.

Give SVS a call they are awesome to ask question to, and give very informative answers.

You can't go wrong with SVS in my Opinion.

nashou
Thanks for the reply. I called SVS and they indeed confirmed that there is no "hidden" auto standby in their amplifier.
I'm now considering the PB1000 and the SB12 NSD. Is the sealed sub really better for music, especially when I set crossover to 60Hz (not 80Hz), as recommended by SVS for my front speakers?
post #562 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i cannot have my sub run at 2 o'clock or can i? let me explain my question better... in order to have my AV set the sub at 0db, i have to set the volume at 10 o'clock. if i change the sub volume to 2 o'clock, wouldn't it be very loud? and when i get the volume up to 75, doesn't that mean that the sub will be running really hot?

The answer to all your questions is... maybe. wink.gif

As I said, I would listen to Ed Mullen first. In my case that wasn't the settings I used, but you should definitely try it his way. The reason you have all those adjustments is so you could fine tune everything to your likes and needs, so don't be afraid to use them. Can you over do it? Absolutely, but so long as you don't push everything to the limit -- gain, trim, volume, etc. -- you'll usually be fine. Your system might not be perfectly tuned that way, in the classic sense anyway, but so long as it sounds good to you what else matters? Perhaps that's oversimplifying things but it boils down to trying to get everything tuned "correctly", and then make adjustments that sound good to you.

post #563 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Ted you have to remember as well it looks like you have Tiled floor. There will be many reflections that Audyssey will have to deal with.

But I felt the same as you did in the beginning but knew that my 1996 Velodyne VA 1012X only really went down to 25-30Hz but it had a lot of output at 70hz. It had a 6db bump there.

This PB1000 is pretty flat in my room. So do not forget the room has a lot to do with it, and this sub goes down to 18hz, we can't hear that low.

And at 46 years old I played test tones and only began to hear it at 24hz but could feel the lower tones.

Athanasios
post #564 of 1262 Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM

I received my pb1000 and my receiver today. I'm still waiting on my speakers so right now I have my Z-5500 speakers with its sub turned all the way down and the pb1000 connected to the receiver. I listened to a little music and it doesn't have the oomph of the other sub, but I know that is because of the difference in frequency response between the two. I'll have to get used to it. Then I fired up Battlefield 3. WOW. With the Logitech sub if you were in a tank it would be a constant rumble when moving, it got a little annoying. With the pb1000 the rumble drops off quite a bit and when you fire the main cannon you can tell this sub goes low! It's a totally different experience. It's a lot better than the constant in your face bass of the other sub.
I haven't done any room correction yet, and I have the dial at 12. I would have hooked up the Logitech speakers to the receiver but I have the first gen with the rca plugs. This sub definitely has a lot of potential. I'm going to throw some movies at it this weekend, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
post #565 of 1262 Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 AM

@AD, i have a Logitech z-5500 system as well. the sub was really annoying me. it was always there to tell u "CAN U HEAR ME NOW? BOOM!".

my PB-1000 has a long run until i make a final decision about is it good or not. (at least for my taste).

@Nashou - i also have carpet in the main area, but still i can understand what you mean about reflections. i am really looking for a way to buy a cheap Auralex Gramma, but it seems that i am not going to find one. The problem is that i will probably need that b1tch. (70 euros for foam). and by the way, i am going to make an acoustic panel, and i would like any thoughts of anyone who has some experience on this...

i want to print an image on a fiber (don't know what i should use) and make that a painting on my wall. Inside the painting (behind the fiber) i want to use some acoustic material to help with the reflections. (the painting will be on the opposite wall of the sub). can you give me any help with that?

by the way, how did u play those test tones? i want to try them too smile.gif
post #566 of 1262 Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Ted, not sure what is your AVR and software options, but on mine there are two key settings for Audissey:

1) Dynamic EQ - make sure it is set to ON
2) Dynamic Volume - this one you can set to Medium for example

I am still not sure if I want both options, but I have them on for now.
post #567 of 1262 Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 AM

Dyn EQ is ON
Dynamic Volume always Light my friend. Medium destroys the dynamics. Light just makes it better in lower volumes. I have tested Dynamic Volume a lot of times.

I will conquer that sub. It is just a matter of time and money
post #568 of 1262 Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

A quality subwoofer will play flat, so it might seem as though it's weaker or less potent but in reality that's not the case; it's actually reproducing the bass the way it was intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Device View Post

I listened to a little music and it doesn't have the oomph of the other sub, but I know that is because of the difference in frequency response between the two. I'll have to get used to it. Then I fired up Battlefield 3. WOW. With the Logitech sub if you were in a tank it would be a constant rumble when moving, it got a little annoying. With the pb1000 the rumble drops off quite a bit and when you fire the main cannon you can tell this sub goes low! It's a totally different experience. It's a lot better than the constant in your face bass of the other sub.

What you described is exactly what I had alluded to earlier; bass is not present all the time. It should be their to augment, not overpower. It does take some getting used to initially, but after you become accustom to what it's supposed to sound like I can almost guarantee you'll never go back.

post #569 of 1262 Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Ted, before hooking up the sub in its current location did you bring the sub out to the middle of the room and set its volume using a sound meter to match the
level of the speakers. Then run Audyssey. Then adjust the PB1000's volume to where you like it. Audyssey from what I read is not always correct.

My receiver has no EQ so I set it with a SPL meter. It is a must have piece of equipment. Also you should
use REW to measure your rooms response and see where the best location for your sub is. Its amazing how the curve can change with just a
small location move of the sub and or speakers.

Athanasios
post #570 of 1262 Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM

i haven't bought an spl meter yet. lot of expenses running lately.

i believe that an auralex is more important than the spl meter right now. and i can't change the location of my sub in the room. there is no other space that it can go. after the auralex (which i hope it will help with the vibrations) then i will look for an spl meter to run REW. then i will get an advice from you guys, whether i need a miniDSP or not.

As we said this is a hobby that never ends.... after i finish with the whole sub story,

i will try to install ambilight or in my case adalight, on my XBMC

after that i will move to my 7.1 subject. to try and find the best solution for surround back in my space. (another 150-200 euros there)

then i have set my eyes on a darby for my TV. to make my image even better looking smile.gif

then i hope i will stop..... biggrin.gif

and then i will move on to better room decoration....

PS. Damn i need professional help.....
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page