Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1234 Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

Well, I don't have a PB/SB-1000...But...
I am running DefTech 8060-ST's with my PC12-PLUS. The SVS definitely rocks the house, a huge improvement, awesome sub...

Nice! I'd be curious to know your settings on the Def Tech Towers' subs and the SVS's (i.e., where are the knobs situated on the 8060s; and what's your gain and crossover setting on the SVS?). Do you run any EQ (Audyssey or Anti-Mode...something to that effect? I've wondered what people do when they have built-in subs with their mains (typically Polks or Def Techs...sometimes Genelecs), yet run a separate sub or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1234 Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
Just want to thank Jim and everyone else who helped me decide on my first real sub. My PB1000 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow biggrin.gif. I've been loading up my Netflix queue with the movies recommended in the various threads here. Can't wait.
post #723 of 1234 Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenz1 View Post

Just want to thank Jim and everyone else who helped me decide on my first real sub. My PB1000 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow biggrin.gif. I've been loading up my Netflix queue with the movies recommended in the various threads here. Can't wait.

Congrats on your new toy! After you get it all broken in be sure to come back and post your thoughts.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #724 of 1234 Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsawyer09 View Post

Nice! I'd be curious to know your settings on the Def Tech Towers' subs and the SVS's (i.e., where are the knobs situated on the 8060s; and what's your gain and crossover setting on the SVS?). Do you run any EQ (Audyssey or Anti-Mode...something to that effect? I've wondered what people do when they have built-in subs with their mains (typically Polks or Def Techs...sometimes Genelecs), yet run a separate sub or two.

Well, it's a work in progress at this point...
As it sits right now, I used an SPL meter at the MLP to set the sub gains. I set each sub to 68~70db which gives me 75~77db with all subs on. The DefTechs are at about 9 o'clock the SVS is at -20db set for 16Hz tune. The XO is at 80Hz for the mains and center, the surrounds are at 120Hz.
I ran Audyssey MultEQ XT. Here are REW sweeps before and after Audyssey.

Audyssey did not help me much, it created a rather large hump below about 44Hz and it sounded boomy, so I turned it off.

I'm currently working on getting my BFD setup (firmware upgrade, it had 1.3), but it's not installed yet. So, as it sits right now, no DSP, no audyssey and it sounds pretty good....I know it can sound much better...

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #725 of 1234 Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

Well, it's a work in progress at this point...
As it sits right now, I used an SPL meter at the MLP to set the sub gains. I set each sub to 68~70db which gives me 75~77db with all subs on. The DefTechs are at about 9 o'clock the SVS is at -20db set for 16Hz tune. The XO is at 80Hz for the mains and center, the surrounds are at 120Hz.
I ran Audyssey MultEQ XT. Here are REW sweeps before and after Audyssey.

Audyssey did not help me much, it created a rather large hump below about 44Hz and it sounded boomy, so I turned it off.

I'm currently working on getting my BFD setup (firmware upgrade, it had 1.3), but it's not installed yet. So, as it sits right now, no DSP, no audyssey and it sounds pretty good....I know it can sound much better...

Hey, thanks so much for the information! I really appreciate it. I'm very curious about all of this, because it seems about one step more complicated to get 'active' speakers (or, speakers with bass modules in them) dialed-in with an external sub.

It all began with a friend of mine's purchase: a pair of Def Tech Mythos STs. I somewhat chronicled it in the speakers forum a few weeks back, trying to figure out how to cross-over his SVS SB12-NSD sub with his Mythoses, while running an Antimode 8033. I think since then, we've got it sitting pretty good; and running REW in his space shows that we've probably done about all we can do. It does sound very nice, though.

I've since picked-up a pair of the Mythos STs as well for a 2-channel-only system. Wonderful speaker, BTW (but I'll maybe talk about that on the Mythos forum)! I also have the same SVS sub as my friend, running the Antimode 8033 as well.

I have done measurements with the right speaker's gain dial at about 9:30, and the left speaker at about 10:30 (the R is about 4.5 ft. from a side wall; the L about 7 ft. from the other side wall, which then opens-up, or fires into/toward an archway where a dining/kitchen area with equal space as my listening room resides. So, there's quite a bit of cubic feet that needs to be pressurized. Now, the SVS sub is on the back wall beside my couch/listening position at nearfield. At the moment, I've set the phase at around 90-degrees (I tried 0 and 180 as well, but honestly could not tell much of a difference here), the gain around 1:00, and the crossover at 75Hz. After fiddling with measurements in order to calibrate the speakers/sub (once landing on the above) so they'd both be 75dB, I ran test tones using an SPL meter, C-weighted and set for slow for the bass, mids and highs from Stereophile's Test CD2.

Thus far, in this configuration, from 20Hz to 20kHz, things are pretty good overall (though I've no doubt they could be better...just not certain how to tackle it yet). Across the spectrum, it is admirably flat (within +/- 2dB) for the exception of the following: The bass starts to roll off at 25Hz, then drops like a brick before registering at 20Hz (down about -9dB). I'd like to get a better response from my bass, seeing that I essentially have '3 subs', but am uncertain how to tackle this, either. I have a nasty -10db dip for some reason between 100Hz - 125Hz; a +9dB rise between 4k - 6k; and then the response rolls off from 16k - 20k. All of this is with the Antimode 8033 in the chain.

So right now, I'm trying to get as much information from folks who own similar speakers, and what they do to get all of their subwoofers to work together for the best sound/measurements.

Anyway, I really appreciate hearing your experiences on the matter ceh...
post #726 of 1234 Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM

Mr. Wilson -

Thank you for the great comparison review of the PB1000 and the SB1000. I knew even before you obtained the SB1000 for review that the PB would outshine the SB as far as depth. But still, I wanted to see and educated first-hand review describing in detail the "compromise" I will be making by not getting the PB. As you may recall, because of the limited space in my condo and the one wall dedicated to my home theatre (with exception to my 2 surrounds in the rear) I have no choice but to go with the SB footprint. Unfortunately, the WAF is also a big consideration in this decision making process.

So I'm down now to the SVS SB1000 and the SB-12 NSD. Is it almost a no-brainer to save/spend the extra 150 bucks and get the SB-12 (1" dimensional difference all the way around) or will the SB1000 fit the bill just fine? I watch more movies than music but would still like the good capabilities for music too.

Would also like Ed Mullen's input too if he's still around! smile.gif

Thanks!
post #727 of 1234 Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone have any experience with Def Tech Supercube 2's vs what the new SVS PB1000 have to offer? Am considering switching over. Thoughts?
post #728 of 1234 Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoys1 View Post

Mr. Wilson -

Thank you for the great comparison review of the PB1000 and the SB1000. I knew even before you obtained the SB1000 for review that the PB would outshine the SB as far as depth. But still, I wanted to see and educated first-hand review describing in detail the "compromise" I will be making by not getting the PB. As you may recall, because of the limited space in my condo and the one wall dedicated to my home theatre (with exception to my 2 surrounds in the rear) I have no choice but to go with the SB footprint. Unfortunately, the WAF is also a big consideration in this decision making process.

You're welcome. I'm glad you found the review helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoys1 View Post

So I'm down now to the SVS SB1000 and the SB-12 NSD. Is it almost a no-brainer to save/spend the extra 150 bucks and get the SB-12 (1" dimensional difference all the way around) or will the SB1000 fit the bill just fine? I watch more movies than music but would still like the good capabilities for music too.

Generally speaking you should try and purchase the best audio components you're able to, including the sub. The SB1000 is impressive, but if your budget allows for the SB12-NSD that's probably the better alternative. Going that route would also eliminate any second guessing.

post #729 of 1234 Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub4bearin View Post

Quick question: was watching Avatar today on my ascend sierras and my brand new SB 1000. Everything was fine. Then I put on CD with some music on my BR player and noticed that after while my sub went in standby mode (red LED). Why would that happen?
Thanks.

What sort of listening mode were you using while playing the music? If you were using some sort of "pure", "pure direct", or "pure audio" mode (name varies by AVR brand) that can disable bass management while that mode is engaged.
post #730 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM

JimWilson & Others AVS members

I will be placing a order for a SVS sub woofer but undecided on which one.

Only watch TV Dramas & Movie 100%.

Do you think a PB-1000 will be appropriate or should I purchase SB12-NSD?

This is my room (pictured below)
Second half of the room is empty with no furniture.
I have suspended wooden laminate floor and have ordered a Auralex SubDude HD Subwoofer Isolator.

post #731 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
I cant read the # opposite the couch. Is that the footage for all the way to the wall? It needs to be.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #732 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I cant read the # opposite the couch. Is that the footage for all the way to the wall? It needs to be.

22 ft is from wall to wall (total) therefore from sofa to middle of the living room is 11 ft.

post #733 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
for the price your going to spend on a pb12-nsd you can get s XV-15 PSA and it will have more output than SVS. I was just in the same boat as you.
post #734 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAGMASTERS View Post

I have suspended wooden laminate floor and have ordered a Auralex SubDude HD Subwoofer Isolator.
I did not say PB12 NSD, its way out of my budget.
Here is another picture of my living room

post #735 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

a sb12-nsd is 649.00. with the size of your room i would spend an extra 100.00 and get the xs-15 from psa.
i inquired about dual sb12-nsd for my 20x15 room with a 6ft opening into my foyer and den. i was told it would not be enough. so im just offering friendly advice.
post #736 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM

The thing is I really do not want to spend more than £500 (PB-1000) unless it is a must, therefore the cost of sb12-nsd is pushing my limits (£££) way of track. Please remember, I only watch TV/Movies 100% of the time.
post #737 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The thing is I really do not want to spend more than £500 (PB-1000) unless it is a must, therefore the cost of sb12-nsd is pushing my limits (£££) way of track. Please remember, I only watch TV/Movies 100% of the time.
I would tell you to get 2 Klipsch RW-12d but your international. England? I think a pb1000 would do you well. You have significantly less space than basshead81. The pb has more output than the sb but the sb is a little more accurate. Since you are 100% movies I would definitely get the pb if it were me.

post #738 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where were you planning on putting the sub? Chances are the PB1000 would be the better alternative, given your usage, but placement might change my mind on that one.

post #739 of 1234 Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

+1 A picture of the back of the room would be nice.

post #740 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 AM

i am going to get an Auralex Gramma today. I decided that if i was going to make it on my own, i had to find a lot of materials which i tried to find, but i run into morons. So instead of spending 30-40 euros on something that will probably not be as good as the real thing, i decided to spend the 70 euros on it.

i hope it will clear the sound of the sub.

the problem is that my sub is under my office. when it plays and i am sitting at my office, there are times that i simply want to turn it off. the sound and the trembling is THAT bad. i am guessing it is the fact that the sub has wood at the left side, wall behind it at 10-15cm, and wood above it. (office). if you consider the vibrations traveling through the floor too, then you can imagine what i am dealing with.

If i am sitting on my couch, there is no problem, i can't hear that awful noise. So... i really hope Auralex will help me clear the sound, stop the vibrations on the wood, and let me turn the volume up on the sub, without hating the result.

a little reminder of my sub's space.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130221240120086.jpg

(excuse for the mess, i have cleaned every cable now. you can't see a thing smile.gif )
post #741 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Where were you planning on putting the sub? Chances are the PB1000 would be the better alternative, given your usage, but placement might change my mind on that one.

This is my first sub, either;
a) at the front next to the tv stand.
b) at the left front corner of room.
c) at the back left corner of the room.

What place would you recommand out of all the places.

A sofa is facing the tv (listening position) and behind the sofa is the room wall, no gap.

Listening position (sofa) distance;
9ft center speaker
11ft front speakers
2ft rear speakers

Dali Suite speakers
Onkoyo 608 AV

I was desperate, ordered the pb-1000 today. (wrong decision?)

post #742 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

i am going to get an Auralex Gramma today. I decided that if i was going to make it on my own, i had to find a lot of materials which i tried to find, but i run into morons. So instead of spending 30-40 euros on something that will probably not be as good as the real thing, i decided to spend the 70 euros on it.

i hope it will clear the sound of the sub.

the problem is that my sub is under my office. when it plays and i am sitting at my office, there are times that i simply want to turn it off. the sound and the trembling is THAT bad. i am guessing it is the fact that the sub has wood at the left side, wall behind it at 10-15cm, and wood above it. (office). if you consider the vibrations traveling through the floor too, then you can imagine what i am dealing with.

If i am sitting on my couch, there is no problem, i can't hear that awful noise. So... i really hope Auralex will help me clear the sound, stop the vibrations on the wood, and let me turn the volume up on the sub, without hating the result.

a little reminder of my sub's space.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12119047/CameraZOOM-20130221240120086.jpg

(excuse for the mess, i have cleaned every cable now. you can't see a thing smile.gif )
Good luck with that. Let us know if the Gramma helps.

post #743 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

yea i thought the 22ft was just your living room not across both rooms. that sub should be fine, however the klipsch rw12-d for 279.00 at new egg is a smoking deal and will offer the same performance. it has a max spl of 116db and has great response to 20hz. now when this sub was originally 1000.00 it was not worth the coin, but 279.00 is a steal. i almost bought a pair to replace my 505's.
post #744 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

yea i thought the 22ft was just your living room not across both rooms. that sub should be fine, however the klipsch rw12-d for 279.00 at new egg is a smoking deal and will offer the same performance. it has a max spl of 116db and has great response to 20hz. now when this sub was originally 1000.00 it was not worth the coin, but 279.00 is a steal. i almost bought a pair to replace my 505's.
He is outside the USA.

post #745 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

He is outside the USA.

oops my bad...ill stay out of this thread! GL with the pb1000!!
post #746 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

oops my bad...ill stay out of this thread! GL with the pb1000!!
No reason to stay out of this thread.

post #747 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is my first sub, either;
a) at the front next to the tv stand.
b) at the left front corner of room.
c) at the back left corner of the room.

What place would you recommand out of all the places.

I was desperate, ordered the pb-1000 today. (wrong decision?)

Desperate? A little impatient are you? tongue.gif I doubt you'll regret getting the PB-1000 - it's a nice subwoofer.

As far as placement goes... unfortunately that's not something anyone can predict. Each room is different, and the only real way to know what sounds best would be to try it in each of the locations. If you decide to do that my suggestion would be in the A, C, B order. That left front corner seems like you would be forced to have the driver facing directly into the sofa, which isn't a good idea.

post #748 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 AM

how well can your center handle low frequencies? if it has some punch, then i would consider having the PB-1000 at the back wall Option C. But if i understand phase correctly (which i still can't....) you might want to change it to Phase 180, instead of 0. since the sub is going to be looking ur front speakers and not you.

since ur floor is wood, i would suggest a piece of carpet under your sub. if i am having problems with tiles and so on.... i can only imagine that all you will hear is BOOM! around ur house.

for sure the PB-1000 will fill your space pretty well.

if you use the front wall option, you will be blocking 2 out 3 speakers with that couch.
post #749 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

He said he has a SubDude on the way.

post #750 of 1234 Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

since ur floor is wood, i would suggest a piece of carpet under your sub. if i am having problems with tiles and so on.... i can only imagine that all you will hear is BOOM! around ur house.
Carpet under the sub is OK, so are rubber feet. They won't do anything to improve the bass or stop rattling of objects in the house or stop transmission though the walls, floor and ceiling, but they will help keep the sub from bouncing about. The main issue with wood or tile floors is high frequency and midrange smear. You need to carpet at least 75% of the floor to control that. As for the subdud, it does nothing that carpet or rubber feet don't do.
Consider the subwoofer to be a cannon, shooting low frequency sound waves. If you placed a real cannon atop some wood and foam it would not stop the cannon shells from going through the walls. By the same token some bits of wood and foam under a sub will not stop the low frequency sound waves from going through walls either.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page